Dolomites or Pyrenees?

geezer2005

Reaction score
Got a couple of weeks in August I can get away solo, but cant decide where to go.

Haven't been to the Dolomites or the Pyrenees, so fancy one of them. Will be camping, and found some decent sites at both locations to use as a base.

So those who have been, which do you recommend?

Dolomites is more stunning but it will be busier. I have found camping sites cheaper and better in Spain. Spain has less traffic in general.
HTHY

I think the Dolomites are outstanding, plus you are in striking distance of the Grossglockner, Stelvio & Timmlejock.

Been twice in August,quite busy and a fair few coaches. Afternoons and early evenings much quieter on the roads :beerjug:

There's a reason for that - if you are out after 5pm then you may get a bit wet when the thunderstorms brew up.

Pyrenees for me :thumb Did a trip last month from the Atlantic (Bordeaux) to the Med (San Feliu). Used N260 for most of it in Spain, fantastic road. Came back along the French side to Bordeaux again via Andorra, equally as good.

Have done both a few times, Dolomites for me, Pyrenees is great, but the Dolomites is magical but as said, will be a lot busier.

We're just back from a couple of weeks riding down through France to the Pyrenees and then spent a few days in the Picos too.

Brilliant places.

Enjoy !

In the Dolomites there seems to be a relatively limited number of routes and (when I visited) all fairly busy. The scenery is spectacular, though, and getting to and from the DOlomites takes in some other renowned areas of the Alps.

There are clearly a limited number of passes across the Pyrenees but on the Spanish side there are more minor roads (some of them very minor) to get you away from the traffic. People rave about the N260, but there are many other roads every bit as good if you have time to explore.

Depending on how you intend to get there, you can take in some nice areas in france as well, and the Picos are not too far away form some more scenery.

Back
Top Bottom