RT LC Sintered Pads

dicktheleg

Pestie to the Nobility
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’m just about to replace the rear pads on my 2015 LC, can anyone tell me if the originals are sintered or not and whether the disc is stainless or cast.

I’ve always used Ferodo pads before now and will do again, I just need to know whether the sintered are more suitable.

Thanks

I reckon I can answer my own question.

Magnet sticks to rear disk so I don’t expect it’s stainless.

Platinum pads it is then, not sintered.

Magnet sticks to rear disk so I don’t expect it’s stainless.
That means nothing.
Many grades of stainless steel are magnetic.

Austenitic structures are totally non-magnetic and so a 100% austenitic stainless steel would be totally non magnetic.
In practice this just does not happen.
There is always a small amount of ferrite and/or martensite in the steel.

It is possible for the magnetic permeability of austenitic steels to be changed during processing. For example, cold work and welding are liable to increase the amount of martensite and ferrite respectively in the steel.

In practical terms, austenitic stainless steels are used for “non-magnetic” applications, for example magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).

Your discs are most definitely not cast iron otherwise you would have rust dripping off them.

Just a bit of advice for those contemplating waving a magnet around your discs,don't do it!. If the magnet comes anywhere near the ABS sensors,you risk damaging the sensors permanently.

Back
Top Bottom