Question for ktoom single owners

mikeyboy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Overland and classic,vale of belvoir,Melton Mowbra
I have a hankering for another big trailly,
I had a 525 which in all honesty I wish I hadn’t sold,as it was a goodn.:comfort
So,as much as I’d like another,finding one in the condition I’d want is going to be a challenge,and I’m thinking of a newer derivative.
There seems to be a 530 exc and a 500 exc,
Can the collective share with me the differences from the 525 and an over view ,of things to be aware of?
Plus any personal views and opinions.
I’d like a 2nd gen husky 701 but I’m not spending that kinda cash.
690 would be another option but again a little above what I want to spend,as I have reservations on reliability of earlier models .
Ta muchly :thumby:

Hi I used to have a 2012 690 with a Rally Raid kit on it. Fantastic on the road and not a bad trail bike but was a bit heavy, woeful steering lock and gearbox ratios weren't great. Swapped it for a 2015 500 exc last year and I absolutely love it. Fitted a Highways Dirt Bike fairing, cush drive rear wheel and a modified seat, had it shipped to Bulgaria and rode it home on the TET through Albania, Montenegro, Bosnia and Croatia and then on tarmac through Slovenia, Austria (train to dusseldorf), Holland, Belgium and France. Did 2500 miles on and off road in 15 days. It was in a different league compared to the 690 offroad and not much worse on the road. Starts to feel a bit skitty over 80 mph. If you are going to use it mainly on the road there are better alternatives, but offroad it's brilliant. I've now put a Nomad fairing on it for a bit more weather protection and we're going back to the Balkans in September.

I have a hankering for another big trailly,
I had a 525 which in all honesty I wish I hadn’t sold,as it was a goodn.:comfort
So,as much as I’d like another,finding one in the condition I’d want is going to be a challenge,and I’m thinking of a newer derivative.
There seems to be a 530 exc and a 500 exc,
Can the collective share with me the differences from the 525 and an over view ,of things to be aware of?
Plus any personal views and opinions.
I’d like a 2nd gen husky 701 but I’m not spending that kinda cash.
690 would be another option but again a little above what I want to spend,as I have reservations on reliability of earlier models .
Ta muchly :thumby:

Sorry I can't help you as I sold my 525RFS on here last year. Great engine!

690e is a modified supermoto bike which ktm added 21/18 wheels and some kind of dirt suspension too

General consensus is they need a lot of mods to get them into any way suitable and then you still have a close ratio box to contend with

All the 500's are same capacity

From the 530 onwards they had a better, more modern chassis and better suspension - in comparison to a 525

As had been said they seem to be able to handle some distances and some guys are doing RTW trips on them

Love my 500EXC brought it after a recommendation from Martin at Tourque Racing - He's servicing many bikes on Rally’s and in his opinion the 500EXC is a good on and used the least fuel.

Not on the same league as the chap above but mine handled the 1600 mile Morroco trip with ease, I changed the oil halfway but needn’t have - the seat just requires a little grin and bear it :D

690e is a modified supermoto bike which ktm added 21/18 wheels and some kind of dirt suspension too

General consensus is they need a lot of mods to get them into any way suitable and then you still have a close ratio box to contend with

From the 530 onwards they had a better, more modern chassis and better suspension - in comparison to a 525

As had been said they seem to be able to handle some distances and some guys are doing RTW trips on them

So is a 530 essentially the same as a newer 500?

Very similar engines (except separate oil compartments for engine 600 cc and gearbox - 900cc - which some like and some don't, as early 2008/9 bikes had migration issues. This was cured post 2010 and 11. However you can convert early bikes with superseded parts. In 2012 onwards they went to common sump like 525. Some people like separating the oils as the engine oil keeps cleaner. However you can convert the 530's to single sump too)
A lot of chassis parts on 530 are similar
Main benefit is carb on 530 which some people prefer
Horses for courses - but the chassis on my 530 is better than the one on my 400 RFS was and is more modern

What years did 530 run from and to?

2008-2011 - easily characterised by the unique holes in the rad scoops (no other KTM has them, before or after)

However 2010/11 bikes are the most 'sorted' for a KTM

Attachments

• image001.jpg
    image001.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 310
  • image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 311
What’s the fuelling like on the fi bikes ,,,,wreford?

I cant real ever thinking about it so it must be OK....

I believe the Fi is part if the reason it’s so good on fuel Ive seen close to 80 mpg but them I do ride life a poof.

I got 102 mph out of mine the other day :D

...oh and because they are light you can run mouses all the time

I’d give Martin at Tourque a call, nice chap and a font of knowledge when it comes to KTM’s old and new and the tricks and tips that go with them

I find the fueling to be really good. They tick over relatively high and mine has a tendency to stall if you slow it down too much. I regularly get 250 miles from a tank of fuel (19 litres). As a lightweight travel bike they are fantastic.

Attachments

• KTM Croatia resize.JPG
    KTM Croatia resize.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 293
How many miles before the engine needs a rebuild if doing road miles?

How many miles before the engine needs a rebuild if doing road miles?

Shirley, it's relative........ How it's ridden, how often the oil's changed, conditions, blah blah.......

And I've just gone and bought a 14' 690 enduro :blast. I'll give it a year and see how I get on with it but those 500 EXC are quite rare ( for a good low hours bike ), I can always do more work on the 690...front forks for a start.
I've also just had to change both rocker arms on a 2700 mile bike as both bearing pins were just floating around and the inlet pin had started to cut a groove in the rocker cover which was the only thing getting in the way of a complete engine rebuild :eek:.
If you have a 690 and the rockers are SF13 or earlier change them !

Bit of TET next year I think :D

Hi I used to have a 2012 690 with a Rally Raid kit on it. Fantastic on the road and not a bad trail bike but was a bit heavy, woeful steering lock and gearbox ratios weren't great. Swapped it for a 2015 500 exc last year and I absolutely love it. Fitted a Highways Dirt Bike fairing, cush drive rear wheel and a modified seat, had it shipped to Bulgaria and rode it home on the TET through Albania, Montenegro, Bosnia and Croatia and then on tarmac through Slovenia, Austria (train to dusseldorf), Holland, Belgium and France. Did 2500 miles on and off road in 15 days. It was in a different league compared to the 690 offroad and not much worse on the road. Starts to feel a bit skitty over 80 mph. If you are going to use it mainly on the road there are better alternatives, but offroad it's brilliant. I've now put a Nomad fairing on it for a bit more weather protection and we're going back to the Balkans in September.

Having my 1150gsa taken out to Bulgaria next week using the BBS guys for a trip down into Turkey in September...another option for some Balkan TET next year.

I've adjusted the steering stops for a bit more lock on the 690 ( better but still not enough ) and I'm liking the close ratio box, need to get some more off road miles in to get a proper feel though.

Never really realised the 690 was a modified SM,
I’m aware the forks are budget bin specials,
Is the 701 of the same heritage?
SM bike with Shiite suspension.?
I’m slowly making my decision and setting my budget but understandingly wary of enduro bikes.£200 on plastics and all is good:hide
I want a mint 500 that’s had its balls polished ,no tacky decals,just a minter!
If I can’t find a proper thing I’ll save up till nxt year and buy new,,,
But I still keep looking at the 701:D

I assume that the modified supermoto description is your own personal opinion or are you able to point people towards some official KTM bumff :rolleyes:

I haven't owned my 690 long enough to be in a position to state otherwise however I do now realise that the front forks are inadequate (although upgradeable with a bit of work) and that the fuel range needs increased but I can honestly say that in race map this bike makes me grin like a total fucking loon :D. I also run a CCM644 supermoto ( over jetted, K&N, race exhaust and end can) and I thought that was crazy enough...the 690 also has me grinning on the back of my head as well :cool:

Opinions are one thing but hard facts are better...have you ever ridden a 690 Enduro R JB , if so it would be interesting to hear a honest comparison ?

Back
Top Bottom