Help cant decide!!

pritchi83

Reaction score
Hi all

Im new to the forum. I used to have a Ducati Multistrada 1200 which i have just sold. I am looking to change it to either an r1200 GS Adventure Rallye or an s1000XR. I have ridden both bikes and love both bikes a lot. I have seen both bikes secondhand both with nearly all the extras and coming in at the right money for me. I am selling my car and have sold the bike as i am also putting money aside for a house deposit. Considering that i am going to have to keep this bike for a good while as buying a house is going to hurt my bike funds a good while :eek:

I will be using it to commute everyday as a daily driver. I wont be heading into the center of town a lot so filtering isnt a massive deal. All the roads i ride daily are plenty wide and have a bus lane i can make use of.

I would like to do some European touring on it too but i guess i can always rent a GS Adventure if i decide not to get one. Being in Ireland its not like i can just jump on the train and go.

Any help would be very much appreciated. I have posted this over in the GS forum as well to get both sides of the argument

My 2 pence worth

If you enjoyed the multi and can therefore cope with having a chain etc then the S1000XR is IMO the best bike BMW have ever made. It is however only at its best when being spanked so that might be an issue for commuting

The GS isnt the best selling bike in the world for no good reason it does everything you could ever need and does it well. If you read everything on here you will see the rust horrors and reliability but thats just biking.

The XR does most things reasonably and some superbly.

If i genuinely had to choose my head would dictate the GS !

I’ve had two GS, older ones mind, and just got an XR.

I find the main difference is that the XR is really just a dressed up Sports bike. The engine is cracking, the bike is really comfortable, and it handles really well.

The GS is quick enough, handles well and you could go round the world on it, but doesn’t have that real sporty feel.

Both are equally as good at what they do, maybe just consider a high revving engine of a big boxer engine, and it will depend what you are used to on this front.

If I was doing 8+ hours a day touring, and needed space for luggage and a pillion, there is no better bike than a GS, but I do the odd long trip a year, mostly I commute and go out for a few hours with some mates, so the XR can do the touring thing, but a little louder and higher revving than the Gs, but you can also go out and scratch it like a sports bike if you want to.

Long distances the GS will come into its own, but the XR has the sporty parts of this is what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have owned all 3 (standard GS though) and the XR is my current steed. The XR is similar to the multi, but better imo. It’s better because it la better built and reliable. You can easily tour on the XR, and it also has that hooligan element for a quick blast which the GS doesn’t have. I’ve just done 700 miles in 3 days on my XR. No problem. I would choose the XR.

I've had all 3 and would go for the XR every time now.

To throw a curve ball in to the mix, if you want the torque of the GS (well, more actually! :D) and the BHP of the XR, have a look at the KTM 1290 Super Adventure S.

I traded my XR in for one, and also sold my GS since getting this bike, and haven't looked back since.

I've had all 3 and would go for the XR every time now.

To throw a curve ball in to the mix, if you want the torque of the GS (well, more actually! :D) and the BHP of the XR, have a look at the KTM 1290 Super Adventure S.

I traded my XR in for one, and also sold my GS since getting this bike, and haven't looked back since.

I nearly said that about the KTM but knowing you had one made me not bother ! :D

I

Only buy a Ktm if you ok with losing a shite load of money, also when the manufacturer warranty is done there's no option to extend like Bmw, so your on your own, I've yet to see a SAS make 160 bhp

GS rallye is the best looking GS to date but there boring, the XR will keep you on your toes and weather much better.

Only buy a Ktm if you ok with losing a shite load of money, also when the manufacturer warranty is done there's no option to extend like Bmw, so your on your own, I've yet to see a SAS make 160 bhp

GS rallye is the best looking GS to date but there boring, the XR will keep you on your toes and weather much better.

All bikes lose money. The second I rode it away, I knew it would lose about £5k instantly, and probably another 2 or 3 over the next two years, but don’t care, the way the bike rides makes it worthwhile.

So Geoff’s dyno says it doesn’t make 160bhp, but others around the world say 148bhp, but again, I couldn’t care less. This bike is plenty quick enough.

We’re detracting from the thread though. OP, if you want a thrilling bike that thrives when it’s being revved, get the XR. If you want a good sensible bike, get the GS. But if you want a thrilling bike with more torque than the GS, and the same published power as the XR, at least go and have a ride on a 1290.

You can’t decide?

OK, I”ll do it for you. You have sold your Multistrada and your car. You want to buy a house but you need to commute, presumably to earn money..... and you want to buy another motorbike, so you are looking at two not particularly cheap ones.

Get a grip of what’s important to you. Either of the bikes, which 9/10’s of their time you’ll be commuting on or standing still, will depreciate. You don’t want to waste money on a depreciating machine to commute on if you want to buy a house. Find yourself a decent enough motorbike that you can commute on, that doesn’t cost a fortune and which you can still ride about on and / or go for the occasional tour on, though by your own admission that will not be that often.

What that machine is, is up to you but it certainly ain’t the 1200 WC or the S1000XR.

A nice st1300 on here for £3.5k. Perfect for the commute, and around the Alps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You can’t decide?

OK, I”ll do it for you. You have sold your Multistrada and your car. You want to buy a house but you need to commute, presumably to earn money..... and you want to buy another motorbike, so you are looking at two not particularly cheap ones.

Get a grip of what’s important to you. Either of the bikes, which 9/10’s of their time you’ll be commuting on or standing still, will depreciate. You don’t want to waste money on a depreciating machine to commute on if you want to buy a house. Find yourself a decent enough motorbike that you can commute on, that doesn’t cost a fortune and which you can still ride about on and / or go for the occasional tour on, though by your own admission that will not be that often.

What that machine is, is up to you but it certainly ain’t the 1200 WC or the S1000XR.
Impeccable logic from our own Spock

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

You can’t decide?

Thanks for the replies everyone! Yep i really cant argue with your logic on this. I do know that i want something ill hang on to for a while. I am going to the dealer later today to see what else i might have ignored when i was there the last time. Ill take a spin on the non adventure GS as well as the adventure and the 1000XR and see from there. Either way its going to be a good day :)

GS for a boring commute, XR for an exciting one, simples!

Only you know what kind of commute you want, but the XR will also excite on the days you just want to go for a ride for the sake of pure riding enjoyment!

I've had both and the GS was a great tourer but you could never call it an exciting bike, capable might be a better description.

The XR on the other hand.... I can't stop riding it for the adrenaline buzz it gives from its handling prowess and ballistic performance, all delivered in complete comfort with luggage attached - brilliant bike!

Only you know what kind of commute you want, but the XR will also excite on the days you just want to go for a ride for the sake of pure riding enjoyment!

I've had both and the GS was a great tourer but you could never call it an exciting bike, capable might be a better description.

The XR on the other hand.... I can't stop riding it for the adrenaline buzz it gives from its handling prowess and ballistic performance, all delivered in complete comfort with luggage attached - brilliant bike!

I’d agree with that 100%. We’re in Italy at the moment, and have seen so many XR’s on the road here. They absolutely love them.

Nothing comes close

Just took delivery of my second XR after putting 12K on the last one in less than 2 years.
Nothing comes close in my opinion, Fast, sweet handling and just about practical everywhere else.
Competent tourer for me. Just Fun, Fun, Fun
As a lot of the above came from a gaggle of GS machines before it but i honestly don't miss them.

Had a thread on here a while back complaining about it not changing in 3 years but when i seriously went out to buy something else
and test road a few i found i was complaining about nothing.
So HP colours for me and off again for a couple of years.

Dave UK

Good point. I got rid of the GS because it didn’t make me want to go out for a ride on a Sunday just for the hell of it. The XR on the other hand does.

This week I had a chance to test-ride a bunch of 2018 BMW's;S1000XR,S1000R,S1000RR,R1200R,R1200RS,R1200GS-Rally,R Nine T,R Nine T Urban GS.
Besides the S1000RR which is a great track bike and the S1000R which is the more comfortable version for the street it really came down to 3 bikes for me.Both S1000R/RR great and fun to ride bikes especially the S1000R on the street environment but no bags so not really useful.
The S1000XR which is a great bike with ballistic topend,the R1200GS-Rally which has a strong punch and torque and sign off where the S1000XR awakes at 8500 rpm and the R Nine T which really felt great was fun and made me feel good.I think I would take the instand torque and driveshaft of the GS-Rally over the the XR's addictive rush on top but in the end I would buy the R Nine T which looks & sounds great is fun to ride and has lots of character !
The R1200R/RS are good bikes but I think the GS is better with TL and real rev counter.The RS in black looked good though..:thumby:
I hope I did not confuse you too much...:D

XR great handling and addictive top end rush but at the cost of a chain and missing boxer engine that would protect your legs/bike in a crash.
GS handling on par with the XR and instant TORQUE but no top end rush.
It comes down to exiting topend and slightly smoother running engine or TORQUE,driveshaft and TL...
Too bad we can't have BOTH in ONE bike !

R Nine T just a great bike that makes you smile and feel good. The Scrambler/Urban I would not buy because the 19 inch front wheel slows down the steering too much going faster than 70...
I would by the R Nine T and the probably the GS-Rally because I hate chains...
Hope this helps on your decision...;)

The only bit I would disagree with is your comment that the GS handling is on par with the XR...

Trust me, there is no way that a GS handles anything like an XR, chalk and cheese, on a twisty road the GS would not even see which way the XR went, never mind keep up with it!

I rode the GS with the taller Rally suspension which has less trail than the regular GS.You are right.The Rally handles as good as the XR up to speeds of 70 mph.If you go faster the XR steers slightly quicker probably due to the lighter 17 inch front wheel.Yes the XR handles a little bit better than the GS with Rally suspension or GS-ADV which has the same suspension.But I was surprised how close the Rally is because the XR handles much better than the regular GS ! As also the 2018 GS engines felt really strong while the 2015/16 XR's felt like they had a stronger mid-range...topend rush was the same though,2015/16 compared to 2018.

Back
Top Bottom