Insurance claim.....

Deleted account 230523001

Reaction score
....I was knocked from my awesome steed (Harley) in Portugal in May of this year.
Carole Nash arranged for recovery and repatriation back to my hotel, via a taxi.
Next morning I called Nash and asked them what the score was, they told me what I could and could not do and spend, I suggested that I would arrange everything, car, flights back to UK and reclaim expenses once back in the UK.

I ended up with a shitty Fiat 500 for the rest of my stay and flew back on shitty old Ryan air from Porto, however, since it was very hot, it was a bit of a relief and easier to cart my shit around.
I also had a few other expenses(Taxis).

I claimed for all of it and kept receipts, received a claims form from Nash and sent everything off to them, they paid all of my expenses without question, straight into my bank account.:beerjug:

I forgot to claim for my bike, it was only 2 weeks after I had been back in the UK, that I realised I had better check where we were up to:D The communication with Aviva was not very good through all this, they had not told me they were repatriating the bike back to my home address in the UK, it was only because I had made a call to them, that they told me the bike would be back with me in three days time! The recovery company called me and told me exactly when it would be back, Aviva were fuck useless at this part of the process, so I communicated with the recovery company, choosing my day for delivery to fit in with my agenda, it worked fine.

I then got an estimate for repairs via photos and description from Sycamore HD, they were brilliant.
The estimate was high, so I expected the bike to be written off.
Aviva sent out an assessor yesterday and he took me through the damage, much worse than expected, the headstock was twisted badly, the front end was fucked, as the lock bolt on one side of the triple trees had sheared and you could see it was all banana shape:D.

It came to the offer, he tried the usual low offer, but settled on full retail replacement(condition good), not private sale value, so I was happy with that and because it was a total write off, the salvage was very cheap:thumb

All in all a very positive and easy claim for me, but then I was not pushed for time or money and have other bikes to use.

First time I have had to claim for a total loss.

That's all very useful info.
Thanks for bothering to post it! :)
(no - i AM being serious!)

Which all rather puts the lie to the often spouted bollox, that they take your strides down and rape you.

Which all rather puts the lie to the often spouted bollox, that they take your strides down and rape you.

One of the reasons for putting fingers to keyboard to be honest.....The assessor from Aviva was a decent guy, he was here for over an hour and we exchanged stories from days of good gone by, we both had similar life experiences and interests and I am sure this played a part in my favourable settlement, in other words......We were both decent human beings brought together by an unfortunate turn of events, he could see I was truly upset by the condition of the bike and was realistic when I asked him to find one in similar condition for the first offer, the wonder of the internet and realistic costs of replacement was a joy to witness......Technology can be used to return a favourable result instantly!

Damn not good news for your steed but at least you resolved the issue, any damage to yourself?

Damn not good news for your steed but at least you resolved the issue, any damage to yourself?

No damage to myself, jumped and pushed clear at the moment of impact, my elbow went through the screen of the car, but provided me with the upward momentum to get clear, thankfully I was wearing a jacket with protection/armour.

Reasonableness, market awareness and a realistic approach will oft yield the best results:thumb2

It’s refreshing to know that despite your true loathing of the human race, that occasionally even you can be shown that it’s not all bad.:beerjug:

I had a similar experience with Bennets, can’t remember which insurance company, claim was sorted with minimal hassle.

So it can happen.......if you can make a connection with the assessor and neither side acts like a Dick.....polite and professional helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure if I'm pleased for you or not TBH

I liked that bike, to look at any way and its a shame it has met its end. However am i right in understanding that you have bought the salvage from the insurer ?

Are you going to make it ride again ??

That will please me

Can I ask for some clarity please?

I take it your break down cover and road insurance was via Carole Nash and and Aviva were the underwriter for the road element...

1, Why didn't your breakdown cover repatriate your bike?
2, Did Aviva recover it and was this claimed from the cars insurance in Portugal?
3, Did the car driver accept full liability and were the Portuguese police called to the scene?

Thank you

Can I ask for some clarity please?

I take it your break down cover and road insurance was via Carole Nash and and Aviva were the underwriter for the road element...

1, Why didn't your breakdown cover repatriate your bike?
2, Did Aviva recover it and was this claimed from the cars insurance in Portugal?
3, Did the car driver accept full liability and were the Portuguese police called to the scene?

Thank you

It was all my fault.....I failed to observe give way sign, no markings on the road.....However, she was speeding, as the damage clearly demonstrates, the Police were not interested and fined me for the offence of ignoring the sign......I could go into detail, but it would take a lot of effort and I can`t be arsed.
I cannot remember the intricacies now, nor can I be arsed, suffice to say I am happy with the outcome.

My insurance, whomever it was and is, paid for the lot.

On Sunday the 22nd July a young driver knocked my lad off his 125... it was a Sunday.

0930 Monday I received a call from More Than - accepting liability
1500 Tuesday bike collected by local Honda Dealer
1100 Wednesday - call from assessor to say cost to repair exceeded value - we agreed a payout which I found acceptable.
0930 Monday cash hits my Account -

8 days from Accident to payout - Royal Sun Alliance (More Than) have been superb.

On Sunday the 22nd July a young driver knocked my lad off his 125... it was a Sunday.

0930 Monday I received a call from More Than - accepting liability
1500 Tuesday bike collected by local Honda Dealer
1100 Wednesday - call from assessor to say cost to repair exceeded value - we agreed a payout which I found acceptable.
0930 Monday cash hits my Account -

8 days from Accident to payout - Royal Sun Alliance (More Than) have been superb.

How are you going to spend your winnings? :D

No damage to myself, jumped and pushed clear at the moment of impact, my elbow went through the screen of the car, but provided me with the upward momentum to get clear, thankfully I was wearing a jacket with protection/armour.

Good to see all those years of practice in the dwarf throwing business paid off.

Were you wearing your velcro suit ?

Just had a word with my insurer and was told that despite being fully comp here you only have the minimum cover required while abroad .what a rip off. Just had a good look on the website and it’s only after 90 days your cover drops to minimum requirement .

Last edited:
Just had a word with my insurer and was told that despite being fully comp here you only have the minimum cover required while abroad .what a rip off. Just had a good look on the website and it’s only after 90 days your cover drops to minimum requirement .

What do you think fully comp in the uk covers you wherever you fancy going?
If ever you feel ripped of just remember it’s because your bad at buying stuff and not them trying to con you. Maybe get the wife to look over and important financial decisions you make, just to be safe.

Back
Top Bottom