Touratech Toolbox and Cymarc brackets

Deleted account 191119001

Reaction score
After much faffing around and weighing tools and disc locks abus 8008 1.2 kg alone, and puncture repair kits that all come in at nearly 4 kgs, I decided to go with this setup, it will arrive next week hopefully, I do not use my vario panniers much only for longer tours, so this will free up the topcase, 5kgs maximum weight, for sandwiches in case of a UKGSER callout...........:D

https://www.nippynormans.com/tourin...-tool-box-mounting-kit-r1200gs-lcadventure-lc

I bought one of these boxes, but never fitted it because you’re supposed to take off the hugger

I bought one of these boxes, but never fitted it because you’re supposed to take off the hugger

They say only if your are doing extreme off roading, and fully loaded up, and that is with box attached to pannier rails, I doubt I will get to full compression on my GS as do not do extreme off road, but will have a good look at clearance when it arrives, I would imagine Marc, as mad as he is has tested his brackets with the toolbox, that they do not touch the mudguard on compression, if it comes close, cannot be hard to space out a little more the toolbox, to get clearance, that is my thinking at the moment.

They say only if your are doing extreme off roading, and fully loaded up, and that is with box attached to pannier rails, I doubt I will get to full compression on my GS as do not do extreme off road, but will have a good look at clearance when it arrives, I would imagine Marc, as mad as he is has tested his brackets with the toolbox, that they do not touch the mudguard on compression, if it comes close, cannot be hard to space out a little more the toolbox, to get clearance, that is my thinking at the moment.

I’d love to hear the results. I always have the rack on my GSA though, so I won’t need the Cymarc bracket. Lady comes on the back a lot with boxes attached, but I don’t plan to do much off-roading.

I suppose it’ll come down to how much of a pain it is to remove if I ever do use the trails. But probably less of a pain than having a £200 accessory sat in the shed!

I’d love to hear the results. I always have the rack on my GSA though, so I won’t need the Cymarc bracket. Lady comes on the back a lot with boxes attached, but I don’t plan to do much off-roading.

I suppose it’ll come down to how much of a pain it is to remove if I ever do use the trails. But probably less of a pain than having a £200 accessory sat in the shed!

143 quid now price is lower, glad I did not pay 200 quid for the sandwich box, 143 quid is plenty.

Yup, it’s my brackets holding that box on and yup nothing this side of completely squishing the suspension up will make it collide with the swinging arm or rear brake HOWEVER this was only carried out on a standard bike so I really can’t comment on anything that might be non standard (like a lowered bike for instance). Also, and because the brackets hold the box from one direction only, if the box did collide with anything the brackets would bend and deflect outwards. Regarding the suggestion of using spacers to move the box out a bit I must say that’s a brilliant idea to try! I was a little concerned about creating a pendulum effect by having the weight too far out from the vertical supports so I never tried it myself but if anyone wants to experiment and I can help with Spacers just pm me. And remember - don’t overload the box, the TT is plastic after all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, it’s my brackets holding that box on and yup nothing this side of completely squishing the suspension up will make it collide with the swinging arm or rear brake HOWEVER this was only carried out on a standard bike so I really can’t comment on anything that might be non standard (like a lowered bike for instance). Also, and because the brackets hold the box from one direction only, if the box did collide with anything the brackets would bend and deflect outwards. Regarding the suggestion of using spacers to move the box out a bit I must say that’s a brilliant idea to try! I was a little concerned about creating a pendulum effect by having the weight too far out from the vertical supports so I never tried it myself but if anyone wants to experiment and I can help with Spacers just pm me. And remember - don’t overload the box, the TT is plastic after all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers for jumping Marc, I think it should be fine on mine, standard GS not lowered, and if needed moving out, I reckon we are only talking in MM,s so the odd washer should do the trick if it was to close to call, which I doubt, and I will not be jumping off mountains, hopefully.

Funnily enough I fitted one onto my GS rally this afternoon although I have gone down the Ali panniers route so have the rails installed. Touratech do recommend removing the 'shovel' but only for off road use. I don't do proper off road. I might frequent a gravel track but I'm not full tosser size so feel I will get away with it.

Attachments

• IMG_2266.jpg
    IMG_2266.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 551
Rallye is already a taller bike so more travel in the shocks, I doubt very much you would get even half way down the shock travel, and if not tosser size, tis a bonus.

Rallye is already a taller bike so more travel in the shocks, I doubt very much you would get even half way down the shock travel, and if not tosser size, tis a bonus.

I'm just a wee snip of a lad. I could camp in some of the jacket sizes sold on here :aidan

:jes yep I have seen some pretty ample sizes going around, no wonder the shocks are failing, given they are set for about 80kgs average weight.

I’m 109kg and often have the lady on the back. I do wonder what it’d be like to ride a GS that’s sprung for me

:jes yep I have seen some pretty ample sizes going around, no wonder the shocks are failing, given they are set for about 80kgs average weight.

Totally off topic but is that what they are sprung for? An 80kg rider?

I’m only 75kg - probably 85kg with riding kit - and it feels undersprung even for me!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Totally off topic but is that what they are sprung for? An 80kg rider?

I’m only 75kg - probably 85kg with riding kit - and it feels undersprung even for me!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I believe they are set for 170 lb or roughly 77 kg for 1 person, but I just leave it in Auto setting, and let it do its magic when 2 up or a bit more loaded, not had any problems yet, and im a tad over a 100kgs.

I've been running this set up on my gslc for a couple of years, I got a bit lucky a found a box with no fixing kit at touratoss for 75 quid and bought a fitting kit from Mr Houton from this parrish then blanked off the pre drilled holes with stainless bolts. Its amazing what you can fit in them, compressor, dyna plug puncture kit, torch, multi tool,rag, latex gloves, visor cleaner, a thousand curses, forty days and forty nights and a cuddly toy

I've been running this set up on my gslc for a couple of years, I got a bit lucky a found a box with no fixing kit at touratoss for 75 quid and bought a fitting kit from Mr Houton from this parrish then blanked off the pre drilled holes with stainless bolts. Its amazing what you can fit in them, compressor, dyna plug puncture kit, torch, multi tool,rag, latex gloves, visor cleaner, a thousand curses, forty days and forty nights and a cuddly toy

Ta for that info, I will get mine on Thursday, as away at the moment, then will fit it, I have Vario panniers, so this box will help to leave the panniers off, when doing short hauls, and no hardship to take the box off later, if panniers needed.

Back
Top Bottom