Pwllheli and back for the day yesterday

King Rat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I had a day of work in Pwllheli, so rode over through the back lanes, not touched a dual carriageway other than a short stretch through Stone! Managed to achieve 91mpg, even going through the Welsh mountains around Ffestiniog. The B4407 is a great B road, there is some traffic on it, but I only saw 3 cars in about 15 miles.

Filled up with 110.7 miles on the trip. The tank was absolutely brimmed with 5.49 litres! :aidan

I am running a 17t sprocket on the front, which means you have to use 4th a bit on slow, steep hills, but it should make chain life better too, as it is going round a greater radius, presumably there is a little extra surface area for chain to sprocket contact too.

I had a day of work in Pwllheli, so rode over through the back lanes, not touched a dual carriageway other than a short stretch through Stone! Managed to achieve 91mpg, even going through the Welsh mountains around Ffestiniog. The B4407 is a great B road, there is some traffic on it, but I only saw 3 cars in about 15 miles.

Filled up with 110.7 miles on the trip. The tank was absolutely brimmed with 5.49 litres! :aidan

I am running a 17t sprocket on the front, which means you have to use 4th a bit on slow, steep hills, but it should make chain life better too, as it is going round a greater radius, presumably there is a little extra surface area for chain to sprocket contact too.

Christ i couldnt get that MPG if i put the Ducsati on a trailer ( Nofuck tiger will be along soon to say its always on the AA van)

I think you are delusional about the chain it will be fucked from stretching as all chains do on motorbikes and poor maintenance and IMO cant have its life extended by a different size sprocket

On those roads smiles per gallon are a far better measure than miles per gallon.

B4407 is a great road and fantastic chunky chips to be had in the Café where the B4407 meets the B4391.

On those roads smiles per gallon are a far better measure than miles per gallon.

B4407 is a great road and fantastic chunky chips to be had in the Café where the B4407 meets the B4391.

Is that what that place is. Across the road from the T junction where I turned right for Ffestiniog? I did wonder whether you can get across to the slate mine? There is a bit of a track across the stream between the junction and the lake on the bend.

Yes, a small cafe in the back of the farm house.

That track does take you up to the slate mine. I’m not sure if it’s a legal track / byway. I walked it a few times with the dog and seen plenty of mountain bikes but never seen a motorbike up there.

There’s part of that road that drops away quite sharply and the front wheel lift very easily, even on the heavyweight 1150.

A great place.

Christ i couldnt get that MPG if i put the Ducsati on a trailer ( Nofuck tiger will be along soon to say its always on the AA van)

I think you are delusional about the chain it will be fucked from stretching as all chains do on motorbikes and poor maintenance and IMO cant have its life extended by a different size sprocket

Of course, and it will need lubing, of course, but surely not going around so many corners and having the load spread a bit is going to have some benefit - if you get 20,000 normally, it might get you 22,000 on the bigger sprocket. I didn't expect it to give indefinite life, just a bit of an extension - like my tyres last longer than most peoples'!

Of course, and it will need lubing, of course, but surely not going around so many corners and having the load spread a bit is going to have some benefit - if you get 20,000 normally, it might get you 22,000 on the bigger sprocket. I didn't expect it to give indefinite life, just a bit of an extension - like my tyres last longer than most peoples'!

If you ride very gently tyres will last longer obviously and chains too if looked after and not hammered under hard loads such as aggressive acceleration and wheelies. A different size sprocket will not make any difference IMO it isnt the number of times it goes around in a loop that dictates the wear
Im sure someone could do the maths but 2 extra teeth on a sprocket might save on full revolution of the chain in every hundred ( thats a guess )

I get that you ride very gently and fair play to you but dont worry about chain life and extra toothed sprockets.

Biking isnt about efficiency drives and money saving FFS

A bigger rolling radius does give the links and pins an easier time, the angle that they have to move through going round the sprocket is less.

If you ride very gently tyres will last longer obviously and chains too if looked after and not hammered under hard loads such as aggressive acceleration and wheelies. A different size sprocket will not make any difference IMO it isnt the number of times it goes around in a loop that dictates the wear
Im sure someone could do the maths but 2 extra teeth on a sprocket might save on full revolution of the chain in every hundred ( thats a guess )

I get that you ride very gently and fair play to you but dont worry about chain life and extra toothed sprockets.

Biking isnt about efficiency drives and money saving FFS

It is when it is your main means of transport and you are in my situation....

Back
Top Bottom