Real world difference between GORE-TEX “PERFORMANCE” and “PRO”?

Polygon

Reaction score
I believe that one is two-layer and one is three-layer, but what are the actual differences in use on motorbike gear?

Which is more breathable? More comfortable? Lighter? Which would you prefer? Please don’t guess and only answer if you’re sure.

Trying to decide between Klim Kodiak and Latitude. The Kodiak is Pro, Latitude is performance. I’d appreciate general thoughts on these two items as well.

Thanks guys

One costs more than the other.

Both work.

My old skool army, single layer Gortex gear keeps me bone dry and warm. It's light weight and very comfy.

My posh Klim jacket is 'Pro' and keeps me bone dry and warm. It's light weight and very comfy.

Only difference I can tell is the 'Pro' is fairly stiff. This improves with use and washes but never completely goes away.

The point I'm making is that from one extreme of cost to the other they both work perfectly at keeping me dry and warm. No difference. The common denominator is Gortex so my advice is try them both, have a look at them and get the one the feels comfiest/looks the best.

Andres

I believe that one is two-layer and one is three-layer, but what are the actual differences in use on motorbike gear?

Which is more breathable? More comfortable? Lighter? Which would you prefer? Please don’t guess and only answer if you’re sure.

Trying to decide between Klim Kodiak and Latitude. The Kodiak is Pro, Latitude is performance. I’d appreciate general thoughts on these two items as well.

Thanks guys

The Gore-Tex membrane in Performance Shell is a drop liner which is unattached to the greater area of the face fabric. In Pro Shell it's laminated to the face fabric which is also, usually, more robust. The face fabric in Pro Shell is therefore much less likely to wet-out, i.e. become waterlogged and therefore stop the garment breathing. It's also more abrasion resistant. HTH

Goretex is a stupid idea for motorcycle clothes.

ummm, Yeah it is on the bike I suppose, but off it tramping around town goretex stuff is way more comfortable than anything non-breathable and much better than nearly all the breathable alternatives. Also coz Gore Industries (or whatever they are called) strongly protect their brand they don't let any old crappy designs from any old cheapo-corner cutting-poor cutters-and-stitchers manufacturer get on the market. Its one of the few products that is reassuringly expensive. Plus the Goretex guarantee is great.

I would go with Outomunch's suggestion - buy which one you like best not the one you think has the best spec.

I would go with Outomunch's suggestion - buy which one you like best not the one you think has the best spec.

For sure, but I run hot and if one is cooler or more breathable it’d be a selling point and I can’t really know that by wearing them around the house

The Gore-Tex membrane in Performance Shell is a drop liner which is unattached to the greater area of the face fabric. In Pro Shell it's laminated to the face fabric which is also, usually, more robust. The face fabric in Pro Shell is therefore much less likely to wet-out, i.e. become waterlogged and therefore stop the garment breathing. It's also more abrasion resistant. HTH

They’re both laminate construction. The “z-liner” is the drop liner

The deciding factor between kodiak and Latitude is not going to be style of Goretex (I know, as I went through the same before buying my kit last year).

You need to look at them both, try them on, and decide which is more to your taste and most comfortable.

Size and location of Vents, armour and general fit (especially the fit of the neck) will be the thing to base your decision on.

I went Kodiak, but I'm sure I would have been just as happy with Latitude...

I used to say Goretex was a waste of money and the cheaper versions from other manufacturers were just as good ..... that was when I didn't have any Goretex!

I have a 2015 latitude jacket, it's laminated goretex and no drop liners in sight. Only issue I have with it is the neck fit which could be better. The vents work well. Like you I run hot so most of the time I don't need it fully zipped up. It's quite a stiff fabric that took a year to start loosening up.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Why is this in the 1200 LC section... and not in clothing...

One costs more than the other.

Both work.

My old skool army, single layer Gortex gear keeps me bone dry and warm. It's light weight and very comfy.

My posh Klim jacket is 'Pro' and keeps me bone dry and warm. It's light weight and very comfy.

Only difference I can tell is the 'Pro' is fairly stiff. This improves with use and washes but never completely goes away.

The point I'm making is that from one extreme of cost to the other they both work perfectly at keeping me dry and warm. No difference. The common denominator is Gortex so my advice is try them both, have a look at them and get the one the feels comfiest/looks the best.

Andres

Blood eck I must agree all about cost and marketing.

No it isn't you spent the 80's riding around in the rain in leathers with a silver Rukka plastic space suit over the top of them or even worse in a waxed cotton jacket , Goretex is wonderful

Gortex PRO has 3 layer, and the membrane is bonded between the outer fabric and the liner on the inside.

2 layer bonded Gortex also keeps the membrane bonded to the outer layer, but the membrane is protected from the inside by a lose liner.

See this link: https://www.gore-tex.com/outerwear/gore-tex-products

The laminated Gortex allows for only the outer layer to get wet. The advantage compared to gortex with a waterproof liner is that the jacket is dry again only a few minutes after the rain stops, wheras the garment with a liner takes a good while to dry up. This also means that you feel less cold when garment is wet, and the jacket does not get much hevier when wet.

The advantage of seperate waterproof liner is that when you remove the liner, the breathing is much better. Even if Gortex is amongst the best when it comes to breathing, it still get moist in hot weather (above 25C).

There are lots of opinions of what to choose.
It boils Down to this: You get what you pay for.

Living in Norway we get exposed to all kinds of crap. The Gortex will not protect me from the crap from my Government, but as for a rainy day it works.

My personal opinion, and what I buy:

I only look for two brands: Rukka and Klim, and Gortex PRO only.
Rukka is the one I use spring and fall. Zip it up and it's as waterproof as a frogs ass. But its warm, and the with limited vents, so when the spring kiks in I use the Klim suit (Badlands).
The Garment of the Klim is waterproof a well, EXCEPT the solution around the neck. That is a crap solution. However. I have solved the leaky neck issue by using a Scott Neoprene collar.
In very light rain the Stock Klim collar will do, but in heavy rain I put on the Neoprene collar and tighten up the Klim collar, and at the end of the day, my T-shirt is dry enough that I don't have to change when going to the bar. (except it smells, so I change anyway).

Klim does not come with an extra warm inner liner, as Rukka does. But thats ok. Further, the venting of the Klim is supperior to the Rukka.
Both are quality products, and priced accordingly.

No it isn't you spent the 80's riding around in the rain in leathers with a silver Rukka plastic space suit over the top of them or even worse in a waxed cotton jacket , Goretex is wonderful

Yep evolution is a wonderful thing, rode in 36 C with BMW streetguard gear bought off this parish, and all was good, obviously, when stopped needed to take jacket off, but not overheated or dehydrated.

There was a good little article about "the breathability myth" in Adventure rider magazine a few months back as part of their test of jackets costing under £700.
If any one gets a digital copy of the mag, maybe they could paste the article, april 2018 page 133
stu

There was a good little article about "the breathability myth" in Adventure rider magazine a few months back as part of their test of jackets costing under £700. If any one gets a digital copy of the mag, maybe they could paste the article, april 2018 page 133 stu
I read that. It reinforced my long-standing prejudices against Goretex for motorcycle clothing.

Back
Top Bottom