Front / rear disks - wear rate

Kaybe

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Now then bike 14 plate GS just been serviced has 18500 miles and I am told the front disks are at 4.0mm (min 4.0mm) and rear 4.3 (min 4.5mm).
Somewhat surprised at that.
Anyone advise if this is a normal rate of wear and tear?

Plus when I go looking for replacements any recommendations?
thanks

Now then bike 14 plate GS just been serviced has 18500 miles and I am told the front disks are at 4.0mm (min 4.0mm) and rear 4.3 (min 4.5mm).
Somewhat surprised at that.
Anyone advise if this is a normal rate of wear and tear?

Plus when I go looking for replacements any recommendations?
thanks

2 up riding fully loaded, doing lots of mountains, a bit more info would help.

A friend recently replaced his2014 gsa rear disc, similar miles , rides mainly 2 up,
Fitted a lucas disc from brooks barn on e bay, easy fit seems to perfom well,
Like tyres brakes can have different wear rates depending on the rider,

In terms of my riding always solo.
As to tyre use, now on 3rd Front and 5th Rear.
I think I am answering my own question when I look at tyre usage for that mileage.

Cheers to fredaroomy for the disc link. I've just had my rear replaced with a Galfer wavey thing. £160 pounds cheaper than I was quoted for a BMW/Brembo o/e one!!!
At the service of my 13 plate lc when my rear disc was replaced, I was told my original front discs we're nearing their BMW serviceable wear limit. The bike has done 28000 miles. Quote from BMW for the fronts; £540 fitted. I did laugh, then walked out.
Have now ordered from Italy for 2 o/e BMW ones (front) for 220 euros, including shipping. Result.

Cheers to fredaroomy for the disc link. I've just had my rear replaced with a Galfer wavey thing. £160 pounds cheaper than I was quoted for a BMW/Brembo o/e one!!!
At the service of my 13 plate lc when my rear disc was replaced, I was told my original front discs we're nearing their BMW serviceable wear limit. The bike has done 28000 miles. Quote from BMW for the fronts; £540 fitted. I did laugh, then walked out.
Have now ordered from Italy for 2 o/e BMW ones (front) for 220 euros, including shipping. Result.

I've been ordering from that shop for years. Very cheap (we don't pay VAT) and fast delivery

Any link to the Italian supplier ?...….. I like no VAT. Nothing is available in Gib, as we only have 30,000 population, but its VAT free. Do any thing with the local BMW dealer in Spain and its plus VAT, and a real problem to claim it back. I now do all my own servicing, and buy 90% of my stuff from Nippys , who take the VAT off without having to ask, and a first class service to boot...:beerjug: to Nippy Norman's.

Any link to the Italian supplier ?...….. I like no VAT. Nothing is available in Gib, as we only have 30,000 population, but its VAT free. Do any thing with the local BMW dealer in Spain and its plus VAT, and a real problem to claim it back. I now do all my own servicing, and buy 90% of my stuff from Nippys , who take the VAT off without having to ask, and a first class service to boot...:beerjug: to Nippy Norman's.

Second post...

My bike has done 22,000 miles and still on the same front pads, rear pads changed at 18,000 service.

Years ago the dealer service guy told me you can tell a lot by the state and efficiency of m/c brakes. Folk from London their breaks are really good but suffer from high rates of wear, us Country folk and our advanced riding skills have bikes with rubbish brakes as we hardly use them.

Having read numerous scare stories on here about pads not lasting to the 6,000 mile service I rushed out and bought a full set. Here we are some 17,000 mikes later and I have given up checking then regularly and still have a set of rear Brembos waiting to be used.

When new, both BMW car and bike disks are approaching their wear limit.
They "dangle the skeleton" at you shortly after you make your intital purchase,
and continue to do so at every opportunity.
Some of us take their advice with a pinch of salt.

When new, both BMW car and bike disks are approaching their wear limit.
They "dangle the skeleton" at you shortly after you make your intital purchase,
and continue to do so at every opportunity.
Some of us take their advice with a pinch of salt.

Bang on the money, usually pointed out during one of BMW's "free safety" checks, the idea seems to be to scare the customer, ive even heard of them getting customers to sign a disclaimer before leaving their premises.,. They then turn up at my workshop with discs that are perfectly serviceable for many years to come.

Bang on the money, usually pointed out during one of BMW's "free safety" checks, the idea seems to be to scare the customer, ive even heard of them getting customers to sign a disclaimer before leaving their premises.,. They then turn up at my workshop with discs that are perfectly serviceable for many years to come.

Totally agree, My Rallye at its first service at 7,000 miles I was told the rear pads were worn to excess, popped out & bought a set as was having new tyres before a trip, when I removed the pads they had only worn 1mm against the new ones, I popped them back in safe in the knowledge they’ll do at least another 10k

Back
Top Bottom