GS 2008 handguard blue threadlock how best to remove

landmarkjohn

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
GS 2008 handguard blue threadlock how best to remove/weaken the threadlock on the recessed nut? My nut is turning in the recess (no sniggering), I tried wedging a small flat blade to stop it , no good. What are the options? Thanks.

Are we talking the big Torx50 at the end of the handlebar ?

are you sure its just turning or is it actully undoing - but on a long thread?

Did you manage to get it off???.....You need heat to soften thread lock and penetrating fluid to loosen rust but you already knew that. Sometimes violence helps. :thumb2

I think the 'blue threadlock' that you're referring to here is actually a nylock nut. If this is the one that holds the two plastic components together, i.e. the hand guard to the deflector as it were.

If it is, then I'd remove the whole thing for better access and attack the area around the recessed nut where the plastic has failed to allow a socket in there or needle nosed pliers...

Good luck, the thing isn't that tight, and if it is the bolt I suspect, heat will do nothing but cause you a bill.

Roger

Sounds like bolt holding bar-end weight at end of bar? If so, impact gun - tighten then loosen. If that is your issue, I've had the same problem and that was the only way. A standard 14.4V or 18V impact gun shoudl be fine as not high torque. If a different bolt, disregard this

GS 2008 handguard blue threadlock how best to remove/weaken the threadlock on the recessed nut? My nut is turning in the recess (no sniggering), I tried wedging a small flat blade to stop it , no good. What are the options? Thanks.

Images of the offending nut would help.

Here is a picture of the little (c)nut. It is a hex nut recessed into a hex aperture in the plastic hand guard.
4fea0ce6dfc5df27118f002489135c27.jpg
1ad583d5ed5ee54acd712079437119ce.jpg

Remove all the blue stuff that you can see. Try a small vice grip on the outside of the plastic to squash it against the nut. It will leave a mark that should be able clean up afterwards JJH

It's the "nyloc" material that's chewed up. It's probably gone cross-thread and might have sheared the threads so it's spinning loose. Try wedging a flat screwdriver against a flat on the nut. More likely you will have to trim away the plastic flange to get a spanner on the nut. Afterwards, clean up the plastic and reassemble with a dome nut and large(r) washer.

It's the "nyloc" material that's chewed up. It's probably gone cross-thread and might have sheared the threads so it's spinning loose. Try wedging a flat screwdriver against a flat on the nut. More likely you will have to trim away the plastic flange to get a spanner on the nut. Afterwards, clean up the plastic and reassemble with a dome nut and large(r) washer.

Beat me too it :)

Use some moles onto the plastic across the flats.

Back
Top Bottom