Denso starter

SIM

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Tested the started on my r100 and it knackered. I am going to have a go at rebuilding it.

In the mean time thought I may buy a Denso starter, Motorworks are knocking them out at £270 which seems a bit steep has anyone got one and have the part no. So I can try some motor factors to see if I can get cheaper elsewhere.

Also are they worth the extra over Valeo or Bosch.

Cheers

I doubt they are available elsewhere as I think they are a hybrid between a toyota motor and BMW business end.

I recently fitted one to my G/S, but in retrospect, I think I should have saved 50% and bought a Valeo.

IIRC the Nippondenso starter isn't available off the shelf from a motor factors ready to fit a BMW boxer engine, the mating casting has to be changed to suit (as it was originally made for a Toyota truck part) - Motorworks website used to say as much I believe. It may be different now I guess.

Is it worth it? Well the answer is....maybe. Depends on your luck/circs I suppose - I tossed this around about 5 years ago and in the end fitted a valeo to my G/S despite dire internet warnings about how shit they are, and to date its been totally fine - saved about £150.

Thanks for replies, it does sort of imply they adapt a little, but thought some of you top bods with superior knowledge may have an angle on it cheers

I think Valeos got better when they started using clips to hold the field magnets onto the inside of the case as well as the glue that failed so often.

I have high comp pistons in my r100 and have been through 2 Valero copy’s ,denso next for me

I have high comp pistons in my r100 and have been through 2 Valero copy’s ,denso next for me
Polish built valeo have a plastic reduction gear,the earlier French built one is metal.
A high comp motor we built last year has stripped two valeo motors and just eaten a denso,hmmmm back to a bosch

and just eaten a denso

Im amazed at that, thought they were supposedly indestructible and non failure prone!

My G/S is high comp (well Seibenrock 1000cc high comp anyways) and the Valeo as mentioned in my previous post has been fine. So far.

When/if it fails I had a notion that I was going to replace it with a denso next time round as it seemed a no brainer, ie fit and forget it forever, but now........

What a lottery!

Have a EME Valeo on my Hi comp 1000 cc G/S and it has performed perfectly for eight years / 2000,000 km.
Fitted the proper relay, heavy duty leads , Boyer Micropower system and a Motobatt at the same time.
Havent touched anything since.
Timing was set by test runs , bike pulling hard up a decent sort of hill, and with twin plugs I cant even see the marks so probably 25/26 BTDC.
Bike is a good starter so everything gets an easy life, dont think Valeos take kindly to either low battery volts or being cranked too long, and of course they both usually happen at the same time!

Starter

I had the magnets fail in the Hebrides and paid to have a new Valeo shipped in.
Back home I discovered the black end can is common to loads of small car starters,
Citroen, Peugeot etc. and can easily be substituted. Repaired for less than a tenner!
What is galling is that I could have found one in Stornaway and not had my holiday
disrupted.
It would be easy to carry a spare end can when away from home

I had the magnets fail in the Hebrides and paid to have a new Valeo shipped in.
Back home I discovered the black end can is common to loads of small car starters,
Citroen, Peugeot etc. and can easily be substituted. Repaired for less than a tenner!
What is galling is that I could have found one in Stornaway and not had my holiday
disrupted.
It would be easy to carry a spare end can when away from home

Buy a later "end can" and the magnets are pressed out against the casing by clips

Attachments

• IMAG1946.jpg
    IMAG1946.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 286
Thanks all, ordered a Denso will keep you all updated

Cheers

I have a spare Valeo starter that I'd like to overhaul as insurance......if i do it, the one in the bike will never fail.....:rolleyes:

Does anyone have a part number or a source (link) for the improved 'end can'.....don't want to buy the wrong thing.

Mick.

I also have a Valeo with a failed case. I could only find parts in Australia, or China where they are really cheap, but you have to buy loads at a time.

Okay anyone going to sign up if I were to approach the company for a batch ??

Its cheaper to buy 5 or 10 at a time I could investigate if folks wanted to sign up ??

in and around £20 posted UK I'd need to check the outgoing postage rate

Ireland may be a little more expensive

Basically you would have a rebuilt Valeo with the only Non OE part being the Casing with clipped magnets?

Apparently I can also Get the plastic Brush pack ends and Bushes, Lever kits, brushes and solenoids etc

Hi all, I said I would update. I bought the Denso starter at greater cost, but have to say the bike has never started so easy on the button first time every time. (That’s knacked it) so although £100 pounds more than a Valeo I cannot fault the Denso unit at the moment.
Cheers

Back
Top Bottom