Charging helmets when camping.

I use a smaller (cheeper) power pack that I charge by USB when riding so each night it's ready to charge my comms.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I have a 12V socket wired direct to my (bike) battery that has traditional 12V car style output socket plus a 5v USB socket; I then charged 2x helmets from this USB port whilst I setup the tent. Didn't leave them overnight, just into the evening until the light on the intercoms went green. Bike started first time in the morning, no problems.

I have a 12V socket wired direct to my (bike) battery that has traditional 12V car style output socket plus a 5v USB socket; I then charged 2x helmets from this USB port whilst I setup the tent. Didn't leave them overnight, just into the evening until the light on the intercoms went green. Bike started first time in the morning, no problems.

This ^^^^^

Plus I charge a couple of small battery power packs during the day while I am riding from the same power source. These power up our phones overnight.

I Charge everything, (helmet, phone, GoPro, etc) from a large capacity power bank that I charge of the bike during the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a powerlet cable from the bike into a pannier. This then is used to charge my Anker PowerCore 20100 - Ultra High Capacity Power Bank. £32.99 from Amazon.

This baby charges phones, GoPro, comms, cameras, even my MacBook.

I lasted a week in Scotland with no 240v sockets this way, absolutely no problem.

Me and swmbo went through 2500 miles in France and Spain same method. There were a couple of hotels this time, wife insisted

I’ll be doing exactly the same again next month

Cheers

Clive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most cafes, bars and restaurants have electricity. Just charge your devices and even your power pack as you go along.

One of the most useful ‘must have’ things I bought years ago - and has never stopped being handy - is a very basic Continental three-way mains plug splitter. It takes up no room and weighs next to nothing. Pop into any half decent DIY or similar store next time you are abroad and pick one up.

The other great thing I also bought was several long, well made, USB leads. Why? Because the bloody wall sockets are often not where you need them, made more difficult when your USB lead is only 9” long.

One last ‘great buy’? Most charging blocks (the thing you put your camera battery into) use a standard figure of eight mains lead, terminated with a bloody great UK plug, which means you need an adaptor, too. I bought a Continental figure of eight lead, enabling me to leave the UK one - and its adaptor - at home.

PS Wiring a 12 volt feed to a motorbike is really easy; there are lots of threads and posts on how to do it.

One of the most useful ‘must have’ things I bought years ago - and has never stopped being handy - is a very basic Continental three-way mains plug splitter. It takes up no room and weighs next to nothing. Pop into any half decent DIY or similar store next time you are abroad and pick one up.

Something like this or similar:

https://www.amazon.fr/Fiche-multipr...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00KTDGZJ8

I have the two pin variety, just like this. Versions with the third ‘earth pin’ are readly available, too.

You’ll find them all in the isle of most French DIY’s store marked ‘fiche multiprise’.

Aukey 20000 mAH universal power bank, powerlet connection in the tank bag will charge the power bank

If you have the cash spend a bit more, this one is tried and tested, I have started my van several Harleys with big bore engines, it does its job perfectly, and comes with everything you need, when charging it from the bike, I have a little bag on the handrail, and a cigarette charger style socket, this keeps it charged up.

https://www.antigravitybatteries-uk.co.uk/microstart-jump-starter/micro-start-xp-1.html

Got my XP-1 yesterday. Primary reason for getting it was to charge my laptop. None of the included 8 tip adaptors fit my laptop. Grrr. On the hunt now for an appropriate adaptor.

I have a couple of battery packs from Costco.
They have a claimed capacity of 7500mAh, a claim that I think needs a healthy dose of salt consumed with it.

I think the claims are all a little exaggerated, the Lithium battery for my GS 'only' has 4Ah ie 4000mAh and is rather larger than these portable units.

A while back I was looking at getting something akin to the XP1 mentioned above having seen similar at the bike show. Anyway looking around the net produced claims of capacities up to 57Ah in something the size of a pack of fags - thats bigger than the battery in my lads car!

Anyway to the OP's dilemma, battery pack (of proven quality) charged on bike during day, charge the comms/phone at night

Back
Top Bottom