Odd question about TKC tyres

simondippenhall

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Gents

I may have to bring a new rear TKC on the plane to Cameroon in September when I go to pick up my 1150 GS where I garaged it in Yaoundé in March.

The airline limits each piece of checked baggage to a total of Height plus Width plus Depth of 158 cms.

As my bike is in Africa I can’t measure these dimensions.

Anyone got a rear TKC tyre for GS to hand that they would be willing to measure?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Simon

Last edited:
I've just measured up a loose, slightly worn TKC80 150/70 17 (off a F800GS) and its..
63cm diameter by 15cm width

Hope this helps.

Mark

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

B vs R

Got the new replacement tkc80 for my GS today, to be lugged out to Cameroon.

I seem to have ordered B17 not R17 :blast.

My belated research tells me this is belted rather than radial.

Does that matter? It will be running on rough African tarmac, and off-road dirt and mud, but likely not at more than 60 mph.

And will it be notably more difficult to fit (having stiffer sidewalls I believe)?

Any wisdom from the great minds of ukgser much appreciated!

Simon

Tkc 80 dimensions

Tkc size (again)
Mark

Seems I need to bring a new front tyre too!

Would you (or another kind Tosser) be able to measure the front tkc for me too, please?

Thanks!

Thanks Bowie!

It seems odd that the front tyre which is 19 is only 2 cms greater in diameter than the 17 of the back tyre (see post No 2). I had expected that as 19 inches was playing 17 inches, it would be more like 5 cms (2 times 2.54 inch to cms).

What am i missing?

the sidewalls are different heights.

the second number in 150/70/17 is the sidewall height, as a percentage of the width, in this case 70% of 150 = 105mm

sidewall height of a 110/80/19 is 80% of 110 = 88mm

17" (432mm) plus 210mm (2 x 105) = 642mm
19" (483mm) plus 176mm (2 x 88) = 659mm

17mm difference in overall height.

Gog; I was just working that out on a piece of paper...when you saved me the trouble! Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom