Thread: Anyone have influence at a training school in Berks / Surrey?

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Anyone have influence at a training school in Berks / Surrey?

A friend of mine is really keen to do her direct access training and test.

She's based on the Surrey / Hampshire / Berks border and needs to do the course at weekends rather than midweek.

All the local schools seem to be booked up until September - is anyone involved with a school in this area, and able to ask a favour?

Seems a shame for her to miss the summer.

Cheers,

Paul G

I did mine at http://www.phoenixtrainingonline.co.uk

They are quite big and usually have free slots for anyday

Many thanks, I've passed that recommendation on. The Ewell centre's not too far away.

Any more ideas?

Paul

Phoenix are a franchise operation. I'm sure all Phoenix operations are good, but some are possibly more effective than others.

How she progress's depends on a number of things

A) How proficient is she? riding for some time, or rookie to rider

She needs CBT & Theory tests passed before she can do Mod 1 or 2

B) How flexible is she, Can she drop things and go to a training session tommorow or other date at the drop of the hat

C) How deep is her wallet? you pay through the nose at weekends -- Instructors do like to have some time at home

D) This is the critical one.. What dates are available for tests ? DVLA will only let you book 2 test dates as a civvie, (mod 1 & 2)
    - Instructors can book 4 dates, (as they often have 2 pupils at any one time)

When i was looking to do my Mod 2 looking in July, the earliest dates local to me were October then nothing until Jan the following year!

Weekdays the test was about £80 if i recall - Weekends it went to £150

If she has a healthy bank balance and willing to travel BMW Rookiee to Rider may be an option.

I'd been riding for some time , so after the last CBT i did a days training - then Mod1 Then another days training then Mod2

also you friend has to bear in mind if she does an accelerated test - if she fails Mod1, she has to phone/ cancel 24hrs before the mod 2

otherwise she will loose the fee.

It eases up after the summer season, so more test slots appear - but still busy

Thanks Santa.

I'm from the 'bloke on the pavement with a clipboard' generation when it comes to tests - so that's useful info.

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

From memory - it was almost 2 years ago

CBT was within 2 weeks of looking - (March) Saturday £120

Theory 4 week lead time - (Jun /July) Weds (earliest date/ location) £23

Mod One training 1 day July Sunday £150

Mod One Test August Monday £15.50 + £150 (bike hire / instructor)

Mod 2 training 1 day October Sunday £150

Mod 2 Test October Monday £75 + £150 (bike hire / instructor)

The big gap was Aug-Oct due to the training centre having no instructors available - despite having a booked mod 2 test

It took almost a month of ringing round and booking a test blind, hoping the training centre could get an instructor (they did )

Mod 2 tests are £88.50 at weekends as well

Mod 1 training days are reccomended, as you should get an hour or so at a MOD 1 test centre to practice the test

I did training Sunday, and test Monday so everything was fresh from the day before

HTH