Wind buffeting

I do wonder sometimes, if some get confused with the true buffeting that shakes your bobbin so hard you have the biggest migraine on the planet, or simply ops wanting to ride with the visor open or flipped up, I find the bog standard BMW screen fine as it goes up and down, to take some wind off the chest, and the wind keeps the rain off the visor, and if I keep the visor open a tad, for sure the wind gets under the helmet and bobs it around, nothing will stop that unless you have a barn door on the bike, but the downside to bigger screens is the sidewinds etc, so never a win win situation.

When I refer to buffeting, I mean migraine inducing & vision blurring.
That’s how it was for me with the standard screen (before I put on a Wunderlich Ergo spoiler, which worked for me). I would have sold the bike if I didn’t find the solution.
I have only recently started experimenting with new spoilers, screens and additions since trying a Puig ERS electronic screen adjuster.

So you’d think that if one wears ear plugs this problem is mitigated. Maybe not. Seems to me, any wind noise on the outside of the helmet transmits to the ear as vibration and that includes via the ear plug. I guess this overall head vibration is just as damaging to the inner ear as direct sound? I could be wrong?

Long distance travel, with ear plugs, at continuous speeds in excess of even 60kph seems to bugger my ears - I know that.

MRA set to between 3/4 to just below full height and with the deflector set to max deflection (not parallel as the "miserable flyer" suggests...that didn't work for me anyway). Used a similar deflector as the one on the MRA varioscreen on my Tiger 1200 and it worked a treat for that too. Trouble with any screen recommendation is that it's not something anyone can really generalise on as it's so dependant on rider height, reach, and what deflectors you already have in place. The GS as standard is pretty poor....in some ways it'd be better with just a bikini-style fly screen than a wibbly-wobbly screen that adds to the misery.

I've yet to try the Varioscreen with the MRA screen set to the lowest height. This works for some (keeping the top part fully extended to max deflection angle).

When I refer to buffeting, I mean migraine inducing & vision blurring.
That’s how it was for me with the standard screen (before I put on a Wunderlich Ergo spoiler, which worked for me). I would have sold the bike if I didn’t find the solution.
I have only recently started experimenting with new spoilers, screens and additions since trying a Puig ERS electronic screen adjuster.

Well that is that bad one then, I only ever got that with Harley standard screens, used to knock me silly, changed to a screen that could slightly tilt forward and all was well, that is the same effect as the spoilers diverting the wind elsewhere........;)

+1 For winglets fitted them to my S10 made a big difference, but sadly can now hear the satnav telling me to stop speeding.

So you’d think that if one wears ear plugs this problem is mitigated. Maybe not. Seems to me, any wind noise on the outside of the helmet transmits to the ear as vibration and that includes via the ear plug. I guess this overall head vibration is just as damaging to the inner ear as direct sound? I could be wrong?

Long distance travel, with ear plugs, at continuous speeds in excess of even 60kph seems to bugger my ears - I know that.

I used to get this. Try different plugs (shorter) or cut some so they are shorter. If the plugs are sticking out so they touch the liner of your helmet they can transmit noise. Also if you shove them too far in they can transmit noise to the bone around the middle ear.
Eventually, I got Mickey to make me some moulded ones that are much better than disposable plugs.

I used to get this. Try different plugs (shorter) or cut some so they are shorter. If the plugs are sticking out so they touch the liner of your helmet they can transmit noise. Also if you shove them too far in they can transmit noise to the bone around the middle ear.
Eventually, I got Mickey to make me some moulded ones that are much better than disposable plugs.

Great feedback Ta. Tells me I need to invest some time and effort to get it sorted - or just contact Mickey :D

There seems to be three different approaches to this problem:

1. Use a very small screen to allow unrestricted "clean" air flow, but your passenger might get turbulence. You will also get the full force of Bugs when sunny and fog / rain when not.
2. Use a Barn Door like a Puig / Givi or such like. I prefer these as the screen gets the bugs and Fog etc leaving your visor clean, but you have little air flow and can overheat on very hot days. Also there is the sail effect of these huge bits of plastic. Your passenger might get some strange negative air pressure issues with this type of screen (can pull your passenger into your back for instance). You will NEED a screen brace for this type. Givi do one for £25 that is good enough.
3. Use a MRA or such like, that disturbs / slows the air before it hits you giving the benefit of pretty good protection for a smaller device. Have a look at The Missenden Flyer's video on this, to see the difference.

It is trial and error to see which you prefer, or ask to ride a bike with different screens fitted if there are owners in your area.

Good advice. I went straight for (1) the smaller screen and have never looked back. It's the way to go! The BMW 'rallye' screen works perfectly on either GS/GSA. It costs about a million pounds, but there are also some good after market copies......

Wind noise can also be conducted to the inner ear visa the bones in the skull. Therefore as well as earplugs, it is important to get the best set up helmet & screen wise.

Great feedback Ta. Tells me I need to invest some time and effort to get it sorted - or just contact Mickey :D

I never used to ride with any form of ear protection other than the lid, no issues with noise or vibration.

The GS ended all that, The constant noise from all those parts working in aural disharmony was overwhelming.

I have 2 sets of moulded plugs that had made when i went to a game fair to do some shooting,

On the plus side the background (damaging) noise is eliminated, on the minus side i have to turn the sena to 11 to hear anything at reasonable levels ;)

He's very gentle if it's your first time.

I’ll look forward to that.:D On a serious note, I’ve always worn ear plugs during 30 years of biking and never noticed any hearing damage. But after just one sustained 7 hour leg, over 75kph with very strong head and side winds, I know because the wind turbines were rotating at a lick, has given my lugs a right old buzz. BOLLOX!

I’ll look forward to that.:D On a serious note, I’ve always worn ear plugs during 30 years of biking and never noticed any hearing damage. But after just one sustained 7 hour leg, over 75kph with very strong head and side winds, I know because the wind turbines were rotating at a lick, has given my lugs a right old buzz. BOLLOX!

And I believe hearing damage is irreversible. I have always worn ear plugs, which I have tried many various types, but always found them uncomfortable during long touring days and ended up riding for long periods without them.

Bit the bullet last year and had some custom ones made by a company called Plugz. Have to say, I wish I had done it years ago. So much more comfortable, and with filters fitted, they do not isolate to much.

I’ve fitted a Puig clip on spolier to my Wunderlich Marathon screen (with extra support which is 100% necessary).
Screen in the lowest position and spoiler parallel to the Marathon. I can see over everything and gives me wonderful, quiet ride. Zero turbulence at any speed and can ride with my modular helmet in the flipped up position without any wind catching the tip (also at 100kph+)
I am also using the Puig handguard spoilers and Wunderlich headlight spoiler.
Also about to receive/install the Aeroflow HFX & aeroguards to take some wind off my chest & shoulders.

Any more spoilers and I believe I will take off :eek:

Any chance of a photograph please?
I have now trialled the PUIG ERS with the new GIVI 5124 DT. Unfortunately on days with significant side winds. Results are curious regarding noise, as the noise is the same at high and low settings and (subjectively) is dominated by road noise coming up through the head stock. The turbulence varies. I'm next going to fit side deflectors as per GSA (I have a GS not a GSA now). The GIVI screen has a much larger central duct so there is a significant under screen flow.
I have not cracked the issue fully and the ERS needed some fettlingas the mounting barckest supplied to me were geometrically incorrect, an issue which PUIG has failed to accept.
I'm not keen on screen mounted spoilers but maybe a next step +2...................

Any chance of a photograph please?
I have now trialled the PUIG ERS with the new GIVI 5124 DT. Unfortunately on days with significant side winds. Results are curious regarding noise, as the noise is the same at high and low settings and (subjectively) is dominated by road noise coming up through the head stock. The turbulence varies. I'm next going to fit side deflectors as per GSA (I have a GS not a GSA now). The GIVI screen has a much larger central duct so there is a significant under screen flow.
I have not cracked the issue fully and the ERS needed some fettlingas the mounting barckest supplied to me were geometrically incorrect, an issue which PUIG has failed to accept.
I'm not keen on screen mounted spoilers but maybe a next step +2...................

Hi Nikos.
I have been in touch with PUIG and the next generation ERS should go a long way towards rectifying the issues (our) one creates.
Mine has been removed, as you can see.

Pics attached. If you look closely, you will be able to see that i am playing around with the angle of the handguards to help better deflect wind.
Curious results as i flipped the left side and removed the right hand side. This works for me (don´t ask me why :confused:)

Jury is still out on the pane extension that sits above the headlight. At best it help a tiny bit and at worst it does bugger all. I really can´t tell, so i removed it for now and will test it out again later.

2019020514534659-IMG_7280-XL.jpg

2019020514534659-IMG_7579-XL.jpg

2019020514534659-IMG_7580-XL.jpg

2019020514534659-IMG_7581-XL.jpg

Thanks for posting the photos eisen77. Those are large side deflectors, Wunderlich? I'm wondering whether you are creating too much of a bubble/low pressure high up, and air is flowing from lower down?
What's the second generation ERS going to look like?

Thanks for posting the photos eisen77. Those are large side deflectors, Wunderlich? I'm wondering whether you are creating too much of a bubble/low pressure high up, and air is flowing from lower down?
What's the second generation ERS going to look like?

The deflectors are Aeroflow from the USA.
I like the protection they give and I feel no detrimental effects in pressure (high or low).
I’m very happy with the setup right now and the Puig spoiler does a fantastic job of putting any dirty air completely over my helmet. I have absolutely zero buffeting and was only suffering from some wind noise eminating from the mirror stem area and hitting me in the shoulder and helmet side. The handlebar deflector strategically (& oddly) placed reduces much of this now. For some reason I had more wind hitting me on the left than on the right.
My setup is now a bit strange, but it works great for me and couldn’t care less how it looks aesthetically.

Back
Top Bottom