Where in Oct / Nov would make a fun trip???

As said the weather could be anything. I've done the Pyrenees the last to mid to late September's and weather superb first time and horribly cold and wet second time.

I also found most of the hotels closed mainly on the French side but you'll have much quieter roads. Picos would be a good call as it's not as high as the alps/Pyrenees.

Picos would be my choice. I've been there at the end of October and it was still 20+c during the daytime, although it drops rapidly as altitude increases. 20c became 10c near the top and evenings can be cool too. Brittany Ferries cuts out the long drag through France, including the colder, and probably wetter bit at the North

Aye, June was really good this year, nice weather and the kids were still at school....

I havent done Spain yet.....is it feasible to head for the Pyrenees and drop in and out as the weather dictates?

Your idea of the southern French coast does have appeal, with the hills in striking distance when weather permits..

Chris...:D

Yes the Pyrenees are awesome you can drop either side France or Spain, my preference is the Spanish side for overnight accommodation.

Places like Jaca, Viella, Pamplona, Broto and San Sebastian are all great places to visit.

As for roads the coast road from Perpignan - Figueres D914 France - N-260 Spain is fantastic beautiful sea side towns along the way.

The N-260 from Ripoli to Alp is another gem.

The northern main road out of Pamplona N-135 is amazing in either direction

The A-136 from Biescas going north turning into the D934 to Laurens is stunning quite elevated so need a snow forecast.

Then there are the french passes like Col de Tourmalet and Col D'Aspin .

You could head back to Blighty via Ferry from Bilbao or Santander but the bay of biscay could be quite naughty in October.

Alternatively you could head back up through France to St Malo or Caen and ferry back from there.

Endless options.

Yes the Pyrenees are awesome you can drop either side France or Spain, my preference is the Spanish side for overnight accommodation.

Places like Jaca, Viella, Pamplona, Broto and San Sebastian are all great places to visit.

As for roads the coast road from Perpignan - Figueres D914 France - N-260 Spain is fantastic beautiful sea side towns along the way.

The N-260 from Ripoli to Alp is another gem.

The northern main road out of Pamplona N-135 is amazing in either direction

The A-136 from Biescas going north turning into the D934 to Laurens is stunning quite elevated so need a snow forecast.

Then there are the french passes like Col de Tourmalet and Col D'Aspin .

You could head back to Blighty via Ferry from Bilbao or Santander but the bay of biscay could be quite naughty in October.

Alternatively you could head back up through France to St Malo or Caen and ferry back from there.

Endless options.

Did pretty much all these last September, can be bloody chilly up top particularly before 10am but warms up nicely, I'd do it all again tomorrow.

I would head to Spain in late Sept or Oct
Warm by day in the Picos etc
Always had good weather even into Nov and first snow on the tops

I agree with JB. The Picos is good but I wouldn't spend 10 days there, you could head a bit further south and the weather should be a bit warmer again.

Northern Spain and Portugal you cannot beat it at that time of the year good hotels at sensible prices well maintained roads with no one on them great scenery. Take the ferry from Portsmouth or Plymouth

Which is?

Seeing as you asked......

Getting there

Day1...Ijmuiden to Metz

Day2...Metz to Annecy

The fun bit

Day3......Annecy to Grenoble via the range of hills directly south of Annecy (Le Semnoz)

Day4......Grenoble to Gap via D526 (Col d'Ornan)

Day5 .....Gap to Castellane via Napolean

Day6......Castellane to Nice (Napoleon) to Vence to Castellane via D2

Day7......Castellane to Gorge Du Verdon to Castellane

Day 8.....Castellane to Gorges du Dalius toGorge du Cians to Castellane

Day 9.....Castellane to Grenoble...probably Napoleon or a re-jigged Napoleon

Day10....Grenoble to Geneva....dont know yet

Day 11...Geneva to Luxembourg

Day12.... Luxembourg to Ijmuiden

Please feel free to coment on or suggest improvements, the days are short so that I can enjoy them, weather permitting!!!!, I have also tried to keep altitude lowish....

Chris...:D

Personally, unless you’re travelling in large numbers, I’d adopt a less structured plan. You won’t have trouble getting ferries or hotels at that time of year (other than some of the French hotels in the tourist areas will be closed). You can comfortably sit in the hotel bar with your iPad looking at the weather and plotting your next move on the fly.

Southern France or Spain. Dont book hotels etc until there, via smartphone and booking.com
Then you are in control for avoiding any bad weather. Did a Pyrenees trip 2 year back end October start November. Weather was fantastic. 1 day after crossing back in to France they had snow. That said, seen snow in the Alps in July.

Personally, unless you’re travelling in large numbers, I’d adopt a less structured plan. You won’t have trouble getting ferries or hotels at that time of year (other than some of the French hotels in the tourist areas will be closed). You can comfortably sit in the hotel bar with your iPad looking at the weather and plotting your next move on the fly.

Good morning Harry The Cat,

The plan isn't cast in stone yet, but I must admit that I like the "peace of mind" of having everything pre-booked and micro-researched!!!!

However.....your suggestion does appeal and holds more appeal considering the time of year.

Sitting in the hotel bar with a beer and a map deciding where to go tomorrow....that's where its at!!!....:thumb

French Alps in November :blast good luck with that.

To be fair, the routes are low and short.........where would be a better option in your experience?

Southern France or Spain. Dont book hotels etc until there, via smartphone and booking.com
Then you are in control for avoiding any bad weather. Did a Pyrenees trip 2 year back end October start November. Weather was fantastic. 1 day after crossing back in to France they had snow. That said, seen snow in the Alps in July.

This seems to be the way to do it.....I will probably loosely keep my original plan and book ahead as you guys mention.

If you use booking.com or similar engines, you can often book hotels months in advance and then cancel them at short notice. That short notice may well be as short as 24 hours prior to arrival. This is perfect for vague holidays such as you are planning, where you are at the whim of the weather and, seemingly, at the whim of the last person you talk to.

As it stands, there is nothing at all wrong with the plan you have made in post #31. Will it work exactly as you anticipate it might; will the weather be kind, will you fall off, will you have the puncture from hell, will some other calamity (or exciting change of plan) overtake you between today and the first day of the last week of October or the last day of the first week of November, will you even have a bike then? Nobody knows. Would someone else have done it your way or would they have gone in July or gone to Spain? It doesn’t matter! They are them, you are you! Just book it up and change your mind when and if you must (as you doubtless will) or this thread will never end.

To be fair, the routes are low and short.........where would be a better option in your experience?

As I said earlier in the topic, the Picos or even the Spanish Pyrenees, done them the last two Septembers, however I've never been to that part of France you refer to so what do I know, either way as also stated by others, the time of year, you can have a loose plan, enjoy.

If you use booking.com or similar engines, you can often book hotels months in advance and then cancel them at short notice. That short notice may well be as short as 24 hours prior to arrival. This is perfect for vague holidays such as you are planning, where you are at the whim of the weather and, seemingly, at the whim of the last person you talk to.

As it stands, there is nothing at all wrong with the plan you have made in post #31. Will it work exactly as you anticipate it might; will the weather be kind, will you fall off, will you have the puncture from hell, will some other calamity (or exciting change of plan) overtake you between today and the first day of the last week of October or the last day of the first week of November, will you even have a bike then? Nobody knows. Would someone else have done it your way or would they have gone in July or gone to Spain? It doesn’t matter! They are them, you are you! Just book it up and change your mind when and if you must (as you doubtless will) or this thread will never end.

I kinda like this summary....everyone has their own idea of what a good time is

As I said earlier in the topic, the Picos or even the Spanish Pyrenees, done them the last two Septembers, however I've never been to that part of France you refer to so what do I know, either way as also stated by others, the time of year, you can have a loose plan, enjoy.
:beerjug:

You need a plan or you will have nothing to deviate from, and it looks very good to me. I would just book ahead one day at a time and be prepared for lots of changing of plans.

For accommodation near Grenoble this place takes some beating;

http://en.hotellemarronnier.com/accueil.htm

And in Luxembourg I like staying here;

https://www.grandhotel.lu/fr

A short walk into the nice town centre, although it seemed fairly quiet when I was there in mid September so you might find a lot of stuff closed in November, but the Hotel has a Pool / Steam Room and Sauna which I always appreciate and prices are pretty reasonable.

I would imagine you will also have Gorge du Verdon to yourself at that time of year, so take your own drinks as I expect the Café will be shut by then - as will all of the ones on Alpine passes - assuming they are passable, which will be a lottery, but again, if you strike it lucky you will have the roads to yourself, just don't crash and break a leg as you might not be found until next June.

Back
Top Bottom