Hill Start Control

Makes me nervous just thinking about it

Then stop thinking about it and taking any notice of a bod telling you how scary it is.

If you can pass a motorbike test, you can go up and down hairpins, one up, two up, with or without luggage, on a modern motorcycle..... and quite a few old ones, as you’ll see when you get to the top.

A friend of mine has, to all intents and purposes, one arm.... his left. He takes his teenage granddaughter touring in the Alps as a pillion. He’s an OAP. If he can ‘Do the Stelvio’ and all the other passes, with her, their luggage and no use at all in his right arm.... you can do it, too.

I have ridden one of his bikes, which he converts himself (one handed DIY, made harder as he is / was naturally right handed) to have the throttle on the left. The clutch stays as it is. He dumps the front brake lever but leaves it in place for when he converts the bike back to re-sell. The front and back brakes he links to work just off the foot brake, usually dumping a disc on a twin front bike, as it’s difficult (for him at least) not to ‘over-brake’ using the foot pedal. They are not easy to ride, made harder that it’s tricky to countersteer with only one arm.... you end up opening or closing the throttle, until you sort of get the nack of it.

PS He wasn’t born with the impediment. He lost the use of his right arm in a crash, when a bloke coming the other way on Kawasaki lost it on a bend, slid across the road, striking my friend’s bike amidship and snapping it in half. I would guess he was then in his mid-to-late 50’s, so a steep learning curve.... no hairpins are steeper or sharper than that!

It’s a good thing especially when fully loaded two-up on a inclined bend as Smogbob says - however I find it a tad disconcerting just how many revs you need to pull away smoothly without stalling, practice I guess.

Me too. I did stall the bike the first couple of times I tried to pull away with Hill Start engaged. I didnt think I would find it useful at first but actually it is useful sometimes to be able to have both feet on the ground and have both hands free when stationary on an incline and it gives my ageing muscles a bit of a break too! I have got into the habit though of disengaging Hill Start just before I want to pull away and holding the bike on the rear brake as per normal to ensure a smooth getaway

I use it a lot as a handbrake if I'm stationary on a slope for any length of time. To release i just squeeze the brake lever hard.

Then stop thinking about it and taking any notice of a bod telling you how scary it is.

If you can pass a motorbike test, you can go up and down hairpins, one up, two up, with or without luggage, on a modern motorcycle..... and quite a few old ones, as you’ll see when you get to the top.

A friend of mine has, to all intents and purposes, one arm.... his left. He takes his teenage granddaughter touring in the Alps as a pillion. He’s an OAP. If he can ‘Do the Stelvio’ and all the other passes, with her, their luggage and no use at all in his right arm.... you can do it, too.

I have ridden one of his bikes, which he converts himself (one handed DIY, made harder as he is / was naturally right handed) to have the throttle on the left. The clutch stays as it is. He dumps the front brake lever but leaves it in place for when he converts the bike back to re-sell. The front and back brakes he links to work just off the foot brake, usually dumping a disc on a twin front bike, as it’s difficult (for him at least) not to ‘over-brake’ using the foot pedal. They are not easy to ride, made harder that it’s tricky to countersteer with only one arm.... you end up opening or closing the throttle, until you sort of get the nack of it.

PS He wasn’t born with the impediment. He lost the use of his right arm in a crash, when a bloke coming the other way on Kawasaki lost it on a bend, slid across the road, striking my friend’s bike amidship and snapping it in half. I would guess he was then in his mid-to-late 50’s, so a steep learning curve.... no hairpins are steeper or sharper than that!

I was more thinking about getting the HH to disengage in that situation lol

Interesting feedback - I must admit to not yet liking it as mentioned by others you have to give the bike what seems to be a way over the top amount of revs and dump the clutch to get the thing to release. I have also stalled using it, I am retaining my right foot on foot brake skill for now. For me it needs far too many revs and clutch to get the bugger to release - but maybe just needs more practice in me getting used to using it

Don’t do that fully loaded, two-up, on an up hill right hand hairpin in the Alps - it’s scary!

That is exactly why I found it a wonderful add on to the bike, it made them up hill slopes and bends in the Alps and Dolomites feel like they did not exist, just sitting there with the weight of everything fully loaded and 2 up and not light at all, on the brakes, and you could shake your arms around and get a bit of blood through the veins again, while waiting for the yellow buses to pass, or the cars in some really tight tunnel,s

I find it a tad disconcerting just how many revs you need to pull away smoothly without stalling.

The easiest way is to pull the lever again, just as you want to set off. It'll disengage the HSC for you. Much easier than all that noisy revving nonsense.

The thing I find most disconcerting is when you engage it and then turn the engine off - roadworks traffic lights for example. As soon as engine is off, the HSC disengages!

The easiest way is to pull the lever again, just as you want to set off. It'll disengage the HSC for you. Much easier than all that noisy revving nonsense.

The thing I find most disconcerting is when you engage it and then turn the engine off - roadworks traffic lights for example. As soon as engine is off, the HSC disengages!

I will have to try that, more experimentation required. :)

I will have to try that, more experimentation required. :)

Thats exactly the key to this use it more often, you will see it really is cool, I also stalled on first go in practice on totally flat ground, then got a bit more used to it, now I am in love again.

Not sure what happened with your RT but it's not possible a GS911 activated it. I thought Hill Hold came standard on the RT, it does here anyway

I dont know, before no H on the dash after I had a H.
Is it possible to switch it on or off in the menus? I didnt look yet.

Not sure about the RT to be honest. Might be possible you had an error that was stopping it from working but I doubt that too. I have implemented Hill Hold on my GS so know it's not possible with a GS911.

Maybe you just did not give the front brake a hard enough pull in, as to get the H on the dashboard, it needs a good sharp pull, bit like emergency braking, if that makes sense.

Maybe you just did not give the front brake a hard enough pull in, as to get the H on the dashboard, it needs a good sharp pull, bit like emergency braking, if that makes sense.

That handle has been well pulled.

Is it now standard on the 1200gs exclusive.

I am running mine in and held the brake ping up it came ��

I was going to pay for it.

Is it now standard on the 1200gs exclusive.

I am running mine in and held the brake ping up it came ��

I was going to pay for it.

Yep Exclusive has all the packets, I have the 2017 exclusive and it comes with all 3 packets, so you have everything.

Back
Top Bottom