Corrosion on the rear shock

Mide

Reaction score
I bought a demo rallye in March this year. I’ve done about 2000km since I bought it. I was cleaning it in May and noticed this corrosion, I sent an email to bmw dealer. I chased it up with a phone call on 25th June. I was told to send photos of the shock, the bike from both sides and the speedo, which I did that evening. I never heard back so popped in on Tuesday afternoon to find that my email went into junk so he never got the photos. I was told that they’d take photos and start a process with bmw but that I shouldn’t hold out any hope, that it probably wouldn’t be covered under warranty.
Sure enough, I got a phone call on Thursday to say bmw have said they won’t cover it, so he’s started a complaint with the technical team about it.
I await their decision.
Needless to say, I’m more than a little pissed off

8d314462dd122bc80a3bd40c7a8feb38.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m guessing the bike is about 8 months old?
My advice would be to pursue this. This a chrome finish and shouldn’t rust in years let alone months.

Your contract is with the dealer not BMW under consumer rights legislation. Whilst it may seem extreme I’d push the dealer, if they don’t want to play ball, I’d go straight to small claims court, or at least tell the dealer that is your intention.

Bloody eck where did they demo that in the North sea, I would be sitting outside the dealers, sandwiches are go, team will be out soon, inspecting all rear shocks.

If i was offered an ex demo bike in march i think i'd run a mile. It will have been used in all weathers in the winter when the salt was down, and the dealer isn't going to wash the bike everytime it comes back, so it really about what i would expect. My mate bought an ex demo GSA last september, but that was new and registered in june, which is a different proposition all together.

stu

So apart from rusty shocks, rusty frames , corroding engines , loose spokes, clunky gearboxes , fragile forks, chocolate cams and TFT issues , it’s a great bike ������

But all will be fixed in the new model......................:green gri

So apart from rusty shocks, rusty frames , corroding engines , loose spokes, clunky gearboxes , fragile forks, chocolate cams and TFT issues , it’s a great bike ������

What about the ESA issues, GSAP problems ,Chinese moped quality switchgear ,rapid wear brake pads and dics

What about the ESA issues, GSAP problems ,Chinese moped quality switchgear ,rapid wear brake pads and dics

Rapid wear dics? yikes

Don't know what you guys are doing to these poor bikes. 25,000klms and I still have 50% left in my brake pads and the rotors have hardly any wear.

If i was offered an ex demo bike in march i think i'd run a mile. It will have been used in all weathers in the winter when the salt was down, and the dealer isn't going to wash the bike everytime it comes back, so it really about what i would expect. My mate bought an ex demo GSA last september, but that was new and registered in june, which is a different proposition all together.

stu

I see your point, however my bike is an ex-demo bike, registered in Jan, I bought it in July and it’s mint condition. Some dealers do look after their demo bikes.

So apart from rusty shocks, rusty frames , corroding engines , loose spokes, clunky gearboxes , fragile forks, chocolate cams and TFT issues ,the ESA issues, GSAP problems ,Chinese moped quality switchgear ,rapid wear brake pads and dics, its a bloody good bike .

I can see why people always buy a well sorted model before the new one arrives with teething problems !!!

Half the problem is that demo bikes get very little public use over the winter and tend to get used by members of staff at the dealership and if they are the type who isn't bothered about cleaining the bike then corrosion will start .

Then when it comes to selling off the demo the dealer will either not mention the corrosion (that would make such a huge difference if they were taking it in as a part ex) or underplay its significance

Back
Top Bottom