Brittany Ferries 2019

GADGET

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
BF are taking booking. for next year from tomorrow ( 24/7/18). PM me if you are going to book and would like to use my discount code, as I will be renewing my membership at the end of 2018 for another year. John.

'Our 2019 sailings will be on sale tomorrow

Bonjour,

We are pleased to confirm that you'll be able to book sailings for this winter as well as summer 2019 from tomorrow at 11:30am.'

Booked mine for the end of May. The non-refundable deposit was more expensive than for this years crossing, they must be expecting a few cancellations after Brexit.

Booked mine for the end of May. The non-refundable deposit was more expensive than for this years crossing, they must be expecting a few cancellations after Brexit.

From the BF website:
Please note that our terms and conditions have changed in the last twelve months and a deposit of 25% of the value of your booking will secure your space next year. This is more reflective of the market in which we operate; of other European transport providers and the experience offered to customers

Its not cheap, but the example above includes two cabins, needs to be compared with cost/time travelling across France, and the current French proliferation of speed cameras and 80kph limits.

The way I look it at is that costs approx 230 each way for a bike and a cabin.
To go euro tunnel is a minimum of two nights hotels plus fuel and they will be long tiring days. Then cost of eurotunnel.
Makes it good value

Have to agree, much easier to get the ferry down.

For my money there really is no comparison.

I know I no longer live in the UK but when I did I used to ferry my car down and back every summer. I have driven the distance also a few times and I found it a false economy. I was much younger and able to withstand the pace and the recovery was swifter.

The difference between arriving fully rested (saving almost 1500 mileage rtn) and ready to enjoy the week is worth every penny.

Until you've actually done it (ridden all the way) and seen how very knackering it is (not to mention tedious) and arrived ready to kick the bloody bike into the long grass because of it, you might not appreciate how very much more enjoyable it is to arrive ready to explore and enjoy what you came all that way down to enjoy. £430 for a bike and cabin: bargain in my humble opinion.

So expensive.

I agree.

The way I look it at is that costs approx 230 each way for a bike and a cabin.
To go euro tunnel is a minimum of two nights hotels plus fuel and they will be long tiring days. Then cost of eurotunnel.
Makes it good value

I agreee with the fuel cost but why two nights in hotels? Is that one each way? How far do you have to ride to get the ferry? I'm off on tour on Friday heading for the Austrian MotoGP and it'll take me a long day to get to the tunnel (I live 680 miles north of it). By the time I ride to Newcastle or Hull I'm as well going all the way to Kent. The other problem I have with a ferry is I have to take a cabin for two to myself which also increases the cost to me so I still find it prohibitive. Although, I am getting a bit tired of 700 mile days when most of it is in the English traffic congestion. Once in France it's a piece of piss to cover miles and get to the area of interest you want to ride.

From Calais is approx 700 miles to the Spanish border. Yes you could do it in one day but I personally would not enjoy it and I would be fooked at the end of a 700 mile day. I certainly would not have enjoyed it, far better to take the scenic route and take two days, or even better take the ferry to santander and enjoy a beer or four and arrive early morning or mid day relaxed....

At the end of the day it is meant to be a pleasure not a chore! but each to our own!

From Calais is approx 700 miles to the Spanish border. Yes you could do it in one day but I personally would not enjoy it and I would be fooked at the end of a 700 mile day. I certainly would not have enjoyed it, far better to take the scenic route and take two days, or even better take the ferry to santander and enjoy a beer or four and arrive early morning or mid day relaxed....

At the end of the day it is meant to be a pleasure not a chore! but each to our own!

My apologies, I didn't realise it was Spain you were going to through France. I don't use ferries so I wasn't familiar with the BF routes.
I am, however, interested in the Southampton to Santander ferry in 2019 or 2020 (if I can get a decent price). I will, unfortunately, still have 700 miles to get to Southampton.

Cheers John

Just booked for Sept 2019. Two Bikes, Two Cabins £853 return :beerjug:
Hi
I tried to look up a price on line for next year but it only gives 2018 in the drop down bar ! did you book your trip via the phone ?

Having just spent 24 hrs on the Santander to Portsmouth crossing yesterday, I cannot think of a more pleasant way to cut out the long drive back to N. France. Pan flat crossing, competitve food and drinks on board. Lastl the Pont Avon is just like a mini cruise ship, the cleanliness and attitude of the staff ( all French) was first class.

Many thanks to John for helping me get a discount too.

Steve

Having just spent 24 hrs on the Santander to Portsmouth crossing yesterday, I cannot think of a more pleasant way to cut out the long drive back to N. France. Pan flat crossing, competitve food and drinks on board. Lastl the Pont Avon is just like a mini cruise ship, the cleanliness and attitude of the staff ( all French) was first class.

Many thanks to John for helping me get a discount too.

Steve

Last time I was om board, we saw dolphins several times. if the weather is good it is worthwhile getting up early and watch the sun rise

Last time I was om board, we saw dolphins several times. if the weather is good it is worthwhile getting up early and watch the sun rise

Dead right on Monday night we had small dolphins when leaving Santander. Then when we got to the deep trench, 4000 m, we saw the ultimate.....for us, Whales, coming to the surface, blowing out plumes of spray. They even announced one of the sightings on the bridge, trouble was they said “ whale on the starboard side. So 50% of folk, us included looked left!!

I tried a PM but Gadget's inbox is full. It does sound like a smart way to get down there. I'll try again later. Cheers

Sorry about PM Zorro, will sort my messages out shortly. John.

Back
Top Bottom