Where in Oct / Nov would make a fun trip???

chrismckay

Reaction score
Hello Guys.........

Just back from a few weeks in the Alps, had a brilliant time and cant wait to get back!!!! However the only period of free time I have this year is a 2 weeks in the last week of October and the first week of November. I have no experience of what to expect in terms of weather at this time of year!!!

Basically I would like to ask the forum for advice of where to go at this time of year, I would have 10 days on location, wherever that location may be Im not too fussed as long as i am among the Alps, whether it be the lower passes or the valley floors. My initial thought are the Dolomite's or perhaps Route Napoleon but I am not sure what else to link it up with.

I camped earlier this month and it was perfect, but for the Oct/Nov trip I would be staying in hotels, not fussed if it is a different place every night or one location as a base to do day trips from.

Any suggestions will be really appreciated.

Chris...:thumb

The light goes at the end of October, due to the hour change.

The weather? Well, it could be anything. October is generalv one of the driest months but it inevitably gets cold into November, not helped by the shorter days. It will almost certainly snow on the tops.

I’d head to the French Alps as, if it is horrible, you have the option to escape out of the mountains.

There are lots of very good websites with historic weather data, right down almost to a town level. Whilst it’s no prediction as to what it will be like on say 02 November 2018, you’ll at least know the min / max temperature range.

The light goes at the end of October, due to the hour change.

The weather? Well, it could be anything. October is generalv one of the driest months but it inevitably gets cold into November, not helped by the shorter days. It will almost certainly snow on the tops.

I’d head to the French Alps as, if it is horrible, you have the option to escape out of the mountains.

There are lots of very good websites with historic weather data, right down almost to a town level. Whilst it’s no prediction as to what it will be like on say 02 November 2018, you’ll at least know the min / max temperature range.

Good evening Wapping, thanks for the reply....

I have been having a look at the historical data and trying to gain some knowledge. I get a lot of pleasure out of planning my trips, perhaps not to the level of detail as yourself!!!!.....but it certainly is a rewarding part of the whole motorcycle touring thing for me. For the past 5 years I have been on solo trips and my preference is to go in June and have every night booked in advance before I go, this works for me, it then gives me the opportunity to research the actual villages or campsites and restaurants that are local.

However I think that to plan this trip in such a way would back fire in terms of the unpredictability of the weather, so for the first time I will book my accomodaion "on the hoof", using booking.com or airbnb.

I will heed your advice and see what options France has for good weather days and for not so good weather.

Chris...:)

Even if the weather is good, you may find many hotels are closed as their summer season has ended and winter season yet to begin. I went to the Mont Ventoux area at the end of winter and many roads were still closed - I stayed in hotels in large towns or cities as not much open in the sticks. I did an overnight stop in Vichy and it was like a ghost town! Avignon which was quite warm was bustling.

Check ferry/tunnel prices and book now as prices may go up if the weather is nice and there is a sudden demand from people on half term holidays.

Good point about hotel closures.

We went to the Dolomites in the last week of September / first week of October. Several places were shut, with temperatures that fluctuated between 25c to -2c and sleet. Always chilly once the sun dropped behind the mountains.

I used to do my trips in October to coincide with my missis going back to the UK to see her folks.

However the last one i did was about 5 years ago and feck me it was bloody cold.

I think id had every conceivable weather thrown at me.
First full day riding from Caen - Metz it was a howling gale the weather deteriorated to torrential rain somewhere near Le Harve it turned to hail then sleet then a deluge of snow.

Fortunately as quick at it came down it cleared and melted off the roads and then the sun came out.
That year i went into Germany I'm not sure why but Germany was so cold probably 5-6 degrees colder than France which took it sub zero at one point - 6. So i got back into France.
We once left Monaco (in October on another trip) going up the D6204 to Italy It was a pleasant sunny afternoon going up fabulous road, at the top we went through a tunnel on the other side it was thick with snow so be wary.

Please don't let me put you off :D i think i had freak weather but just be sure you get a decent forecast beforehand.

I would recommend getting down to the Med near St tropez or Nice where you can go into the mountain roads and return to the warmer coastal towns.
Better still get into Spain its much cheaper and the roads are amazing.

I now go in June

I would recommend getting down to the Med near St tropez or Nice where you can go into the mountain roads and return to the warmer coastal towns.
Better still get into Spain its much cheaper and the roads are amazing.

I now go in June

Aye, June was really good this year, nice weather and the kids were still at school....

I havent done Spain yet.....is it feasible to head for the Pyrenees and drop in and out as the weather dictates?

Your idea of the southern French coast does have appeal, with the hills in striking distance when weather permits..

Chris...:D

Ok Guys,

Can anybody add any suggestions or nice roads for trips based on the following locations, and also let me know which location would be your choice.

If I were to head to Annecy and work my way south to Nice or Menton.....what would make a nice route that would be weather proof and if it was a nice day what could my options be for a mountain blast on the way down.

Would it be feasible to concentrate doing the Italian lakes with the hope of a nice couple of days and heading North.....any suggestions for a nice hill day north of Como?

The Italian Dolomites......too risky? what you think?

I would head to Spain in late Sept or Oct
Warm by day in the Picos etc
Always had good weather even into Nov and first snow on the tops

Why not try Portugal, ferry to Satander and then a short hop south.
Petrol is bloody expensive but food, drink and accommodation is not.
Weather is generally very pleasant in September and October!
There are some fabulous roads so just go and take your pick.

Ok Guys,

Can anybody add any suggestions or nice roads for trips based on the following locations, and also let me know which location would be your choice.

If I were to head to Annecy and work my way south to Nice or Menton.....what would make a nice route that would be weather proof and if it was a nice day what could my options be for a mountain blast on the way down.

Would it be feasible to concentrate doing the Italian lakes with the hope of a nice couple of days and heading North.....any suggestions for a nice hill day north of Como?

The Italian Dolomites......too risky? what you think?

Just to remind everyone:

The OP is looking for suggestions based on a two week holiday on his motorbike (he’ll pass on camping this time) spanning the last week of October thro’ the first week of November.

Carry on....

Been to the south of France a couple of times for the last week of October, first time was great weather(Carcassonne/eastern Pyrenees), second time was shite(Provence).

I would aim for somewhere where there is an option to keep going further south if the weather doesn't suit, so Spain or Italy.

Or, to completely contradict myself, how about Corsica.

I’d start by heading for the Italian Lakes, nowhere specific because of changing weather but you’d be giving yourself the option of either going high if the weather stays good or low if it’s a bit grim for a day or two. You can easily go to the Adriatic coast or down into Tuscany where it’ll be significantly warmer.

It’s a 2 day ride each way and even if the weather turns really bad the Brenner Pass usually stays open but it’s not exactly the most exciting mountain pass you’ll ever ride over.

If I were to head to Annecy and work my way south to Nice or Menton.....what would make a nice route that would be weather proof and if it was a nice day what could my options be for a mountain blast on the way down... what you think?

The default route Annecy(ish) southwards to the Mediterranean is, the Route Napoleon. How weatherproof (whatever that means) it is between the dates of your travel is an open question, the answer to which you’ll find out only when and if you ride it.

It certainly gives you the option of staying in the French Alps * if the weather is good, or heading south - or somewhere else - if it’s not. My parents lived for 25 years in central Provence, November is not always a kind month. So do not necessarily expect that Nice or Menton will find you in your swimming costume on the beach. One thing is certain, November is not August.

* Which is why I suggested the area in my first reply.

Why not try Portugal, ferry to Satander and then a short hop south.
I did have a look into this , I could catch the ferry to Santander but returning in November looks like they dont sail that late in the year (please correct me if im wrong)

Been to the south of France a couple of times for the last week of October, first time was great weather(Carcassonne/eastern Pyrenees), second time was shite(Provence).

I would aim for somewhere where there is an option to keep going further south if the weather doesn't suit, so Spain or Italy.

Or, to completely contradict myself, how about Corsica.

I will take a look at Corsica....what sort of altitudes and climate?....similair to Alps or a bit milder?

I’d start by heading for the Italian Lakes, nowhere specific because of changing weather but you’d be giving yourself the option of either going high if the weather stays good or low if it’s a bit grim for a day or two. You can easily go to the Adriatic coast or down into Tuscany where it’ll be significantly warmer.

Good call, will investigate this options.

The default route Annecy(ish) southwards to the Mediterranean is, the Route Napoleon. How weatherproof (whatever that means) it is between the dates of your travel is an open question, the answer to which you’ll find out only when and if you ride it.

It certainly gives you the option of staying in the French Alps * if the weather is good, or heading south - or somewhere else - if it’s not. My parents lived for 25 years in central Provence, November is not always a kind month. So do not necessarily expect that Nice or Menton will find you in your swimming costume on the beach. One thing is certain, November is not August.

Wapping.....France is one of my favourite areas so I would be very keen to go there, Im thinking possibly Annecy then Route Napolean for a bit and kick about Castellane area and act on the forecast. November certainly is not August...;)

thanks everyone, some decent pointers there for me...:beerjug:

I will take a look at Corsica....what sort of altitudes and climate?....similair to Alps or a bit milder?

Why not start to look at things for yourself in Google?

Whilst you are at it, try Majorca, Malta, Sicily and Crete, too.

I’ll give you your due, you are getting great value out of UKGSer, all for free.

Brittany ferries do run all year round, with reduced frequency over the winter months but at a lower cost especially if you book early and avoid school holidays!
At the moment their website only goes up to November so it could suit.
Do be aware that the crossing over the Bay can get very lumpy it all depends on how good a sailor you are!

Why not start to look at things for yourself in Google?

Whilst you are at it, try Majorca, Malta, Sicily and Crete, too.

I’ll give you your due, you are getting great value out of UKGSer, all for free.

Believe me Wapping, I am an avid Googler regarding route planing, this includes gleaning other riders experiences via forums....often some great info is to be had.

I hadnt realised that there was a chance to contribute some ££££ to the website....I will do so this evening when I have access to my own PC....:thumb2...

I had previously used a forum called Alpine Roads for trip planning, unfortunately thius has ceased to exist (as far as i know).....so i am not fully up to speed with UKGSER.

Chris...:D

I would imagine the Alps could be iffy, but Wappings suggestion of having a loose plan is good - if the Weather in the Alps is good you will have them to yourself, but it is also true Hotels may be harder to find as the Alpine Hotels tend to shut for a bit between summer and Ski season - but you could just book online before you leave the Hotel you are in for the next one to keep the flexibility and not risk sleeping rough.

East of the Alps are some other great roads, you have Gorge du Verdon and Cevennes, maybe the Vercors as well could be better at that time.

Or look closer to Home with the Efiel, Ardennes and Luxembourg.

You are also assuming you are not going to be snowed in yourself as you live in the Frozen Wastelands of the North - and if you do get out, anywhere South of Manchester should feel tropical.

As an alternative to Annecy, head to Munich - if the Alpine weather is nice, head west to Lake Constance over the Bavarian Alps. If the weather is shit, hook up with the Austrian motorway and go south into Slovenia and Croatia - Dubrovnik has an average daytime temperature of 22C in October and 18C in November.

Back
Top Bottom