R1150GS Starter Motor: Advice Needed ~

David Nimrod

Reality you can rely on...
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anyone know the relative quality of the Valeo (£150 at Motorworks, £168 at Motobins), vs. the 'High Quality Pattern' part that both Motorworks (£139) and Motobins (£118) sell..? Or the Motorworks 'Exchange' part (£115)... Lots of choice...:blast:blast

(Hoping I don't jinx it now!)
I've had a Motorworks exchange unit fitted for the last 10 years without an ounce of trouble
Edit: Done a shade under 30k miles with it.

FWIW I very recently got an exchange rebuild one from Motoworks- Identical to the Valeo one I sent off, but with better fixed magnets. I am delighted. I was worried about the cheapness of the £50 units, but depends if you fancy a flutter...;)

Ebay, about £36 quid brand new.

Fitted them for loads of customers and never had a problem.

Have you got a link to the "£36" ones?

Just checked and they've increased in price since i last bought one, they're now £50.99p delivered.
I let my customers buy their own so only just found out about the price increase.

Leave it into an auto spark for rebuild , I just got mine done . Parts were £12 and he charged me £30 , now as good as new .

Leave it into an auto spark for rebuild , I just got mine done . Parts were £12 and he charged me £30 , now as good as new .

Great, a new one is £50 :D.. if all you need is new starter brushes, which sounds like your starter motor has had, fine, but if the casing magnets have broken up, as is the case in most instances, it's fecked.

Well, the refurbed Valeo arrived from Motorworks this morning. Really fast delivery. I’ve fitted it, and it works a treat... Trouble is, I think the ‘short’ that caused all this trouble in the first place, has taken the battery out!

Got one of the cheaper ones from ebay for my rt no problems at all. think paid about £40

But shipping puts another £20 on top of that.

Sent from Steve's fancy iPad using Tapatalk

Nope, £50.99 with free delivery. HERE

Ohh, crafty bastards, not only have they increased the price by £5 they've added postage.

Here's last weeks advert HERE , i should've bought a pallet full :D

Well, the refurbed Valeo arrived from Motorworks this morning. Really fast delivery. I’ve fitted it, and it works a treat... Trouble is, I think the ‘short’ that caused all this trouble in the first place, has taken the battery out!

If it was "just" the battery you got off light. My starter shorted out at the beginning of June, taking the battery with it. I ordered a new battery from Motorworks, and using the excelllent thread on here, I rebuilt the starter and bench tested it to prove it worked. I then refitted it, only to find I had a bike which turned over faster than any time in my ownership, but wouldn't start. Subsequent checks and assistance from Steptoe and others in response to my pleas for help revealed that the short also FUBARed my Hall effect sensor, so no ignition or injector signals.

Luckily for me, it only took the starter motor out... even the original battery has charged up fine, although I will be fitting a new one.

Finally taken the plunge and spent more money.
7714f35b770ea69d494a7f832321cdf9.png

I will investigate the OEM starter when replaced as there are some great video clips and document files to give support.

The Sept 2002 1150GSA will last my final years of service since buying it new. And like my socks and underpants, certain parts only have a limited working life span before it is deemed cost effective to buy new.

Winter plans involve getting the seat and shocks refurbished as new aftermarket ones cost too much.

Having fitted my new starter, I decided to dismantle the old one for both fixing and for curiosity.

On removing the commutator with effort from the body, I found one magnet detached.
Would Araldite epoxy glue fix it?

That grease retaining plate has no arcing marks on it so won’t remove it.
What grease is recommended for the little gear cogs?

Would there be any need to open up the solenoid canister as the plunger moves freely?

The two carbon brushes still have plenty of wear left.

Other than that, there seems to be nothing wrong so I will just clean it up.

That pivot pin between solenoid plunger and drive gear easily falls out. Had to unscrew a couple of wooden decking boards to find it.

Back
Top Bottom