A Scam or something to worry about.

JH

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just sat here sending an e-mail to someone of this parish when an e-mail pops across my screen. In essence it is from a named person from an '@outlook.com' address. The general script is not bad, nowhere near the 'give me your bank details and I will deposit all the wealth of Nigeria into your account' type of grammar, but does contain errors.

It highlights a password that I have used and may still be current, but only on low level non financial logins, but sites that I may have made an online purchase at. It tells me that I have visited an adult site and they have infected me with malware and have secured my keystrokes etc. The are now blackmailing me to pay them in bit coins, otherwise they will tell the world etc.

The thing is - I have Apple devices only in the home, and the e-mail address they have targeted is a dormant one which only has a forwarding system in place to my current address. I have been with a number of people who have held my Data and have subsequently they have advised they have been hacked etc. Can't think of which companies these were off hand but a couple over the last year or so.

My question is - I have binned this e-mail and if I knew how to block the sender I would. But do I need to do anything to check I have not been 'infected' I thought the malware stuff did not work on Apple?

Advice please from those who are in the know.

Ta very much.

One site that was hacked was Linkedin. Also Farcebook. Talk talk. There is a dark web address you can use and you enter all your email addresses and it will bring back details of hacked sites that have your address and also tell you what other stuff was harvested. Can't put my hand on the address at the mo but will have a look tomorrow. Someone else may chime in with it in the meantime. This will give you an indication of what sites to change your password on.

I have also had this email with an old password i used in the title plus the usual shite of what they will do. As said by others mine I think came from the linked in hacking a few years ago. Delete / dont even open any more emails and ensure you have changed passwords which may have been compromised and then move on!

How's life since you run away from being PM David? :D

:yelrotflm

I liked that ........

Still thanks for all the responses. I kinda of thought it might be the case but as ever in a fast changing world wanted to check.

How's life since you run away from being PM David? :D

And how are the memoirs coming along, Dave? I heard rumour of writer's block. I hope not- sure to be a page-turner.
Maybe you have your trotters up in your posh shepherd's hut, tweeting photos of your pedicure. What a geezer!

Back
Top Bottom