Anyone doing much ?

Agree, sort the rear shock (wilbers), £16 Chinese eBay bar riser and some motech adjustable low pegs and it's sorted, ok add the odd farkle for personal taste. Bike is great fun, even done a few track days and it holds its own.

The 2017 on R9T has the fully adjustable forks from the S1000R and it rides great.

I'm seriously looking to get one as a second bike...….however I'd buy a low mileage second hand one and perhaps that's why the new sales have slowed down.

FYI, there were loads at the Bike Shed Café Racer Cup at Lydden last Saturday and looked great on track.

I've also test ridden the Thruxton R which was very nice.....but think I prefer the R90.

Agree the seat is a plank, but that can easily be sorted, along with some adjustable pegs.

Had an urban GS as a loaner whilst they changed the chocolate cams in my GS

The engine was good and it sounded great but the riding position was leant forwards and only any good when giving it the berries

Suspension was harsh though It handled OK and the brakes were good

Pegs too high and seat not very comfortable, tried it two up but it was truly terrible

Even though I had it for a week I mainly left it in the garage as I much preferred to use my T120, a far better second bike in my opinion both 1 up and especially 2 up

Having owned both a Turban and T120 in the last year or so, I can safely say they were both crap.
The Turban was the most uncomfortable bike to ride I've ever had and the T120 still had utterly shite suspension. I wrongly assumed that Triumph had upped their game since I bought a Scrambler in 2009.....but nope.....still fucking awful.

Having owned both a Turban and T120 in the last year or so, I can safely say they were both crap.
The Turban was the most uncomfortable bike to ride I've ever had and the T120 still had utterly shite suspension. I wrongly assumed that Triumph had upped their game since I bought a Scrambler in 2009.....but nope.....still fucking awful.

Very true, the standard suspension on the Triumph is crap, but for 500 euros spent to change it you’ve got a great second bike which is comfortable for 2 people with a good engine and looks sweet

Shame you sold yours on, they grow on you

Very true, the standard suspension on the Triumph is crap, but for 500 euros spent to change it you’ve got a great second bike which is comfortable for 2 people with a good engine and looks sweet

Shame you sold yours on, they grow on you

Yup, I could have spent a bit to sort it.
But, as Triumph charge a five figure sum for the bike,I really couldn't be arsed to spend more to fix what they couldn't be bothered to do from the factory.

O'well - each to their own.

My Scrambler with Wilbers shock is definitely a keeper :D

For the benefit of those reading this thread, possibly contemplating buying a Rninet, in whatever form, I’m going to add my two penny worth. I’m on my second Rninet, a Scrambler, and between the two I’ve covered about 20000 of mainly touring miles. My previous bike was a GSA LC and I’ve had most models of GS since my original G/S which I’ve still got. I have an opinion contrary to the delightful ‘Arsey’. I don’t think they’re ‘crap’. The engine is superb. The handling is good and even the suspension, the bugbear of many owners, is ok as long as you ride without pushing too hard. Comfort is determined by each owners physiology. On my Scrambler X with the option high seat all I’ve done is fit bars risers as I’m tall. I’ve fitted luggage from SW Motech. What I love is the relative simplicity and lack of bulk compared to current touring ‘adventure’ bikes.
Each to their own opinion but don’t believe those who think it’s just a Sunday bike.
Two tours under my belt this year and next I’m already planning Sweden, Finland and the Baltic states.

For the benefit of those reading this thread, possibly contemplating buying a Rninet, in whatever form, I’m going to add my two penny worth. I’m on my second Rninet, a Scrambler, and between the two I’ve covered about 20000 of mainly touring miles. My previous bike was a GSA LC and I’ve had most models of GS since my original G/S which I’ve still got. I have an opinion contrary to the delightful ‘Arsey’. I don’t think they’re ‘crap’. The engine is superb. The handling is good and even the suspension, the bugbear of many owners, is ok as long as you ride without pushing too hard. Comfort is determined by each owners physiology. On my Scrambler X with the option high seat all I’ve done is fit bars risers as I’m tall. I’ve fitted luggage from SW Motech. What I love is the relative simplicity and lack of bulk compared to current touring ‘adventure’ bikes.
Each to their own opinion but don’t believe those who think it’s just a Sunday bike.
Two tours under my belt this year and next I’m already planning Sweden, Finland and the Baltic states.

The issue with the rear shock being overly sprung is only apparent if, like me, you weigh less than 85kg suited and booted. If you're heavier than that the spring can be adjusted to suit. I'll be buying and fitting a Nitron rear unit to mine in the winter.

I just got back from a 9 day /3500 mile trip on my 2016 R nine T and must say I love the bike so much that I probably will sell my 2017 GS-ADV :thumby: So much fun to ride,good looking and great sound with the Akrapovic single exhaust with db-killer removed.
Got Ohlin$$$,tubeless cast wheels,Wunderlich fairing and Hepco Becker Journey boxes on mine.It is a great sporty bike you can comfortably tour on.After a few thousand miles you really gel with the bike.
Probably get me another one.Either a Urban or another R Nine T to park it and ride it later when they quit making them after 2020/Euro-5....:(
The last real BMW's with the great aircooled boxer.I will miss them when they are gone.With TL,centerstand and factory/single key hardbags it would be even better !
Get one while you can...best boxers so far !

Has the R9 lost its popularity,?
Nobody buying them..?

Seems very quiet on here

Well there were 3 out today enjoying the back lanes of Leicestershire/Northants :thumb

Given how affordable nearly new ones are now - they are a great buy for anyone who fancies one ;)

I just got back from a 9 day /3500 mile trip on my 2016 R nine T and must say I love the bike so much that I probably will sell my 2017 GS-ADV :thumby: So much fun to ride,good looking and great sound with the Akrapovic single exhaust with db-killer removed.
Got Ohlin$$$,tubeless cast wheels,Wunderlich fairing and Hepco Becker Journey boxes on mine.It is a great sporty bike you can comfortably tour on.After a few thousand miles you really gel with the bike.
Probably get me another one.Either a Urban or another R Nine T to park it and ride it later when they quit making them after 2020/Euro-5....:(
The last real BMW's with the great aircooled boxer.I will miss them when they are gone.With TL,centerstand and factory/single key hardbags it would be even better !
Get one while you can...best boxers so far !

Are you a BMW employee ?

Don’t see how you can comfortably tour on one when it’s the most uncomfortable bike ever made.......

Are you a BMW employee ?

Don’t see how you can comfortably tour on one when it’s the most uncomfortable bike ever made.......

I think you mean the most uncomfortable bike ever made for you - others including myself do not find them uncomfortable :nenau

I’m 6’8” tall... with the SW Motech FR lowering kit I was comfortable enough for 50-60 miles, this is when my numb nuts problem would kick in.... I found the front suspension was fine... but the rear shock even with my 19 stone on it was way too stiff.

I loved the bike, and if I was a more normal size I’d have kept it and popped a Wilburs on the rear........ but ever time I caught sight of myself.... I was just too big for it.......

And the dozens of bikes now sitting in dealers with less than 1000 miles on them going for a song......

Great news for potential buyers :thumb - still does not prove it is the most uncomfortable bike ever made though does it :rolleyes:

Great news for potential buyers :thumb - still does not prove it is the most uncomfortable bike ever made though does it :rolleyes:

But I think the potential buyers have dried up.
My local BMW dealer have had a Racer, a Pure and a standard 9T in stock and unsold for a year now.
The dealer where I part-exd my Urban still has it despite dropping the price.

Back
Top Bottom