New lowered Rally TE

Shamone

Reaction score
I’ve had a standard height 2014 LC from new, with the low seat set in the low position.
Been getting backache and following tips on here I tried lifting the front seat height setting which fixed it, but I was on top toes.
Ordered a low chassis Rally TE and it’s the same height as my 2014. It’s definitely the low version as the side stand is different.
I’m hoping it’s just that the springs need bedding in, but wondering if anyone else has noticed this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve had a standard height 2014 LC from new, with the low seat set in the low position.
Been getting backache and following tips on here I tried lifting the front seat height setting which fixed it, but I was on top toes.
Ordered a low chassis Rally TE and it’s the same height as my 2014. It’s definitely the low version as the side stand is different.
I’m hoping it’s just that the springs need bedding in, but wondering if anyone else has noticed this?

Make sure the pre-load on the ESA is set to min and not auto. Page 77 in manual. Drops the bike by quite a bit.

Thanks, will double check that setting.

You shouldn't really need to ride it in MIN as you then lose all the advantages of automatic ride height adjustment as you change the load on the bike. In AUTO the suspension automatically returns the bike to its optimum ride height by adjusting the preload to exactly counter the effect of the additional weight when you add luggage and/or pillion, thereby maintaining a consistent ride height and therefore also a consistent nose up/nose down attitude meaning that your headlight doesn't point at the sky and dazzle other drivers. I believe that AUTO mode also allows the bike to work out how much additional damping is required for the added load to set a more accurate load related baseline for the continual ongoing damping adjustment.

One thing to be aware of is that just sitting on a bike in the showroom will not necessarily give you an accurate preview of the actual ride height as AUTO mode only does its thing after you start riding. For example, if I last used my bike two-up, the next time I get on it I will be stretching to reach the ground because the preload is set for the heavier weight from the last ride. However once I ride off it adjusts, and next time I stop it is lower and no stretching is required. Similarly if I last rode it solo and next time my wife gets on the back, then I have to remember to retract the side stand before she gets on otherwise the bike sags excessively and traps the stand, but once we have been riding for a while it adjusts and removes the excessive sag.

The manual is admittedly a bit vague on this, but personally I think the MIN and MAX settings are just there for exceptional circumstances, not for routine use.

(Though not essential for my height I bought the lowered version too, for increased comfort and security and a slightly lower C of G.)

Ok I’ve checked and it’s currently on standard, and the same height as my standard height bike.

Do not have a rallye, but can you set the seat to heigh at the front and lower at the rear riders seat, like the GS, it makes a hell of a difference.

Do not have a rallye, but can you set the seat to heigh at the front and lower at the rear riders seat, like the GS, it makes a hell of a difference.

That’s actually why I bought the lowered bike - To be able to set the seat like this. The Rally TE looks just the same as my 2014 GS with the same seats.

That’s actually why I bought the lowered bike - To be able to set the seat like this. The Rally TE looks just the same as my 2014 GS with the same seats.

So what does the front high and low rear setting do, and if you are not tall maybe it is a handlebar problem.

So what does the front high and low rear setting do.

Top toes...identical height to my standard 2014. I had expected it to be lower.

I’ve now set the suspension to low, but to be honest I didn’t feel it adjust. Perhaps I need to take it for a spin.

Rallye is already higher than a standard GS

From BMW’s site.
4fb4622c918ab5c3915b5bc074a617a6.png

OK so as OP above says try setting it to MIN in ESA settings and see how it feels, however fully loaded for sure needs to be back to auto, you will be amazed how far it drops, 2 up fully loaded if you are a tad over 100kgs and SWMBO is about 65kgs with kit also.

I wonder if the Motorrad website is wrong as it has it at the same 800/820mm height.
60160b92c04b177d733d8424c3bb6ed9.png

The first one with a separate passenger seat so 800/820mm

I think that is the same as mine which is the GS TE. I don't think the Rallye is any different to the TS in terms of seat height possibilities unless you have the optional jacked up Sports Suspension in which case you cannot have the lowered chassis as well because this is achieved with shorter than standard suspension units. Incidentally, the lowered chassis option always includes the low seat option, though dealers are generally happy to supply a standard seat instead if that is what you want.

If I recall correctly the suspension on the Rallye version is the GSA suspension, therefore taller than a standard GS, by buying the lowered version it brings it down to standard GS height.

If I recall correctly the suspension on the Rallye version is the GSA suspension, therefore taller than a standard GS, by buying the lowered version it brings it down to standard GS height.

Im sure its the Rallye sport that shares the same suspension height as the GSA the non sport is standard GS

Back
Top Bottom