How do you plan your tours? Or, do you?

We do a basic plan then divert to suit the weather always worked for us, maybe book first night then find accommodation as we go.

Which doesn’t really work if you leave home with the intention of going to let’s say, Slovenia. Unless you have weeks away, you’ve got to keep heading towards the country, as zooming off towards the Pyrenees (as it looks like the sun is shining there) ain’t going to work. The same applies on the way back.

As I said it’s always worked for us and is more of an adventure to us each to there own I suppose, the main thing is getting out and doing the trips whilst you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which doesn’t really work if you leave home with the intention of going to let’s say, Slovenia. Unless you have weeks away, you’ve got to keep heading towards the country, as zooming off towards the Pyrenees (as it looks like the sun is shining there) ain’t going to work. The same applies on the way back.

I would tend to agree......

My own preference is to have a pre-planned place to aim for, kinda gives a sense of purpose to my riding, and I do like to have things booked in advance.

I wouldnt be comfortable not knowing where I was sleeping come 4pm, or if the hotel had a garage or if it was within budget....yadda yadda yadda

The downside is that Im at the mercy of the weather......

If Im camping I will have more flexibility built in but will still have a pretty solid route planned

Chris...

We don't tour as such. We pick an area to stay for a week - either an apartment or preferably a mobile home on a decent site with bar/restaurant and pool. When we get there we buy the local map and explore all the wiggly roads and villages etc. So that bit is ad hoc.
But I plan the journeys there and back so that we arrive at an interesting town or city by mid afternoon. That gives us some time to check in and get changed, wander around and pick somewhere to eat in the evening. So that bit is planned.
The thing is, planning the trip is a brilliant winter activity.

My first big Euro trip coming up in a couple of weeks time. With six bikes and eight peeps the only option was to pre-book accommodation in advance. Didn't fancy riding around looking for a mix of double/twin/single rooms every evening after a long day on the bike. Means we're at the mercy of the weather of course, but there's waterproof gear for that.

Spent countless hours poring over streetview, garnering info from websites and forums far and wide (including this one). Some will say that spoils the element of suprise, but I've loved searching for things to do, places to see and roads to ride. I'm not hoping to plan the 'perfect trip' - wherever we go, I think we'll have a great time both on and off the bike. Plus, it's when things do go a wee bit pear-shaped (and the laughs because of it) that sticks in your mind many moons later.

I've done it both ways; planned and unplanned.

In the Scottish highlands and islands, booking, including ferries is essential. Accommodation is full almost everywhere, especially NW500 and ferries are turning away people just turning up.

In France, we looked at where we wanted to stop and used Booking.com to sort the following night's hotel. We'd ask in the hotel for recommendations of where to head for the following day. If the weather was bad in one area, we'd head away from that.

Both systems work.

I have a destination, then go, no planning as such just see where it takes me.

I have a destination, then go, no planning as such just see where it takes me.

See, I like the sound of that....it sounds like how it should be done!!!

However, I have a trip lined up to France at the end of Oct/Nov.........the trip has in the middle a scheduled 4 day stay in Castellane to ride of a few routes, I have already pre-booked this on Booking.com, I was able to choose from the comfort of my PC a nice B+B in the centre of the village, with a lockable garage at a price that I liked, I know where the pubs and the petrol station and the supermarket. Im at the mercy of the weather but I also have a plan for a wet day, now.....there is a chance if I were to leave that until the trip commenced then I may or may not get accommodation in Castellane within walking distance to a pub etc etc

horses for courses and all that...

Chris.....:D

How do you cope with "gotta-find-a-hotel-frenzy" :eek: come 5p.m. and you've not got a bed booked / dont know where you're sleeping tonight?
Mrs Og is chilled about this / i however end up with visions of sleeping on a beach or in a park if i've not got a bed booked in advance. :blast :blush:

Stop somewhere around 4pm . Look on Booking.com and chose a hotel/guest house. Always plenty available within an hours ride.

I like the pre-planned option which is particularly good with the wife as pillion so I can answer the inevitable question "is it much further?" but if I'm with friends or on my own camping then I prefer to head in a general direction and see what happens.

With Booking.com you can select filters with room type, breakfast if wanted, secure parking etc.

Never had a problem

We travelled back from Melilla to Almeria one night landing around 10.30pm and still found 3 rooms, part of the experience

Apart from the first night in France or Spain then yes unless we have an overnight crossing.

We normally ride as a group of four guys so two twin rooms.

So do you book your place to sleep on the day?

Bods do all sorts of things; do it your way.

There’s a thread just starting in the accommodation section, with a bod looking for a cheap (£50’) bed and breakfast basis room in Aosta, Italy in August for just one night. That he also wants safe parking is also on his shopping list. Most of the hotels are a ton or more, for the one night. Imagine how fecked he’d feel if he just rolled into Aosta, all hot and bothered at 18:30 to discover that his wallet was about to be raped. But, by doing something in advance, he’s got what he wants for £65, leaving him £35 for beers or whatever. Sometimes, you really do have to make your own luck.

Booking.com has opened up a whole new world of flexibility. As long as you have signal, it is the work of moments to find somewhere with vacancies.

When we toured with no bookings in advance, I found it quite stressful as the afternoon wore on. Maybe it was unnecessary stress, but it was stress nonetheless. Flicking through a Logis catalogue hoping that someone at the other end of the phone could speak English (or understand my schoolboy French)... So much easier now.

Booking.com ...
When we toured with no bookings in advance, I found it quite stressful as the afternoon wore on. Maybe it was unnecessary stress, but it was stress nonetheless. ...
Though it embarrasses me to say it - that's exactly how i feel. :blush
I've had some hare brained adventures in the past with little or no planning at all in them :pullface :D.
But for a Bike Tour with Mrs Og (who is by far much more laid back / confident about finding a bed than me :bow ) i like to know in advance where i'm sleeping.
So is the consensus that now with a phone and few good links - like 'booking.com' the panic is needless - you'll always find a bed*? :nenau

* that's also affordable and of reasonable quality. :rolleyes:

See, I like the sound of that....it sounds like how it should be done!!!

However, I have a trip lined up to France at the end of Oct/Nov.........the trip has in the middle a scheduled 4 day stay in Castellane to ride of a few routes, I have already pre-booked this on Booking.com, I was able to choose from the comfort of my PC a nice B+B in the centre of the village, with a lockable garage at a price that I liked, I know where the pubs and the petrol station and the supermarket. Im at the mercy of the weather but I also have a plan for a wet day, now.....there is a chance if I were to leave that until the trip commenced then I may or may not get accommodation in Castellane within walking distance to a pub etc etc

horses for courses and all that...

Chris.....:D

Myself, i wouldn't be seen dead in Castellane, let alone spend four days there, having arrived unannounced on my bike with my pregnant missus on the back and walked into a hotel of our choice back in 1988.
Ended up checking out and staying in a boat on the lake.. I'd have been pissed off having to stay in a hotel i'd booked before i got there and seen what eklse was on offer.

So it's just as you say "horses for courses"...

:D

Booking.com ... Filters, Breakie, Parking and Cheap. Some Hostel accommodation has turned out to be very good indeedy

Myself, i wouldn't be seen dead in Castellane, let alone spend four days there, having arrived unannounced on my bike with my pregnant missus on the back and walked into a hotel of our choice back in 1988.
Ended up checking out and staying in a boat on the lake.. I'd have been pissed off having to stay in a hotel i'd booked before i got there and seen what eklse was on offer.

So it's just as you say "horses for courses"...

:D

HaHa...I was in Castellane last year and liked it...:thumb.....not a lot going on but its a decent base with a bar and restaurant and supermarket...

Back
Top Bottom