Gear indicator

malcolmkaty

Reaction score
My gear indicator on the dash keeps dancing around displaying 0 23 0 it will do this then it will be fine for a few days any ideas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My gear indicator on the dash keeps dancing around displaying 0 23 0 it will do this then it will be fine for a few days any ideas

What model / year ??

Try unplugging the sensor and seeing if that helps when you recconnect it

Could be corrosion in the plug - failing that a new sensor?

When mine misbehaved a few years ago I sprayed the sensor liberally with electrical cleaner. It didn't seem to help initially and I was waiting for a trip to the mainland to get it looked at, however it came back to life after several weeks. I've had no more problems with it.

Last night it stoped working completely to night i unplugged and sprayed the plug with acf plugged it back in still nothing started the bike up selected a gear still nothing then as i move up came a gear number clutched nothing showing . I would rather mot spend £125 on a sensor if it is something esle

Forgive me if I am wrong, but ACF is not a contact/electrical cleaner is it?

Have you made the problem worse?

I have use this for years on many other bikes and cars electrics with no problems
Their site quotes

It will protect electrical joints, plugs and components and prevent corrosion causing high resistance joints. This goes for PCB’s and electronics as well, such as computerised ignition and fuel control units and their multi pin plugs, while switches, controls and levers will all be lubricated as well as protected from corrosion. Multi pin plugs and connectors benefit from having ACF‐50 applied directly to the contacts.

You still havn't said what year / bike ?

If you want to pay silly money new its up to you,

There are SH units around, but as we dont know the model and year! :) we cant point you in the right direction.

Alternativley, you could remove the unit, and try cleaning it , not with ACF 50 though

The plug on the early gear indicators plugs straight into the unit.

The later plugs have a lead with plugs into the loom.

The early plugs have different types of locating/actuating mechanism.. good luck getting the correct type.

You really must remove the unit to find out which mechanism you have, as chassis numbers don't always give the correct item. Good luck

Just had a look at removing it . My torx sockets are to long so i get some torx spanners looks like an e8 but not sure plus will it come off with the swing arm in place

Remove it nice and easy . Prised it open and most of the silver tracks have gone .the bike has only done 20k not sure what the life span is on these sensors is. Now just to order another new or second hand , second hand might be half the price but will be off a bike at least 12 years old and could fail in a few thousand miles at least with a new one I would hope for at least another 20k

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It may need a reset with a gs-911..

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

It may need a reset with a gs-911..

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Disconnect the battery for a couple of minutes to reset the adaptations.
After reconnecting the battery ride the bike through the full gear range holding it in each gear for 10 seconds to re-learn gear positions..
If not on a convenient road it can be done on the center stand but be carefull.

As i am going to wait till winter to replace the sensor i put it back together and back on the bike . Went out tonight and after about 5 mins started working and still working now .
Does Anybody know what they should look like inside as i thought looking at my one that the tracks had worn out should the be silver or black

Mine acts up (2007 model) occasionally........normally when it gets wet, during wet riding or after a wash.

Sent from a U11

Back
Top Bottom