Hp2 Sport, real world riders and wisdom please

SKIPSTER

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Looking to the collective for a bit of a heads up on the HP2 Sport.

I have done all the Internet research etc, but it is hard to wade through all the sales pitch and b*ll sh*t.

Can anyone describe the ownership and riding experience?

Finally I have the option of two bikes. Would you pay a grand more for a ‘Motor Sport’ paint scheme with four previous owners or a grand less, with one owner in the traditional carbon and white. Both the same milage and condition.

I understand they made 400 motor sport coloured bikes so I assume they are more collectible and will appreciate greater over time?

Considered thoughts from the wise please.

Many thanks.

They are great bikes, but very focused. Think Honda SP1/2, Aprilia Mille R......

Not a bike for around the houses - tracks and open roads, is where it comes into its own. Handling is brilliant, suspension is FIRM.

I’ve had some cracking runs from Edinburgh around the borders and up to Ullapool and back - but cant think of anywhere down around Hampshire and south coast - that would do it justice.

Air/fuel ratio is all over the place unless hard on the throttle, and tick over is fairly lumpy. Standard mirrors are shit, and waggle about at idle. There are conversions available to fit BMW S1000RR mirrors - which are a huge improvement and dont spoil the looks. Hang on to the originals though.

Carbon fibre is horrendously expensive (Belly pan gets a fair amount of stone chip damage)

Is the motorsport version more ‘collectable’ ? Possibly, but plenty of folk will prefer the original.

I guess you could be looking at around £14-15k for a low mileage one, in pristine condition (age no difference) and ABS/No ABS - wouldn’t be a dealbreaker for most folk.

Al

Thanks for taking the time Blackal, much appreciated.

Annoyingly I can only find dealers selling them.

A whopping 17.5k Is the best example I can find, but for some reason I’m not convinced it will ‘rock my world’ enough to justify the outlay.

I had not considered ABS/no ABS so I will continue my research and looking for perhaps a more reasonably priced option.

Many thanks Al, very helpful.

Regards,

Matt

Just to clarify - some had ABS, some did not.

Mine is the 2008 ‘ordinary’ one without ABS, but has a full Akra system and the S1000RR mirrors (and just over 5,000 miles)

Al

Motorsport scheme was only 710€ more as an option.
I will not pay more on second hand for just some colour.

ABS is a must for me, as you can dissable it when needed.
Will add a little weight on the bike.

S1000RR mirrors are necessary.

I changed the handlebars with the ones built by Ken.panrucker@shawbiz.ca
https://bmwsr.org/forum/showthread.php/81073-New-Twist-on-Bar-Risers

You can decat keeping the rear exhaust, so lowering the weight with Haslauer header.

header-53c635e.jpg

...the higher clip ins are worth considering and the de cat option, well I appreciate the benefits so time will tell.

I thought the Motor Sport paint job might at a later date, make the bike worth more but interesting you would not pay more for one.

Thanks for your post GSMarc

full titanium AKRA and Powercommander 5 (or Rapidbike) are more valuable for the pilot than than just colours.

if you add a pair of carbon fiber wheels, you save a lot of weight more.

I said : I would not pay more than +710€ for the Motorsport scheme.

I have an 08 non-ABS so it’s in the original white / carbon colours. In retrospect I should probably have gone for the ABS option but in reality, it doesn’t stop me enjoying it. As has been said previously, the suspension is quite harsh but works (for me anyhow) on decently surfaced roads and obviously tracks.
I agree with previous comments that the original mirrors are terrible but the S1000RR mod works quite well.
Don’t prevaricate........just get one!
Actually, I’m just about to replace the rear tyre (currently Dunlop Sportsmart) .........anyone have any thoughts on latest rubber options?

I have Dunlop Sportsmarts on my R-1 and HP2s - can't see past them.

..’hmmmm’ I am over thinking this purchase.
The Dealer with the Black and White bike knocked £500 off and the other Dealer with the Racing paint scene won’t budge even though the bike has had 4 owners and the bike is not perfect.
I am sure it would be a pleasure to own and would complete my HP2 shed, but then I start thinking we will run out of fuel and I will be left with expensive, static works of art in my shed!...
I will go and look at the black and white bike tomorrow......

I have owned one of the original ‘Black and white’ ABS bikes from new, which has remained absolutely standard.

Whilst I don’t ride it often, it remains one fantastic motorcycle. Only once did I have a pretty average time, touring on it in pouring rain on some very broken roads in the Black Forest.

A really exciting engine and bike, better in many ways than the (much cheaper) SP1 I owned for four or five years. As a show case for what BMW could do with the engine, without recourse to water cooling or jaunts to Hilltop, it is first class.

.....nice to hear your thoughts Wapping.
I am so disgusted with both Vines Guildford and Bahnstormer Alton that I will wait to buy privately.
Cheers anyway.

I have an 09 Bike with ABS. The bike is for sure something special and it just feels so right in everyway. My biggest like is how you can simply adjust mechanically the front suspension on the fly and make it softer when your cruising and then stiffen back up which your on on the twisty's. Its just a pure analogue machine all the way round and mine is completely standard still.
The lacquer over the carbon fibre can flake off easily so better to have it protected with a protective film.
I prefer the no fussy standard colour white and carbon....
Good luck and you will enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom