Annecy as a base to explore Alps

Greybeard

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm looking at doing a trip to the Alps this September with a mate (he will be on a Triumph) - we're thinking of using Annecy as a base for ~ 5 days and exploring some of the routes outlined in 'Motorcycle Journeys Through The Alps & Beyond' (5th Edition).

Any recommendations - based on recent experience - for reasonably priced accommodation around the Annecy area with parking for bikes and within walking distance of restaurants / bars :beer: would be appreciated - thanks in advance.

PS: I see from other posts that September in the Alps can be busy with German bikers... are there any particular hot spots we should know about?

PPS: I've downloaded the Every route...GDB file posted by Wapping and will be using it to work out some of our days out - great resource!

We stayed at that hotel 3 weeks ago and it's clean and functional but basic. Right next door to underground car park as well.

Annecy was ok, apart from ice cream shops fcking everywhere and what looked like the 'calais jungle' homeless camp with random drunkards loitering near the hotel. Didn't cause us any problems however and they looked to eat better than us considering the food stockpiled in their camp.

Would I stay again, probably not as felt it too touristy and prefer a smaller town but if suits your needs geographically it will be fine

Thanks all,

I'll have a look at those hotels, but will also check out availability in smaller towns in the same area.

Cheers,

We had a couple of days in Annecy last October when we were on our way back from Spain (we stayed in an Airbnb apartment but I couldn’t recommend it).

Annecy is very touristy and hence eye wateringly expensive if you want to eat and drink in the city centre.

It isn’t particularly well placed for day trips into the Alps either as it’s so busy and it’s north and west of the best passes. I think I would stay further east and probably further south but obviously it depends which routes you decide to do.

We stopped there on our way back from skiing - some thieving bastards rogered my car's locks to try & pinch our gear. Plod didn't want to know; reckoned it was just kids high jinks

Pretty place though, on the lake, but very touristy & expensive like the cap says.

Wapping me and a few others stayed in a Logis hotel in Doussard at the southern end of the lake - much easier access to Alpine routes - we found the roads around Annecy town very congested in September. We went half board and were happy with the food. https://www.hotelarcalod.fr/en/

Wapping me and a few others stayed in a Logis hotel in Doussard at the southern end of the lake - much easier access to Alpine routes - we found the roads around Annecy town very congested in September. We went half board and were happy with the food. https://www.hotelarcalod.fr/en/

Thanks - that looked promising but sadly it's already full for our dates :((must be good!).

Back
Top Bottom