Updating Nav 5 mapping

hairysteve

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I want to update the mapping on my Nav 5. I purchased it new less than a year ago but came with 2015 maps. I havn't registered it in my name as yet and i assume i will need to (correct me if i'm wrong) to update. What i would like to know is .. Do i need to fit an SD card to increase the memory to add 2018/19 mapping.. Thanks in advance...

I want to update the mapping on my Nav 5. I purchased it new less than a year ago but came with 2015 maps. I havn't registered it in my name as yet and i assume i will need to (correct me if i'm wrong) to update. What i would like to know is .. Do i need to fit an SD card to increase the memory to add 2018/19 mapping.. Thanks in advance...

Yes, you need to get nothing larger than a 32gb memory card and format it to FAT32. Buy a decent quality one, not a Chinese knockoff. You will need to register it in your name.

Before you start:

1. Fully charge the Nav V device

2. Download and install the latest edition of Garmin Express to your home computer

3. Download and install the latest software updates to your device

Away you go....

I have never registered any garmin product in my name ,and they all update as required.

I have never registered any garmin product in my name ,and they all update as required.

But you have to add it to Basecamp and to get any support at all, it needs to be registered to the user. Also if you have bought any extras, then its downloaded through your log on account at Garmin, so you have to be registered.

What is the advantage (beyond putting one up ‘the man’) of not registering?

Nowt to do with being "one up", If you sell its less hastle.
I sold my LC last year with Nav 5, no issues for the new owner to update maps .
He can register the unit if he so requires.

I was simply pointing out that registering is not required.

As an aside my camper has an integrated Tom Tom, I had to register to update maps.

There is no hastle selling pre-registered devices to a third party, as plenty of posts on this site prove.

Bods used to avoid registering devices as it enabled them to claim their one free map update at a later date. With the all but universal arrival of lifetime maps (where the maps are coded to the device, not to the owner) that penny pinching excuse has gone out of the window.

if you bought it new then it will already have an SD card in it....mine did, bought new from BMW dealer

Back
Top Bottom