Which Mac help please

Big-G

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
As my old stand alone Windows has packed up I was going to just get a new hard drive but a mate has half convinced me to move to Apple as everything else in the household is. Wanting a stand alone unit and just for basic files and office and usuals i.e. programs line base camp etc then which model should I be looking at. It’s a mind field out there. Help please people. I’m looking for something around 24” screens
Cheers guys
G

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A better idea of what you want to do would help.

If you're not planning anything heavy duty like video editing any current model mac will do what you need. If you want a 24" screen I'm presuming you're looking at iMacs (they come in 21" and 27" flavours). Even the lower spec ones will likely do all you need.

And better, faster and more beautifully than a cronky Windows PC. No messing with anti-malware software either.

Take a look at the refurbished iMacs here and find yourself a bargain.

The best approach is to set yourself a budget and buy the best spec you're willing to pay for, even an entry level machine will seem astonishingly quick compared to your Windoze machine.

The higher spec you buy, the longer you'll be able to keep it before the software overtakes the hardware.

SWMBO is currently using my old MacBook which it still very respectable ..... despite being TEN years old ;)

You might also look at the Macrumors buyers guide as some may be nearing an update so it may be worth waiting to see if they update the model you're after.

I'm only wanting the basics and no publishing or editing so a basic is fine for me. The new Windows now had HDD and SSD drives but come in at around £800 and the older IMac comes in at £1000 so I wondered if the old Apple was as good as the newer Windows.
I'll look through your links later but it sounds like I might plumb for the cheaper IMac. I'm slightly dubious about a refurb around this price but still worth a look if the general conscientious is any Imac is better than Windows.
What do you think of the basic model still around.
21.5-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit display
2.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor
1TB 5400-rpm hard drive
Magic Keyboard and Magic Mouse 2
This is all out of my depth.
Thanks for the info
G

Buy the iMac that fits your budget, even the base model will be perfectly adequate for normal use. We did and haven't looked back.

I have a 21” i3 (no longer made), does everything I want.
What ever you buy if you want that little bit extra then spend the money on internal memory.

Tom

It comes with 8GB so does anyone recommend 16GB?
The extra is a whopping £180 on top!!

I went from a windows laptop/pc to MacBook and tbh its way above what i needed however i find it very easy to use and the ability to link all apple products / photos / invoices is an added bonus, its like having a big iPad, i would not go back.

I've been to have a look and the 21.5 is too small for me so it would have to be 27" with a price tag to match. What a dilemma. I'm back to £800 for an SSD windows or twice the price for a 2015 model I've seen. Argh. Now what??????

If you want o go larger screen then the way togo instead of imac is top go mac mini and then add either 1 big screen or maybe x2 24" screens - will prob work out cheaper.

I've been to have a look and the 21.5 is too small for me so it would have to be 27" with a price tag to match. What a dilemma. I'm back to £800 for an SSD windows or twice the price for a 2015 model I've seen. Argh. Now what??????
This. Current model 2017 27" iMac. 2 year warranty, 14 day free return.

What's to discuss?

21" 2008 Mac Desktop here ... had it ten years and still doing everything I bought it for. Would probably have had two or three Windows Computers in that time!

When it was four or five years old I got an email from Mac saying my desktop was in a batch where a faulty hard drive could have been fitted. Take it in for a new one. Any other computer manufacturer would not have sent such an email ...

New hard drive fitted FOC and my Time Machine backup reinstated everything to as it was before. Faultlessly and without any hassle.

When my Dell HD packed in they sent me a new HD, but I had to fit it myself and then load everything back in manually. T'was a PITA :blast

Mac every time ... get the best one you can afford ;)

:beerjug:

Assuming you have already got the screen size you like from the Windozz PC why not just add an iMac mini? No other changes needed.

I am a fan of buying refurb’d/shop soiled machines direct from Apple. I’ve had phones, iPads and a 27” Mac. Apple do not let these things out of their sight without being perfect and the warranty is as good as a new one.:thumb

You don’t have to use Apple memory.
Check out someone like Crucial.
Tom

This. Current model 2017 27" iMac. 2 year warranty, 14 day free return.

What's to discuss?

I think the refurbs are only 1 year warranty and funnily enough I was looking at that earlier. I'd probably go for the similar with the 2TB drive for £240 less as I'm not sure I'll benefit from the flash over the fusion?

You’re right 1 year warranty (though that wouldn’t bother me. I’d agree a 2 TB fusion drive would be a better choice than a smaller SSD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom