R1200rt cruise control fault?

gebrauchtwagen83

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi chaps
Picked up my new to me RT today, it’s a 2010 with 12,000 miles. Basically the set works fine on the cruise control but the resume button doesn’t work. So it’s the same switch, push it away to set and pull towards to resume. Is it faulty or would the resume button not function because it’s a mechanical cruise control at that point and not electronic? I can physically feel the throttle move with the cruise so wondering if the resume function wouldn’t work.
Also noticed a distinct vagueness and wobble from the bike between 75 and 80. Only does it at that speed. It feels like the front is being swiped by wind but is not. It got 2 new tyres on so I was thinking balancing although any help would be appreciated. One fella mentioned the large top box causes it.
Cheers
Dan

Hello,

I also have a 2010 twincam RT. My cruise control resumes with the resume so there's definitely something wrong there. It works just as you would expect the ride by wire cruise controls to work however it's not quite as smooth due to the mechanical nature of it.

As to the top box, aye the big boot does affect the handling. It shouldn't be massively detrimental but the bike does feel a lot better with just the panniers on. Shame the mrs loves it so much as a backrest.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice. It seems that it should indeed work so maybe I was just hoping. It’s all under warranty so hopefully get it sorted tomorrow. (Or booked in tomorrow)

Regarding the instability at 75 to 80 mph should the wheels have some weight on of some description? I’ve never seen a bike with new tyres not have weights but this one doesn’t have any weights on

Regarding the instability at 75 to 80 mph should the wheels have some weight on of some description? I’ve never seen a bike with new tyres not have weights but this one doesn’t have any weights on

Not uncommon with BMWs with cast wheels and no TPS. 29 new RT's at work and only a few have weights. Have you felt for play at the back wheel? 6 and 12 o'clock. Big top box will almost certainly cause some instability at speed but how much is subjective, take it off and see. Failing that get an explorer:green gri

Not uncommon with BMWs with cast wheels and no TPS. 29 new RT's at work and only a few have weights. Have you felt for play at the back wheel? 6 and 12 o'clock. Big top box will almost certainly cause some instability at speed but how much is subjective, take it off and see. Failing that get an explorer:green gri

I’ll give it a go Steve. This one doesn’t have any weights but does have tps.

I’ll give it a go Steve. This one doesn’t have any weights but does have tps.
It isnt the wheels that need the balance weights its the tyres

Sometimes ( i have been ) you can get a set that are just balanced and need no extra weights

Panniers and top box can cause a bit of a weave at high speed on my old GSA it was above 100 mph though and the faster i went the worse it got at 120 it was positively unnerving

If you bought the bike from a dealer just return it for them to sort the cruise switch. The early model switch gear was far better than the first set of LC models .enjoy the bike

Yeah I’ve had that before. I just wouldn’t have expected to have it at 75mph on an RT to be honest. I’ve ridden RTs extensively before and they didn’t do this at 75 to 80 although they didn’t have the large top box. They did have panniers. It’s kind of a disconcerting movement from left to right and vice versa at that speed. Seems to be worse on some motorway surfaces than others but never really fills you with confidence. At 70 it’s absolutely planted and then at 80 it feels wallowy if such a word exists

If you bought the bike from a dealer just return it for them to sort the cruise switch. The early model switch gear was far better than the first set of LC models .enjoy the bike

Yeah they’re sorting for me to take it someone a bit closer which is good. I got it from dobles

Had a New Pr4 installed on Monday and that was balanced. Made a massive difference. I've only had my anni bike a month. Way better bike compared to the 1150.

Well that was a day and a half.
The load function of the esa doesn’t work. Add to that the cruise control.
The wheel balancing wasn’t even close and I had that done today.
The pivot bolt at the bottom of the forks is seized and the forks weren’t even tight at the bottom.
The bike has been left at a local motorcycle shop because they said it’s not safe to ride and I’ve been on the phone to doble all day tooing and froing. Disaster

Just to confirm, to change the load function on the esa between rider only, rider plus luggage and rider plus pillion you just press the esa button when the motorcycle is stationary and the ignition is at stage 1. As per the manual it should cycle through those options. On mine the functions work on the move, sport comfort and normal but the load doesn’t change when the motorcycle is static.

Correct, you adjust the spring preload when the bike is stationary :
One helmet, one helmet plus luggage, two helmets ...

You should be able to see and hear the spring adjuster moving.

Damping is adjusted on the move :
Comfort, Normal, Sport

Correct, you adjust the spring preload when the bike is stationary :
One helmet, one helmet plus luggage, two helmets ...

You should be able to see and hear the spring adjuster moving.

Damping is adjusted on the move :
Comfort, Normal, Sport

It doesn’t need to be on the center stand does it for the preload? Nothing happens when it’s stationary and on it side stand. It just remains on 1 helmet.

And apologies I can’t try it out because it’s stuck in the garage being fixed then it will have to go back to Honda to have everything else fixed

It doesn’t need to be on the center stand does it for the preload? Nothing happens when it’s stationary and on it side stand. It just remains on 1 helmet.

Just started mine on the withstand.
Engine running, select a different preload... 2 helmets.. .. wait for a few seconds... then the greyed out 2 helmets change to white.
So - you just need to be stationary with the engine running.

Keep checking the function of the cruise control, I had a few replacements before I finally got one that worked.

So the esa was fine. I was just being a numpty (not unusual for me). The cruise control switch is being replaced by Bmw. Had the wheels rebalanced and the feeling of the bike wandering at 80mph has remained. Any thoughts on this? It’s not luggage because it does it without luggage. Rear wheel bearing? Swing arm bearings? Or maybe it could be the new tyres (dunlop sportmax qualifier) disconcerting at 80mph.

It could be the tyres - mine used to wander a little with the panniers on above 70mph, since I fitted city lids to the panniers the bike is rock solid. If yours does it without the panniers on and the rear wheel is solid and none of the suspension parts are lose, it's probably tyres, at 12k I can't see it being anything else. I also run my Michelin PR4's with a little extra air in.

Have you tried one with a different make of tyres on? I'd find one in a dealer locally, and arrange a test ride.

Back
Top Bottom