Has this been posted ?

The Nav 5 /6 doesn't show any additional information than the TFT.
Navs life span has been cut short.....

True - but it allows you to display multiple fields of data at once.

2018-01-13%2016.49.20%20-%20Copy.jpg

True - but it allows you to display multiple fields of data at once.

2018-01-13%2016.49.20%20-%20Copy.jpg

If you look at the picture, the GPS display in this case shows 4 numbers of interest. These numbers could easily be placed in vacant space on the display.
Further, if you remove the GPS there will be room for a larger display.
An iPad or a Samsung pad with 10" screen would easily fit. They come with all the DataPower needed, including a GPS receiver. All that is needed is a CAN-bus interface, the rest is up to software.

It (a larger display that is) will come. The question is, who will be first. Both Ducati and KTM has been ahead of BMW when it comes to using flatscreen displays, even if, as of now, I think the BMW display by now is the best looking.
But I don't think for a second that the others are sitting there just watching…
This will be good for all of us, regardless of preferred make of bike.

What additional data does it show that the TFT doesn't ? :nenau

im assuming he means you can have full TFT display of bike info / data AND all the Nav info at the same time with separate displays so its 'additional info' . If you are using the Nav function what data will you lose, lots presumably.

Anyway there is a far, far larger issue with this new move forward.

How the hell do you get a fully loaded GSA in the lift and up to your hotel room in order to plan a bit of a route on the Nav that night ready for your next days riding? I suppose the riding gods amongst us could just ride it up the stairs :D

If they have moved to TomTom, that’s a good thing. The next generation of these bikes will come with larger TFT’s, probably iPad sized, and you’ll be able to plan routes on your phone or iPad on the go, and Bluetooth them to the TFT.

TomTom already has MyDrive so you can do this with their devices. The only thing that the manufacturers need to work on is the anti theft mountings, so they don’t keep getting stolen.

…….
How the hell do you get a fully loaded GSA in the lift and up to your hotel room in order to plan a bit of a route on the Nav that night ready for your next days riding? I suppose the riding gods amongst us could just ride it up the stairs :D

Rumors are saying that BMW is working on a removable display.

Another option would be to download the route from your planner to the display. The technology is already there, it's just a matter of what choice the manufacturers want to make...

Rumors are saying that BMW is working on a removable display.

Another option would be to download the route from your planner to the display. The technology is already there, it's just a matter of what choice the manufacturers want to make...

That’ll be fun as it can sometimes take the dealer days to update the TFT firmware :)

That’ll be fun as it can sometimes take the dealer days to update the TFT firmware :)

indeed. :thumb2

We are all regarding an electronic display as an instrument where the conventional clocks are replaced with an LCD or TFT.
Who will be the first to come around the other way, a weather proofed and TFT pad with an instrument cluster app?

In addition to the regular instrument you could bring it to your table for planning, you may use it for surfing, booking, bike diagnostic etc . and third part companies like CANswitch could add their app for setting up their powersupply (as an example). The imagination would be the limit.

I think (hope) it will come, and I think it will be done by a company from Europe (or US), bot not necessarily from BMW as the first one.

indeed. :thumb2

We are all regarding an electronic display as an instrument where the conventional clocks are replaced with an LCD or TFT.
Who will be the first to come around the other way, a weather proofed and TFT pad with an instrument cluster app?

In addition to the regular instrument you could bring it to your table for planning, you may use it for surfing, booking, bike diagnostic etc . and third part companies like CANswitch could add their app for setting up their powersupply (as an example). The imagination would be the limit.

I think (hope) it will come, and I think it will be done by a company from Europe (or US), bot not necessarily from BMW as the first one.

I think this is highly unlikely, as for reasons of meeting vehicle construction and use legislation manufacturers have to be absolutely certain that instrumentation will function reliably at all times. To this end being run by the car's internal systems and displayed on a dedicated display is the safest way to achieve this. Imagine the situation where an app crashes, or stops working reliably after an update, or is incompatible with something else you have installed on your removable multi-purpose "pad" or is hacked and suddenly starts changing your suspension or engine settings. For this reason I find it unthinkable that bikes would have a removable smart display pad which owners would be allowed to connect to the internet and install third party software on, but which also acted as the bikes primary instrumentation display.

In any case, the trend is away from tablets/ipads which are declining in sales volumes, and towards larger smartphones. People increasingly need a smartphone and as they become more capable, then the need for tablets reduces, which is why I think the automotive trend for a fixed secondary display which can be used as a mirror display for your smartphone will be the dominant model. Possibly we will need in-car wifi to give the bandwidth needed to make these Apple Carplay or Android Auto displays fully functional, but I am sure this is coming. For example, I already run my front/rear dashcam unit from my smartphone over a wifi link between them which displays the camera views on my phone for setting up purposes or for replaying footage - the video recorder unit doesn't even have its own display.

For sure bikes have less space for secondary displays, but if you can mount a satnav then why not mount a secondary display instead and then use that as a display for your smartphone. It could be made non-removable which solves the satnav theft problem particularly as it is a relatively dumb display only device, and any potential software or hardware issues on the smartphone driving the secondary display would have no safety implications for the primary instrument display.

BMW already have lots of problems with the TFT panel software while including only limited secondary functions. If they try to combine the instrument panel with much more complex secondary display functions in one device then I think they are asking for trouble unless the display unit is hardware partitioned with separate electronics and display sub-panels for each function. I think you need separate panels to avoid the possibility of the complex secondary functions having a problem and scrambling the display of the primary functions.

I think the most likely future development will be for BMW to release a secondary display panel which takes the place of the NAV unit and is driven by a more sophisticated smartphone app including full satnav functionality.

I think this is highly unlikely, as for reasons of meeting vehicle construction and use legislation manufacturers have to be absolutely certain that instrumentation will function reliably at all times. To this end being run by the car's internal systems and displayed on a dedicated display is the safest way to achieve this. Imagine the situation where an app crashes, or stops working reliably after an update, or is incompatible with something else you have installed on your removable multi-purpose "pad" or is hacked and suddenly starts changing your suspension or engine settings. For this reason I find it unthinkable that bikes would have a removable smart display pad which owners would be allowed to connect to the internet and install third party software on, but which also acted as the bikes primary instrumentation display.

In any case, the trend is away from tablets/ipads which are declining in sales volumes, and towards larger smartphones. People increasingly need a smartphone and as they become more capable, then the need for tablets reduces, which is why I think the automotive trend for a fixed secondary display which can be used as a mirror display for your smartphone will be the dominant model. Possibly we will need in-car wifi to give the bandwidth needed to make these Apple Carplay or Android Auto displays fully functional, but I am sure this is coming. For example, I already run my front/rear dashcam unit from my smartphone over a wifi link between them which displays the camera views on my phone for setting up purposes or for replaying footage - the video recorder unit doesn't even have its own display.

For sure bikes have less space for secondary displays, but if you can mount a satnav then why not mount a secondary display instead and then use that as a display for your smartphone. It could be made non-removable which solves the satnav theft problem particularly as it is a relatively dumb display only device, and any potential software or hardware issues on the smartphone driving the secondary display would have no safety implications for the primary instrument display.

BMW already have lots of problems with the TFT panel software while including only limited secondary functions. If they try to combine the instrument panel with much more complex secondary display functions in one device then I think they are asking for trouble unless the display unit is hardware partitioned with separate electronics and display sub-panels for each function. I think you need separate panels to avoid the possibility of the complex secondary functions having a problem and scrambling the display of the primary functions.

I think the most likely future development will be for BMW to release a secondary display panel which takes the place of the NAV unit and is driven by a more sophisticated smartphone app including full satnav functionality.

Lots of valid points here :thumb2

I am only guessing.
In the car world, only a few cars rely on navigation based on the owners phone, while the majority base their solutions on a built in navigator and every function working without the need for external equipment. One exception is music inputs..
However, bikes have slightly different needs than cars.

Time will show what happens, in the mean time we may have fun guessing what's to come :friday

Lots of valid points here :thumb2

I am only guessing.
In the car world, only a few cars rely on navigation based on the owners phone, while the majority base their solutions on a built in navigator and every function working without the need for external equipment. One exception is music inputs..
However, bikes have slightly different needs than cars.

Time will show what happens, in the mean time we may have fun guessing what's to come :friday

Yes - it is definitely an interesting topic. Good point that the different needs of bike navigation might mean a different approach from manufacturers - so in the case of BMW they probably can't just replicate the built-in navigation systems from their cars, which I am assuming (not being familiar with their cars!) are map based A to B type systems where the user has limited input to the routes chosen.

It is interesting that they have provided a simplified non-map based version of that type of system on the bike TFT, but have chosen to drive it from a smartphone rather than a built-in system, which may be a clue as to future directions.

Keep up the speculation! :thumb2

If you look at the picture, the GPS display in this case shows 4 numbers of interest. These numbers could easily be placed in vacant space on the display.
Further, if you remove the GPS there will be room for a larger display.
An iPad or a Samsung pad with 10" screen would easily fit. They come with all the DataPower needed, including a GPS receiver. All that is needed is a CAN-bus interface, the rest is up to software.

It (a larger display that is) will come. The question is, who will be first. Both Ducati and KTM has been ahead of BMW when it comes to using flatscreen displays, even if, as of now, I think the BMW display by now is the best looking.
But I don't think for a second that the others are sitting there just watching…
This will be good for all of us, regardless of preferred make of bike.

What I like about this arrangement (and I use the same thing on my XR) is that it puts the speedo (actual speed) right near your line of sight. Very important in these revenue-obsessed times....

What I like about this arrangement (and I use the same thing on my XR) is that it puts the speedo (actual speed) right near your line of sight. Very important in these revenue-obsessed times....

Jepp.
I don't think it is a bad setup per se. I also like that you may choose between 1, 2, 4 and 8 values to be displayed, and that you may alter between the info and navigational map by one simple click on the wonder-wheel.

But in a larger perspective, and knowing what is possible, even by current technology, it seems like a lot of wasted space. Also, separate bt connection for either unit seem to cause a bt havoc for many types of headsets.

Just got a confirmation from my dealer that the Tomtom maps are just going to be added to the Smartphone app, so basically no change on the TFT screen except maybe better directions and twistie roads, however, I do not know how the TFT will do twistie roads with left and right and straight arrows...........:rob

Just got a confirmation from my dealer that the Tomtom maps are just going to be added to the Smartphone app, so basically no change on the TFT screen except maybe better directions and twistie roads, however, I do not know how the TFT will do twistie roads with left and right and straight arrows...........:rob

And first exit at roundabouts always shown as straight on !!!!

Back
Top Bottom