Boots are doing my nut!

G&T

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
For nice dry days on the bike I wear my Solomon mountain boots..I know..I know. Anyway with far flung adventures planned I bought a pair of Sidi Adventure 2. Fit perfect, nice and comfy and shin protection. Result!

1st ride. I soon realised that whereas previously I could easily slide my foot between the gear changer and foot peg I couldn’t with the Sidi. No problem, so I altered the gear lever position up.

2nd try - Nope. I found that I couldn’t flex my foot high enough up to upshift + it felt like I had to lift my foot too high and stamp to down shift.

3rd try. So I altered the lever back down thinking it is more comfy to naturally rest my foot on the lever to down shift and for up shift catch it with the side of the boot. Well that’s easier said than feckin done too. Bloody gear changes missed, reving the nuts off in first because I can’t t get second. Oh yes and it just so happens when I try to slide my foot a little closer at the most critical time willing my big toe to reach for the sky the feckin heel tread catches on the knarly tooth foot peg with the gravitational pull of the sun! FFS It’s like a scene from feckin river dance. I’m riding like a proper cnut! And before you say it no I don’t always. Just in sand!

Any words of wisdom?

I found the Wunderlich adjustable gear lever helped. LC GS & Sidi Adventure / Altberg Hogg Lite.

Dump the boots and buy a set of full length forma boots. Absolutely the best boots I have ever worn, comfy and bone dry even in monsoon and no Larkin around with gear change club footage

I have the Sidi and have not encountered any problem. I know that doesn't help, sorry. I adjusted the lever up very slightly and that was enough

Dump the boots and buy a set of full length forma boots. Absolutely the best boots I have ever worn, comfy and bone dry even in monsoon and no Larkin around with gear change club footage
A friend of mine is just about to advertise a pair of Forma's in size 44 (great condition in black)

Sent from a U11

A few have mentioned the Forma boots, but I don’t have a problem with comfort which I know they are. I seem to have a problem with flexion if that makes sense. I’m used to pivoting my foot on the peg, not having to lift my foot off to down shift or move my foot forward to upshift. I’ll give another incremental lift of the lever, but maybe it is simply new boot syndrome.

It really does make a normal great day riding *hit though. It’s interesting when your mind is not on the road, because what You have previously dialled in has altered, and how that massively affects your riding.

Thanks Glenn

I have the adventure boots and found when new they needed a bit of walking to loosen the foot pivot, no real issues but much easier when worn for a while, had them a few years now,
a friend had similar experience just walked in them to loosen them up, no issues now,
they are good protection i had an off and the boots did a good job in particular ankle and shin area,
you won't regret going for a decent walk in the sidi instead of your solomons,

I wear the same boots on my TC GSA and I've never had any issues.
It must be a LC thing, sorry!

I bought a pair of Sidi Adventure 2

Was it for ‘the look’?

If so, bin them and buy yourself a pair of Daytona boots. Thousands of happy owners and many more millions of happy miles.

I’m used to pivoting my foot on the peg, not having to lift my foot off to down shift or move my foot forward to upshift.

I read that as you having the peg, right at the back of the boot’s sole, close to or abutting the heel block. Get used to riding on the ball of your foot.

No.1 was they are Goretex and that was a big filter of choice for me + the protection.

I normally ride where my foot sits naturally on the peg between the heel and ball. Actually, yes I do have to then move my foot to reach the gear lever or brake lever for that matter. Some experimentation required. Thanks.

Bloody hell, I normally just jump on the bike and ride off. That gear stuff...it’s so fickle. :)

I can relate to this, but I couldn't afford brand new adventure boots. Ended up with some HG Tuareg boots for £30 on ebay which are seriously reinforced, feel almost like motocross boots. Took some getting used to on my GSA but I can't use them on my RT. I think you have to sacrifice a bit in the feel/flexibility department which is made up for in the much higher levels of protection.

The Sidi's are brilliant boots and I wear mine for easy trails as well as on the road. IMHO they offer the best balance between protection & comfort and I've yet to find anything better in that regard.

You WILL get used to them G&T, persevere.

I've always worm MX boots so to me they are in comparison like a pair of comfy slippers ;) and have never had issues changing gear as that's what I'm used to.

One thing though is that you don't usually move up the box using your toes in MX boots, most people just clip the gear lever with the edge of the sole. By doing this you only need raise the lever up, say, one notch of the splines which means it's not toooooo high for changing down. Having said this I still take my foot off the foot peg a lot of the time to push down on the lever (just habit from off roading).

Now the Sidis aren't as full on as MX boots and nor does the sole/welt stick out so much but I find myself doing the same anyway, again probably just habit.

The other thing (but not a cheap solution) is to fit Pivotpegz. I swear by them and have fitted to them basically every bike I've ever owned (where there is a fitting as they are predominantly for off road and dual sport bikes).
As the name suggests they 'pivot'. This has two advantages; they are more comfy as they move with your foot (especially stood on the pegs) but also the position of the gear lever is far less critical due to your entire foot pivoting rather than just your toes (if that makes sense?).

Andres

You WILL get used to them G&T, persevere
Andres

Thanks Andres. Good advice. Never had MX boots, albeit the sidi’s are a hybrid, and “that’s not what I’m used to”. Will stick with...:thumb

Leather still stiff, give this product a try https://www.afinepairofshoes.co.uk/products/saphir-shoe-eze-leather-softner. You may need a few applications in the toe area, does not harm or leave marks on the leather. Very good service from this supplier and she knows her products in side out.

Thanks Zoltan. I was wrestling with them last night :D to twist and turn them. The toe area is solid, but I guess it should be. Today I’m going to lift the lever one click and try again. I’m also going to loosen off the top of the boot which may also help with flex.
Thx Glenn

Thanks Zoltan. I was wrestling with them last night :D to twist and turn them. The toe area is solid, but I guess it should be. Today I’m going to lift the lever one click and try again. I’m also going to loosen off the top of the boot which may also help with flex.
Thx Glenn

The steel ( or plastic ) shank normally runs from the ball of your foot to the end of the heel, that is the main reason for the stiffness. You can't do anything about that. They will break in eventually.

I found the Wunderlich adjustable gear lever helped

I'd endorse this.

Have you got big feet?! I've had the same problem and found the best solution is a gear leaver that extends out or is longer. There's a TT one as well but like everything TT and Wunderlich it comes at a price!!:blast

Back
Top Bottom