Brittany Ferries 2019

Many thanks. Looking at making a booking now. Cheers :thumb2

For my money there really is no comparison.

I know I no longer live in the UK but when I did I used to ferry my car down and back every summer. I have driven the distance also a few times and I found it a false economy. I was much younger and able to withstand the pace and the recovery was swifter.

The difference between arriving fully rested (saving almost 1500 mileage rtn) and ready to enjoy the week is worth every penny.

Until you've actually done it (ridden all the way) and seen how very knackering it is (not to mention tedious) and arrived ready to kick the bloody bike into the long grass because of it, you might not appreciate how very much more enjoyable it is to arrive ready to explore and enjoy what you came all that way down to enjoy. £430 for a bike and cabin: bargain in my humble opinion.

I agree the Ferry is like a mini cruise - and the other cost not taken into account is your tyres especially if more off rd biased ... !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found the Sunday afternoon ferry from Plymouth to Santander OK as it wasn’t too tedious after a very leisurely breakfast as it docked just after noon. The return from Bilbao to Portsmouth was extremely tedious as it didn’t dock until nearly 4pm.

Next year I’m heading to Spain on the Sunday afternoon ferry, but heading home from St Malo :thumb2

Me and the missus are on the Plymouth to Santander one tomorrow and coming back on the same ferry a week Wednesday, giving us enough time to go through Asturias and Galicia before heading down into Portugal and the Douro valley. The ferry leaves at 15:45, so a couple of beers then a decent meal in the restaurant, sleepy time, then brekkie and before you know it it's docked at 12:30pm Spanish time. Damn sight easier than trekking down through France

Not used the Santander crossing for about a decade, it was "expensive" back then, and more so now, but do agree compared to doing the extra miles to the Pyrenees from Calais the costs can be considered OK.

1,000+ extra tyre squaring miles of (relative) boredom is a factor to consider, ersonally I want to be riding the great roads ASAP and not spend long on motorways or dull straight 50mph limit rural French roads.

The cost of a Hotel on the way out / back, extra fuel and Tunnel crossing probably adds up to about £300, so if you can cross with a buddy sharing a cabin for £600 you are probably no worse off - although you might blow a fair wad of cash in the bar on a 20 hour crossing.

I’m on my 3rd crossing this Summer on Tuesday, 10 days on bikes with a group of friends in Spain then back on the ferry again, fantastic!

Now I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but it is the Bay of Biscay which can get rough.
Very very rough.

We travelled last March and spent the Bay of Biscay part strapped in our beds.
Food was out of the question.
Walking was out of the question.
Even standing up was out of the question.

But most of the time it should be like a mill pond.

Crossing the bay of Biscay was fine. £540 return with a cabin both ways, 2 sharing and one bike. Have Club Voyage membership so had free brekkie and 10% off dinner in the nice restaurant. I have to say the roads in Portugal are stunning and it's a fair bit cheaper to eat and drink but fuel is way dearer, about £1.60 a litre.

Back
Top Bottom