Boots are doing my nut!

I'd endorse this.

Have you got big feet?! I've had the same problem and found the best solution is a gear leaver that extends out or is longer. There's a TT one as well but like everything TT and Wunderlich it comes at a price!!:blast

Boots are 11.5 (46) They fit perfect and I’m a 10.5 shoe. Just been out to adjust the lever and sit on the bike static. The thing is my neutral position on the peg is with the toe end slightly facing down. So lifting the lever higher than this point feels uncomfortable to lift the leg for down shift. I can just get my foot underneath the lever but let’s see what happens on the road.I have also cinch’d the buckles loose a tad.

I didn’t know they made lever extenders - you learn something. Ta.

For nice dry days on the bike I wear my Solomon mountain boots..I know..I know. Anyway with far flung adventures planned I bought a pair of Sidi Adventure 2. Fit perfect, nice and comfy and shin protection. Result!

1st ride. I soon realised that whereas previously I could easily slide my foot between the gear changer and foot peg I couldn’t with the Sidi. No problem, so I altered the gear lever position up.

2nd try - Nope. I found that I couldn’t flex my foot high enough up to upshift + it felt like I had to lift my foot too high and stamp to down shift.

3rd try. So I altered the lever back down thinking it is more comfy to naturally rest my foot on the lever to down shift and for up shift catch it with the side of the boot. Well that’s easier said than feckin done too. Bloody gear changes missed, reving the nuts off in first because I can’t t get second. Oh yes and it just so happens when I try to slide my foot a little closer at the most critical time willing my big toe to reach for the sky the feckin heel tread catches on the knarly tooth foot peg with the gravitational pull of the sun! FFS It’s like a scene from feckin river dance. I’m riding like a proper cnut! And before you say it no I don’t always. Just in sand!

Any words of wisdom?

Surely you are meant to put your feet in them. This might be your problem as I doubt if both nuts would fit without a degree of discomfort.

Derek

I had a similar problem when I went from TCX Infinity to Alpinestars Corozal - the Corozals are bigger and thicker and have a much stiffer build/sole. I had to move the gear lever up to get it correct and even now I am not happy with the downshift. But I am kind of getting used to it and I like the comfort and feel of the bigger boots.

You would really benefit from walking around in them not just 5 minutes, , the feel of reinforced boots to walking boots will be a big difference,
its worth persevering and using them to break them in as they do loosen up, a good start point is adjust the shin so you can get your hand down the front inside the boot, then gradually tighten to preference
the lc gear lever appears to be shorter with adventure pegs which i have fitted to my gs, the normal gs ones are narrower which may help with the gap and give more room plus allow pivoting which you prefer,
like the others i have no issue with changing gear, that may be down to style and preference, the gs pegs may help , with the rubbers out they are even smaller, and only a few minutes to fit,

Look what I found

Now I don’t know if all models of GS or GSA have this (I’m on GSA Rallye 2018), but as standard the gear lever comes with an extender up, down and forward, albeit a small one, but might just make the difference when you’ve got your full length boots on.

I have adjusted mine with what I think should be OK to swap between dry day short boots and full length Sid’s but nice to know extra movement is there if I need it.

Attachments

• 5708DAA3-C4F4-4984-8849-9D7846AED0F6.jpg
    5708DAA3-C4F4-4984-8849-9D7846AED0F6.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 185
  • A6E6666D-D933-4B2D-AB13-E13FA5087DB8.jpg
    A6E6666D-D933-4B2D-AB13-E13FA5087DB8.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 165
Now I don’t know if all models of GS or GSA have this (I’m on GSA Rallye 2018), but as standard the gear lever comes with an extender up, down and forward, albeit a small one, but might just make the difference when you’ve got your full length boots on.

I have adjusted mine with what I think should be OK to swap between dry day short boots and full length Sid’s but nice to know extra movement is there if I need it.

You can also rotate the peg, this gives you small movements up and down too.

I had real problems getting a comfortable setting on the LC. didn’t have these issues on previous GSs.
I ride with size 45 Daytona’s. I either had it too high and it was uncomfortable reach to shift up or on the lower settings I would occasionally catch the reinforced patch of the boot on the lever when tucking my boot underneath.
I ended up fitting the bmw adventure pegs set at middle setting and now I can get the shifter in a good position.

Nope do not have that on standard GS but looks a cool addition, I was looking at this one from Gilles Tooling

https://www.gillestooling.com/produ...7/schalt-und-bremshebel-kit-fuer-rct12gt-bm05

If your bike is a GSA with serrated pegs I would swap the footrests over fro ones from a standard GS model, being narrower and rubber covered they allow you more foot movement and easier gear changing.

I rode my GSA (with a gs seat fitted) and a loan GS back to back and the GS felt totally different despite the only real difference being the riders pegs... try one

If your bike is a GSA with serrated pegs I would swap the footrests over fro ones from a standard GS model, being narrower and rubber covered they allow you more foot movement and easier gear changing.

I rode my GSA (with a gs seat fitted) and a loan GS back to back and the GS felt totally different despite the only real difference being the riders pegs... try one

Thanks Neil, I think I am sorted for now, which has taken about 10+ adjustments to find what I’m ok with. I have loosened off the top of boot to give more flex and enough dip on the lever so I don’t have to lift my foot so high. I hope through time this becomes more natural.

Ta
Glenn

Back
Top Bottom