Steering damper

Robbiem

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a 2010 TC GS
I have noticed that when you get up to three figures — there starts to be a little shaking of the head on the ode gal.
Anyone else experienced this?
Has anyone fitted a steering damper — that helps with this ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On my third GS; present one is a 2011 TC with 68k up and never had any problems with steering wobble/weave at high speeds
even when fully loaded with camping stuff or indeed with a passenger on board, the bikes are rock solid.
If there is nothing mechanically wrong with the bike, a damper IMO, is unnecessary.
A weave can be caused by a number of things including the airflow around a screen and or the rider, a tight/worn ball joint,
bad/under inflated front tyre, bad out of balance condition of front wheel/tyre etc. You need to suss the situation out some more to gain
an insight as to the cause, fitting a damper would be the wrong thing to do.

+1 for what Tony said, on my second GS and never had wobble with either of them.
Tyres would be where I'd look first.

Thanks for the replies guys—
I have been playing around with tobinators and air flow — but did consider this as a contributor - so have gone back to stock screen,
And problem persists.
Now it seems everything should be rock solid at speed I will have a further look elsewhere.
Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I find my GS needs a steering damper, I will fit one on the handlebars next to the ashtray.

Mine does it with Heidenau K60 tyres at "how fast" speeds. Top box (on or off) makes no difference. It's never dome it with other tyres and to be fair its not problem but tyres could be a factor.

Also check the steering bearing in the forks top yoke. If that's getting notchy it will aggravate any slight weave.

Mine does it with Heidenau K60 tyres at "how fast" speeds. Top box (on or off) makes no difference. It's never dome it with other tyres and to be fair its not problem but tyres could be a factor.

Also check the steering bearing in the forks top yoke. If that's getting notchy it will aggravate any slight weave.

Hi
I have continental tk70 s fitted.
They were nearly new a year ago and I’ve done about 7k since
Back is about ready for replacing but front looks like it has plenty left but on a closer inspection looks stepped. (Uneven)
Top yoke and wheel bearings feel good.
Doesn’t matter whether luggage on or off.
A little vibration in mirrors and clocks at lower speeds but any thing over three figures and it starts to shake its head — gets a bit scary when I occasionally find that perfect road and see what the max speed is on a tc that has had some Hinckley magic done to it
I’ve only had it 7 months but do know that bmw changed the front shock about 2 years ago because it was leaking - again that all seems good now.
I’m leaning towards tyres at the moment —
But good to know that everyone so far has confirmed that there should be no need to fit a steering damper!
After seeing a few lc’s fitted with them I instantly though that maybe this was a shortfall on a TC.
Thanks again for all the useful advice

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pretty much all TK70 fronts wear like that; that's why i wont fit them again.
Iv'e used Mitas E07's for ages now and never had any handling problems at all, great all round tyre.

Interesting you should mention this.

I've noticed the bike being "loose" at very high speed. Not a weave as such, but almost wanting to.

I've got a Givi Airflow screen, which might have been to cause. As I trashed it in a drop on gravel last Sunday I've got to refit the original screen. So that'll be a interesting test.

I've also moved to Road5Trails from Road4Trails, but that is unlikely to be the cause, but I'll find out next week when I finally finish fixing the cosmetic damage...

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

Pretty much all TK70 fronts wear like that; that's why i wont fit them again.
Iv'e used Mitas E07's for ages now and never had any handling problems at all, great all round tyre.

The TKC-70 front was on my bike just before I replaced the front shock. There was pretty much .... all damping though no leaks.
The tyre wore with alternate peaks & troughs - two going up two going down. I can’t prove it (having swapped the shock) but suspect the -70 is very sensitive to suspension damping quality. But while it vibrated there was no speed wobble.
The K60 does gently weave but I have to get it to three figures & frankly I’m happy to have the reminder to ease off.

Both types are built for slower speed use (rated to 118 max) so can’t be expected to deliver the tarmac stability of a road tyre.

The Trail Attack 2 that replaced the TKC-70 was rock solid at all speeds and lasted two rears with no unpleasant behaviour. But it did feel heavier steering than the TKC.

The TKC-70 front was on my bike just before I replaced the front shock. There was pretty much .... all damping though no leaks.
The tyre wore with alternate peaks & troughs - two going up two going down. I can’t prove it (having swapped the shock) but suspect the -70 is very sensitive to suspension damping quality. But while it vibrated there was no speed wobble.
The K60 does gently weave but I have to get it to three figures & frankly I’m happy to have the reminder to ease off.

Both types are built for slower speed use (rated to 118 max) so can’t be expected to deliver the tarmac stability of a road tyre.

The Trail Attack 2 that replaced the TKC-70 was rock solid at all speeds and lasted two rears with no unpleasant behaviour. But it did feel heavier steering than the TKC.

We have been through this before iirc.

We have been through this before iirc.

Thanks for all the info folks—
It looks like two new tyres asap.
Im off with the Mrs for a couple of weeks — no bikes
As soon as I get back I’ll get some new tyres and report back —
I have two weeks to decide on which ones now

Thanks for all the info folks—
It looks like two new tyres asap.
Im off with the Mrs for a couple of weeks — no bikes
As soon as I get back I’ll get some new tyres and report back —
I have two weeks to decide on which ones now

Quick update —
Had two new Metzler tourances fitted at wheelhouse — Coleshill.
After a couple of hundred miles wound the ode gal to the stop and she’s as steady as a rock —- whoppee
Thanks for all the advice — hope it’s of use to someone else.

Quick update —
Had two new Metzler tourances fitted at wheelhouse — Coleshill.
After a couple of hundred miles wound the ode gal to the stop and she’s as steady as a rock —- whoppee
Thanks for all the advice — hope it’s of use to someone else.

A good outcome. Thank's for the feedback :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom