Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aluminium Cleaner

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Dark Side of the Moon (Haute Loire) France
    Quote Originally Posted by patzx12 View Post
    All bike bare aluminium is lacquered.
    I wish my Triumph engine casings were

HD have bare aluminium wheels on some models and i ‘burnt’ some once usng SDOC 100 gel cleaner. A detailer on another forum suggested 00grade wire wool used with autosol to remove the marking. Belgom Alu to protect after..certainly worked on my wheels at the time

Hope you get some success with P&O complaint, certainly should do.

Just tried the Autosol on my BMW top box, works great, looking good.

If they scratched the paintwork would you be repairing that yourself too? I'd go down the route of claiming against the ferry insurers to have that mess professionally rectified by whatever is the best method. Probably worth dis using with your own insurers too ASAP to see if they can pursue the claim against ferry.

If alloy was un-coated it would be dull and oxidised after 1 wet weekend ride.

Dark Side of the Moon (Haute Loire) France
    Quote Originally Posted by patzx12 View Post
    If alloy was un-coated it would be dull and oxidised after 1 wet weekend ride.
    All the Triumph modern classics have bare aluminum engine covers unless they are black of course

I swear by multi purpose winder wipes in the big red tub from screwfix for cleaning and de greasing my bike / car where necessary- keen but not caustic or harmful- amazing for getting silicone and grease off .... and great hand wipes.

I suspect the Givi trekkers alloy surfaces are anodised, so any salt/acidity will have destroyed the finish........permanently.

Might be worth talking to Givi, otherwise paint, wrap or try & ignore it.

Let's hope P&O will concede. Hopefully you have some before, during & after pics - don't hold your breath though.

Mothers is good stuff

Givi trekkers are definitely NOT anodised or lacquered , no reply as yet from P&O , however , 2 or 3 hours with cutting compound on a small air random orbital polisher followed by Solvol Autosol the box is as near to new condition as possible.

As for informing my own insurer , not a f*cking chance , bear in mind with my car when I enquired about claiming on the FREE windscreen cover I was assured that it would not effect my protected NCD but it may lead to an increase in premiums at renewal time ( paid for the windscreen myself and the tw*ts still brought it up at renewal time because they were aware of an incident and it might make me an increased risk).

No doubt if I informed CN the b*stards would bring it up at renewal time because after all it was my fault that the bike was on the ferry in the first place and no doubt in their minds it may well mean that I am likely to do it again

You are right; Givi say Trekkers have anodised panels, whereas Trekker Outback/Dolomiti are bare alloy.

Glad to hear they are now OK with a bit of elbow grease.

Not sure about your issue, but far and away the best aluminium polish I've come across is Bel-Gom Alu. Kept my Triumph Thunderbird wheels, notorious for corrosion, in perfect condition.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12