Thinking of a 1200 (currently run an 1100)

ajd

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I run 1 1996 R1100GS, have had it for years, getting a bit long in the tooth now. Runs very well but wheels badly corroded and there are a couple of things I know about that might become awkward as she gets older still. There are a couple of 1200GSs I might be looking at as a replacement:

2008, 25000 miles, 5+ owners
2006, 13000 miles, 4 owners (£200 cheaper than the 2008 one)

I know the 1100 inside out and upside down, is there anything in particular I need to look out for in the 1200? Thanks folks.

The 2008 has a better final drive and some other improvements most importantly the ABS does no have that daft servo system. The frame paint is poor on 08-09 bikes but it's easy enough to deal with.

I owned a 1150 and had the opportunity to wheel a 1200 GS around. All sorts of comments on which is better, some say the 1100 is the original and the best. What struck me was how lite the 1200 was. Liked it right off!

If it was me (and its not!!) I would give serious consideration to a twin cam 1200GS

I love the dynamics of the 1200. If I'm honest the Adventure is too tall for me but I still love it for how it works on pretty much all roads. I don't love it's minor parts reliability or the design "features" that BMW's engineers really should have not allowed to happen.

I also dislike the handlebar sweep angle that only fits my wrists if sat bolt upright so that every road bump pile-drives my spine. But that's a personal thing and can be sorted with some Renthal Fatbars.

If you find a bike with rusty frame, use it to get a good price but unless it's flaking with rust, the rear subframe is easy enough to remove and have painted. Get it (and any questionable steel bits) hot metal zinc sprayed, etch primed and painted. I would strongly suggest doing the same for any steel parts that you might otherwise have powder coated. Even one that I had done in powder has rusted again. It's not worth the costs when metal spray is cheap.

For most folks, the screens on both models are crap. Get a Givi AF330 and enjoy smooth air around your head.

The luggage is ok but unless it's cheap again look to Givi. I use one of their plastic Trekker top boxes. Its far more useful than the BMW box and does not affect handling. I have it direct on the GSA rack without the riser rack the OEM case uses. Seat are a personal thing but for taller people the Sargents get great reviews. At 5ft 8ins, I found the Sargent seat rim rubbed into my leg (seated) and dug in painfully with feet on the ground. The standard height Touratech/Kahedo is better for me. The OEM seats are both horrendous but can be re upholstered.

I’ve just moved to a 1200 twin cam after 9 years on an 1150

So far ive no regrets and I’m loving the 1200

It’s familiar enough to feel at home on it but different enough to make the change worthwhile

Only downside is it’s costing me a F.C. king fortune farkling it to get it how I want it 😆

Superbly helpful comments, thanks very much everryone. I think I am sold on the idea of the 1200 - but what is it about the twin cam engines (am I right in thinking they are the 2010 and later bikes) that everyone (well, some or most people) says is so much better?

Same here, had an 1150 for a few years and moved to a 2010 GSA TC around 4 months ago, she has inter galactic mileage on her, but runs like a Swiss watch, more comfortable, quicker and more modern.......go for it!

Easy way to tell by a quick look, a "Twin Cam" has two bolts on the rocker cover rather than the usual 4 bolts on the 1100 1150 and pre TC hexhead The LC has 3 bolts

My thoughts on 1200s I think the design concept was good, but they fucked up with the the simple things i.e.

Servo brakes on 2003 -> 2006 ish have a bad habit of going tit's up at as and when it feels like !!!(thankfully the forum has a workaround Just remember If you need and find the thread look further through it and You do not need to cut any wires ! :thumb)

Fuel pump controllers which end up in a pool of water (Fucking Newbie designer Cock up, that but leaves the rider with no engine power at the most inopportune moments!!

Cheap antenna ring assemblies from 2005/6 through to 2008 (bendy will know this one better than me) at least with this you just get stranded where you stop

Not to mention stupid fucking fuel strip that doesn't work 2006 onwards (earlier Mk1 GS had a float device that worked quite well When teh servo brakes aren;t trying to kill you!) and costs two fortunes but you allegedly can Zap them with a Piezzo lighter to revive them

There are a Load of recalls on all the pre twin cam So If you aren't sure of a bike get the last 7 digits of the frame number and call a dealer and check if they are done or not Biggest would be the Drive flange where the alloy rear wheel mount spider gets changed for a Steel one

Which reminds me of LE Piece de Resistance The Total Fuck up hoofwanking cockwomble Wanking design of the Final Drive that needs special tools to strip and rebuild and budget on a £350 to £450 rebuild by the time you post the P.O.S. anywhere

If you want a 1200 Save your pennies and at least get a Twin cam or a very last of line of the previous model

Oh and Hopefully they have "all" done it by now but they had a penchant for the heads of exhaust valves falling off at indeterminate times No Rhyme or Reason It could happen at tickover Which was incident one on my bike or at higher rpm which was incident 2 on my bike 15,600miles later after the rebuild!

Whilst the Early 1100GS had a soft gearbox If you haven;t fucked it by now???

You could spend a grand on suspension and set of wheels and still have a bike you know but it does things better :beerjug:

:beerjug:

Thanks DrFarkoff. Wise words to slow me down a bit. Still want one though... I love my Tiger and it does everything well but it doesn't light the fire like a big GS horizontally opposed twin.

Currently on a 2008 GSA, absolutely love it, bought it after working my way through a 1100, and 2 1150's, no way am I letting this one go, had it hilltopped this year, and just back from a tour with close to 3k miles in a week, and in high 30's heat, never missed a beat , fill up and go! Comfortable and never had it let me down apart from a sensor for oil level going, cheap fix. Never had the infamous fuel strip go, or any other problems you find on forums, mate of mine has the 2007 and 85k on his, never missed a beat and just back from Norway at circa 5k trip , I'm at 34k now and was on 18k when bought, just normal servicing and that's it. Maybe just lucky , but no corrosion or paint issues on mine, but do wash it regularly , and is used all year round. Hope this helps, and enjoy whatever you go for.

I've owned a few GSs and GSAs. The most memorable one for me was the first GS1200 in about 2004. First ride was brillant and my onership of that bike was trouble free. It was the non ABS model and it was light. JJH

Put some money aside each week as a "disaster fund"
If the fund is never needed......it can go towards your next bike.

Sent from a U11

Most things have been covered here but remember a few things:

Most of teh issues like ring antenae and fuel pump controller have been dealt with under recall and now are no problem.
The fuel strip thing is hit and miss and most never get a problem
The FD will need a rebuild at some point so budget around £450 for that and you'll be good to go

I have an 06 1200GSA with approaching 150,000 miles and it's runs beautifully. It's had a hard life and I've obviously had things go wrong but it has never once let me down. They are good strong bikes and although the TC has an edge on performance, the older ones ride really well and teh vast majority of them have given trouble free service to their owners.

I'm on my second 07 GSA........ I put 60,000kms on the first one and would still have it only it took a shine to a Renault Traffic last year.

Put good suspension on it and service it on schedule and it will be very rewarding to you.

Sent from a U11

I'm on my second 07 GSA........ I put 60,000kms on the first one and would still have it only it took a shine to a Renault Traffic last year.

Put good suspension on it and service it on schedule and it will be very rewarding to you.

Sent from a U11

+1 wot he said.

Fine gentlemen you all are (unless some are ladies and I didn't spot it). Many thanks. I remain a GS devotee. Not sure I'll manage to ever be rid of my '96 1100 (Dr Farkoff - gearbox still fine!) but I think the Tiger will be sold for a 1200GS.

Anyone interested in a 2014 Tiger 800 ABS with 10,000 miles and full touring rig?

My twin cam engine uses significantly less fuel than a 1150,
Charles

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Really enjoyed this thread, thanks all. I think I'm about to close a deal on a 2011 1200GS Triple Black.

good man

nearly went TB myself but I've had enough of cleaning spoked wheels :)

My 2006 1200GSA bought it in Feb 2011 with 20000 miles on it it’s now done 57000 (tempting fate here) apart from some faulty wiring which was easily fixed it’s not been an ounce of trouble, absolutely fantastic bike.

Had all the usual recalls rear disk flange fuel pump controller new fuel pump and new fuel strip all working fine as is the brake servo.

If you look after it, it will look after you :thumb

Back
Top Bottom