Rear wheel oil leak

thanks. flange recall was done a couple of years ago. so it is the main seal inside wheel-side bearing then (ie shaft seal 33117679864)?

Can the units be rebuilt reliably?

The gearbox oil seal is between the crown wheel and bearing. The bearing is a 2RS deep groove ball (sealed for life grease lubed type).
If it’s done a fair few miles the grease lubed drive shaft bearing will also be getting elderly.

Talk to Mike.

Had unit rebuilt by BMW. £365 including parts and labour.

I drained the oil last week to see if there were any fragments of bearing in it. It was mint.

Had small amount of play with hands at 12 and 6 oclock. Nothing visisble but could feel a small amount. No play hands at 3 and 9 oclock.

BMW technician said there was some wear to ball bearing which is the play I could feel and that this was causing the leak. I think I caught it very early which is handy.

Now fingers crossed it lasts - fwiw there is no play in the wheel at all now

Had unit rebuilt by BMW. £365 including parts and labour.

I drained the oil last week to see if there were any fragments of bearing in it. It was mint.

Had small amount of play with hands at 12 and 6 oclock. Nothing visisble but could feel a small amount. No play hands at 3 and 9 oclock.

BMW technician said there was some wear to ball bearing which is the play I could feel and that this was causing the leak. I think I caught it very early which is handy.

Now fingers crossed it lasts - fwiw there is no play in the wheel at all now

Would be interesting to see the invoice with the parts itemised to see exactly what was done in there.

The BMW dealer may have replaced the main wheel bearing. But for that money they won’t have done a full rebuild with all four bearings and gear mesh shimming.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sh...25-BMW-R_1200_GS_08_0303,0313_&diagId=33_1782

Parts 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 11, 12, 14, being bearings and seals in final drive unit

According to BMW there was no need for further work

What is it that should have been replaced that wasn't? Thanks

Without a doubt the pinion bearings should have been replaced while it was down.
My FD was rebuilt by mikeyboy not because the seals were leaking or there was
any play in the wheel bearings as there wasn't no, it was because there was play
in the pinion bearings which isn't good and, to replace them its a total strip down.

That’s just bearings,seals and a few other consumables

I suppose, when you put it like that....But then, you know what's involved (looks like a lot of special tools to me). I'm relating it to the eye watering prices i always got landed with when my bike was dealer serviced (one particular dealer) If i was going that far i would have had all the bearings and seals renewed, but if the mechanic told the op nothing else needed done :nenau ....Time will tell. :thumby:

I think what some threads are implying is that for not much more dosh it could have had a full rebuild. just my thought!!

I think what some threads are implying is that for not much more dosh it could have had a full rebuild. just my thought!!

My thought exactly and what I did when my wheel bearing gave up the ghost. Sent off to Mike and fully sorted.

You also get the chance to properly check the Paralever bearings and drive shaft.

Unit went to Mike to have pinion bearings and seals repalced. Obviously would have been cheaper to have him do the whole job

Things I wish I had known at the outset re final drive and transmission:

1. Bevel box / final drive has 4 bearings: two perpendicular to driveshaft (crown wheel bearing behind wheel flange, and needle roller bearing on right side of bevel box) and two parallel to driveshaft at top and bottom of pinion
2. Full rebuild = replacement of all 4 bearings. Replacing only two not worthwhile
3. BMW dealers don't want to replace pinion bearings
4. There should be zero play in pinion. Pivot bevel box down to check for play
5. There should be zero play in rear wheel bearings
6. Leaks occur from crown wheel seal (symptom = oil on centre of back wheel and / or oil running down wheel in case of complete failure), right hand seal (oil over outside of final drive housing) and pinion seal (oil spreading under swingarm from join of bevel box and swingarm). In case of all three it is worth checking bearings for play. Mine had second and third leaks before first, and would have been much cheaper to have Mike do full rebuild sooner
7. Pinion splines should be lubricated with moly grease

I've probably missed some things. Would have been cheaper to know this stuff, but having paid to learn it hopefully this can help someone else

Thanks for posting link to that thread. Interesting reading, including re the backlash being related to pinion bearing wear.

Bevel Box pivot pin needle roller bearing also greased and new seal fitted

Back
Top Bottom