ANYONE TRIED USING A TABLET AS A SAT NAV ON THEIR BIKE?

Lee Frost

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Someone on the ABR site recently listed a Samsung Galaxy Active rugged tablet and Brodit locking mount that they had bought to fit to their bike and use as a GPS unit.
Has anyone tried this as an alternative to using the usual bike sat nav (Garmin Montana/Zumo etc)? Seems like a cheaper option with a bigger screen - but is the GPS any good?
I was thinking about taking the roadbook holder (which I don't use) off my rally bike and replacing it with a rugged waterproof tablet like the Samsung.
Any advice appreciate :thumb

Why not just try it? If you like it and it works, tell us. If you don’t or it doesn’t, tell us too.

A Google of: tablet mounted on motorbike, tells us you’ll not be the first to do it, often with some success.

Why not just try it? If you like it and it works, tell us. If you don’t or it doesn’t, tell us too.

I didn't buy the one on ABR - it got snapped up - so i thought I'd seek advice and wisdom here before splashing out £250 or whatever on a tablet and mount.
The bloke selling his kit had never actually used it because it's quite big and heavy and requires a lot of space on the bike. The bloke who bought it off him hasn't fitted it to his bike yet either.

I would personally hunt around for a good second hand Nexus 7 plenty of power, and 32 gb of space is plenty, and battery life is really good.

I would personally hunt around for a good second hand Nexus 7 plenty of power, and 32 gb of space is plenty, and battery life is really good.

Have you used one on your bike Smogbob?

Other tablets are available:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lPrctiPwads" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kf-wmGWsv9E" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://www.webbikeworld.com/using-tablet-motorcycle-gps/

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/navigation-maps-compass-gps/motorcycle-gps-vs-tablet-86507

https://adventurebikerider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38882

http://allroadendurotouring.com/all...ablet-navigation-rugged-dry-cases-protection/

A couple of years ago I bought a tank bag advertised as suitable for use with a tablet, it had a stiffened map case section and a hole for the power cable, I can't remember the maker, but I couldn't see the screen in sunlight and the tablet overheated dramatically in the zipped compartment in sunlight .. I fell for the hype I was a mug for buying it ..

There are many threads on the web about using 7" tablets as nav/ media centre devices on in cars etc.

There are a couple of inherant problems.

Some tablets dont come with a GPS sensor onboard, so this has to be factored into the equation.

The power / interface connector is micro usb, so an adaptor of some sort wll be required for power / gps use.

Audio out, will work with USB, as well as the standard headphone jack - But dont expect megawats of output, you need either powered

headphones / headseat

There not ruggedised / or waterproof, so dont expect to drive through the rainforests or go through rivers and have it working flawlessly ;)

You’ll maybe need to find a tablet with a touchscreen that responds to touch in motorcycle gloves?

Is the big screen a tablet offers a real advantage?

There are many threads on the web about using 7" tablets as nav/ media centre devices on in cars etc.

There are a couple of inherant problems.

Some tablets dont come with a GPS sensor onboard, so this has to be factored into the equation.

The power / interface connector is micro usb, so an adaptor of some sort wll be required for power / gps use.

Audio out, will work with USB, as well as the standard headphone jack - But dont expect megawats of output, you need either powered

headphones / headseat

There not ruggedised / or waterproof, so dont expect to drive through the rainforests or go through rivers and have it working flawlessly ;)

The Samsung Galaxy Tab Active is water resistant and comes with a rugged mount. You can also buy waterproof rugged cases for other tablets, though mounting securely may then be an issue. I like the idea of a tablet and the Brodit locking mount as I can fit the mount to the rally tower on my bike in place of the roadbook holder, rather than attach it via a Ram arm, so it will be more secure and also protected.

Well, I now have a Samsung Galaxy Tab Active tablet which is supposedly waterproof and rugged enough to withstand a drop from 1.2m without the rubber protective case on. I also have a Brodit Pro Clip lockable charging mount to fit on the bike. I'll let you know how I get on.

Attachments

• IMG_4625.jpg
    IMG_4625.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 1,342
Someone on the ABR site recently listed a Samsung Galaxy Active rugged tablet and Brodit locking mount that they had bought to fit to their bike and use as a GPS unit.

I have this set up on my GSA for riding offroad and have had it for about 12 months now.

The samsung tablet is generally very good but I don't believe they make them anymore.

The standard sat nav holder with the contacts removed fits a circular disk ram mount and using a short arm will connect onto the brodit mount.

To make it work as a sat nav you;d need to use google maps and download the offline maps or buy the tom tom app or something for what ever cost per year.

I used viewranger to get the O.S maps but they provide a UK wide free map (the scale/detail you'd typically get from a paper road map) you can get to most places with that.

Alternatively fit a sim card and use a live data connection.

The locking mount is not very good, it seized on me and wont open, you can pry the tablet out, but Ive gone for non locking this time. I've had no problems with it gripping the tablet.

To provide power you need about 9v I think, so you need to get a female 12v cigarette connection to connect the brodit mount to.

The 12v female connection is via a switched relay.

The male and female cig socket connections are in a piece of inner tube then sealed up with gaffer tape and live in the cockpit area behind the winglets.

I was navigating with google maps the other day it it went haywire doing all sorts, not sure whether it was the rain or voice commands being activated by the wind noise.
I found a setting eventually for turning that off but not had chance to try in the rain again yet.

I don't recommend as a sat nav without a decent offline navigator like the tom tom app. It is however a great replacement for paper maps.

Having a 7" screen display for 1:50k or 1:25k maps provides an easy to read display. Its been very useful for doing parts of the T.E.T.

BTW. most gloves wont activate the display BMW enduroguard have a tactile pads on the index finger which do work.

EDIT:

Check your positioning of the mount carefully before bolting up tight as the brake and clutch reservoirs or mirrors will hit it otherwise.

Also you need the ram mounts to lift the tablet out from infront of your RID otherwise you wont be able to see turn signals, cruise control or revs about 2k or MPH much above 30mph.

Mirrors might also be a problem. Though I've flexi mirrors so they can be flipped up to filter pasty trucks and 4x4's and for tumbles.

Thanks for the info blueranger. I got the powered mount with the charger adaptor box and bare wires so I assumed it could be wired into the bike (KTM 690 Enduro) somewhere. I'll be removing a powered roadbook holder and ICO Trip computer to make space for the Brodit mount so there's lots of wiring at the front end of the bike. I'll leave it to someone who knows what they're doing! I'll look into Viewranger and also the Tom Tom App. Will want to use it off road outside the UK (Morocco, Iceland etc) so I'll need to explore the mapping options.

Lee, I use a Garmin Montana and for ten quid yellow safety glasses with bottom part as a reading glass. Simple :)

Viewranger and also the Tom Tom App. Will want to use it off road outside the UK (Morocco, Iceland etc) so I'll need to explore the mapping options.
There is a buddy beacon feature as well which is useful if you get into trouble.

Edit... your also better buying regions than individual squares. Also once you have bought the maps you can download onto multiple devices, so as I have an android phone the maps are on there too as a back up.

Lee, I use a Garmin Montana and for ten quid yellow safety glasses with bottom part as a reading glass. Simple :)
Simple is always good, I tried with I think an Oregon, too smaller screen. I'm shorted sighted so need to wear glasses to be legal on the road.

Just downloaded TomTom Go and that looks decent. Only £14.99 per year to upgrade to unlimited miles and they have maps for most of the world.

Back
Top Bottom