Garvagh.....what is it like?

MarkShelley

Very similar to Paolo Maldini
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Staying in Garvagh next year whilst working at Portrush. Any recommendations for restaurants or bars? Looks like a nice enough place on google Earth.

Sorry mate but you’d of been better of staying out at the coast! Portstewart/ portrush have it all going on, no disrespect to Garvagh mind you but definitely reconsider!!:thumby:

Sorry mate but you’d of been better of staying out at the coast! Portstewart/ portrush have it all going on, no disrespect to Garvagh mind you but definitely reconsider!!:thumby:

Do you actually know Garvagh though? I enquired about many holiday lets nearer the coast but they were either booked up or wanting stupid money. Quotes for 2/3 bed places ranged from 6 to 8K for 11weeks, including Open week. I have a 3 bed house for 3.5K. I really don’t know where everybody will stay next year. The area isn’t geared up for a massive influx of visitors from what I have seen.

Garvagh's a one horse town, people very friendly, zero crime and is fairly central to the north. Ten/fifteen minutes gets you up to Coleraine where there's reasonable good shops and eating houses. In Garvagh there's a good eating house called Vines and a couple of pubs and cafes. As they say, they're proud to be an Okie from Muskogee.

I personally don't know too much about Garvagh so can't comment as to bars & restaurants but it is a small place and nice enough. It';s not somewhere I would head to for a night out. It depends what you are after.
Limavady would have a bit more about it in terms of bars and restaurants and would be bout the same distance away from Portrush. There's a lovely coast road spin from Limavady via Coleraine to Portrush.

There are other areas to consider but may be a bit further away, depends on how far away from Portrush you are happy with.

I'm fairly familiar with the north west area, so just ask if you want to know anything else.

I am now just relieved to have my place booked up. I am following the Garvagh facebook page and I think it will be perfect for me. I prefer quieter ‘local’ feeling places. All four championship days at the event sold out long ago.so it is going to be a big Open. I really don’t know where everybody will stay! On the one hand I am looking forward to going to a new venue but on the other hand I can see it is going to be a bit of a nightmare logistically. First site meeting later this month. I hope Rory is in with a shout come the Saturday night.

Back
Top Bottom