For ALL global advice on parking, whether that be in towns, cities, villages, at stations, at airports, at ports or just at your mum’s….

I have a colleague who flys out of LHR & GWK farly frequently

He takes the bike every time -

Carry on luggage in the pannier - and he's often out and on the way home before most people have cleared luggae pickup

Later this morning I'm dropping some friends at Birmingham Airport.

What coins does the car park machine take?

In all seriousness, like most airports Birmingham offers an official way to avoid the drop-off charge by disgorging your travellers at a free drop-off car park (max 10 minutes) near to Car Park 5.

From there it's a 10 minute walk to the terminal or catch a free shuttle bus.

And don't forget to search for discount / promo codes when booking any parking, I've just 'saved' approx 25% on an airport car park booking, takes it from expensive to more reasonable. That is through the official site. 🚗

I admire your optimism that punters will drop in here, like they do with their begs for ferry codes in the specific thread!

Last edited:
Ouch! You have now made me feel cheap and shallow Wessie.
Je swee daze olay :(

In all seriousness, like most airports Birmingham offers an official way to avoid the drop-off charge by disgorging your travellers at a free drop-off car park (max 10 minutes) near to Car Park 5.

From there it's a 10 minute walk to the terminal or catch a free shuttle bus.

I had a question this morning about airport parking. So this thread is really timely. But hey, you know with a bit of diligence I answered it myself.

The question was: can I get a 2.07metrr high van into the T1 short term/pick up car park at Manchester airport? The answer is: you can. They have a small special over-height zone. The multi storey bit of the T1 car park otherwise has a 2m height limit.

Why did I need to know this?. Well, it’s due to a train strike today. Son#2 and his GF have been on a big bicycle tour of Europe but flying into manchester today with bikes in big bike boxes. Train tickets for his return to the Lake District. But no, ASLEF or whoever has taken someone on strike so no trains today. Can I pick him and their bikes up and take them home. Yes, I says if I can park at the airport. Manchester airport website says car parks have a 2m height restriction but Google street view shows vans inside the car park I need to use. Did I say it was 20p a minute to park here. Payable in only 30minute chunks to ie £6 or £12 or £18 etc. anyway after a bit of research I found a disability/accessibility website that had the details I needed. Strangely useful this website. https://www.accessable.co.uk/pages/about

6 hours later I’m home, fecked and enjoying a huuuuge whisky. I’d forgotten about how stoopid holiday makers look returning home still in their holiday gear. Nippy women😁😁 and blokes in flip flops. 🙄🙄

most airports have a parking fee now for drop off and collection. Manchester is expensive for this, most "collectors" park around 20 mins away from the airport and advise the person they are collecting to ring them when they get through passport control to the conveyor belts waiting for the baggage. the driver can then head to short stay pick up pay £3 ,collect and leave.

seems along trip from Garstang that AustinW, glad they are home safe though

most airports have a parking fee now for drop off and collection. Manchester is expensive for this, most "collectors" park around 20 mins away from the airport and advise the person they are collecting to ring them when they get through passport control to the conveyor belts waiting for the baggage. the driver can then head to short stay pick up pay £3 , collect and leave.

seems along trip from Garstang that AustinW, glad they are home safe though
I'm sure it's now £6 minimum charge for pickup.... for and up to the first 30 mins. The bastards!

Reactions: DC
I'm sure it's now £6 minimum charge for pickup.... for and up to the first 30 mins. The bastards!
It is £6 per half hour. Barrier free entry to most car parks too together with confusing signage means you can enter a pay zone without realising it and can’t back out without paying (DAMHIK). No 10 minute grace period or anything.

Oh, and apparently a £100 fine for dropping someone off or picking someone up outside the respective designated areas too. How they monitor that I don’t know but apparently they do.

20 seconds on the internet:

Manchester airport has a free drop-off point located in JetParks 1 with free 24/7 shuttle bus

It is £6 per half hour. Barrier free entry to most car parks too together with confusing signage means you can enter a pay zone without realising it and can’t back out without paying (DAMHIK). No 10 minute grace period or anything.

Oh, and apparently a £100 fine for dropping someone off or picking someone up outside the respective designated areas too. How they monitor that I don’t know but apparently they do.
Exactly what happened to me the other week at 02.30. Shocking signage which initially put me back on the westbound M56 until I could turn around. I got that frustrated after eventually getting into the correct car park and with time ticking faster than normal that I had a bit of a shouty petulant frenzy in the middle of the road outside Terminal 3. There is that much signage that it's confusing to non regular visitors...and then while your dithering the fekkin taxi driving cnuts are cutting you up from both sides and have disabled their indicators on purpose. The utter bastards.....the taxi drivers too. Complete and utter bastards and I blame Margaret Fekkin Thatcher for all this.

:rocketwho

....and breathe.

Back
Top Bottom