Hill Start Control

Deleted account 191119001

Reaction score
First time really used in anger in Switzerland this week-end, and was I glad I had it, fully loaded 2 up, and stopping on slopes waiting for cars and buses to go by, but on one pass the Kunkelspass that was gravel and hard stone, and really dusty, I noticed that the HSC was not holding the bike the same solid way as on the road, bike was slipping back slightly so I reverted to old style holding the brake, could it have been discs had got hot, or gravel and dust, I really do not know, later it worked as normal, sandwich time maybe.

Perhaps you didn't pull the lever all the way up.

Oh yes I did I had my lovely letter H on the dash, but still slipped back slowly, I put it down to the heat it was over 36 celsius and we had been riding all day, before hitting the Kunkelspass, so probably just the disc was boiling hot.

If you can repeat the "error" at BMW with loaded bags...then maybe they will check it out.
Else it is "user error".

Good feedback though.

Just contemplating having it coded into my bike £195. Worth it ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just contemplating having it coded into my bike £195. Worth it ?

Have to disagree with Fred on this I personally think it is awesome, when you are loaded up hanging on a slope for about 5 minutes, and quite often in the Swiss passes, and if you have dodgy knees it is a wonderful feeling to just be able to sit and rest, as for user error, impossible to repeat the error, it was a mad day, in mad heat, and I simply reckon it was just a mixture of that, or maybe the loose gravel and weight on the bike was making it slip back a little, that is highly possible, but for 195 quid its well worth it.

I've used it on mine several times now and find it can be really useful.

I use Cotswold Bmw in Cheltenham and the Bike Going in for the 12k service and having the forks checked under the recall as well so parting with a fair bit of cash when there !..

Have to disagree with Fred on this I personally think it is awesome, when you are loaded up hanging on a slope for about 5 minutes, and quite often in the Swiss passes, and if you have dodgy knees it is a wonderful feeling to just be able to sit and rest, as for user error, impossible to repeat the error, it was a mad day, in mad heat, and I simply reckon it was just a mixture of that, or maybe the loose gravel and weight on the bike was making it slip back a little, that is highly possible, but for 195 quid its well worth it.

Agree completely. Great addition for two-up touring.

It’s a good thing especially when fully loaded two-up on a inclined bend as Smogbob says - however I find it a tad disconcerting just how many revs you need to pull away smoothly without stalling, practice I guess.

Worth it if you do a lot of hill starts fully loaded ( stating the obvious I know ) If you ride mostly in gentle rolling country side, you would very rarely use it. I ride in the mountains mostly, and find it a good help when needed, i.e. coming round a steep tight hairpin, to find a herd of goats blocking the road.

It’s a good thing especially when fully loaded two-up on a inclined bend as Smogbob says - however I find it a tad disconcerting just how many revs you need to pull away smoothly without stalling, practice I guess.

Yep bit strange at first but once you have done it a few times on a few slopes, it gets easier, and yep you have to give it a good razzle as to not stall.

To be honest, I haven't used it all that much so maybe I would appreciate it more in a situation where it would be a greater benefit.

BMW will be marketing this as ‘Launch Control’ on the next model.

Feels like you have to red line the revs to break free.

I have to tab out at the exit gate at work, on quite a step down slope. It works great for that, saves reaching with my left hand to hold the front brake on, so I can can lean my body across, to get the right hand jacket pocket onto the card reader!

As for the amount of revs needed to release it, just pull away as normal. You get a very slight delay, not really that noticeable. But if you sort of wait for hill hold to release before fully releasing the clutch it dose take more revs/clutch slip.

Back
Top Bottom