Overdrive 6th gear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Made a start.

Attachments

• 5620F04C-4011-4DD3-9670-95B901C567DD.jpg
    5620F04C-4011-4DD3-9670-95B901C567DD.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 324
I just finished one. I had a std GS trans "GAE" and put the tall 6th from it into an EVO GSA "JAL"
The low 1st is really nice especially for two up loaded uphill starts. Not to mention offroad use.

I did wonder that, as it's only the width of the teeth that are narrower and not the hub so to speak but anyway got a Evo box for the bits just to make sure.. hoping to pull my Gsa box out late next week and get it done. I'm lucky as my mate owns a auto gearbox shop so all tools and press on hand.

I have a GSA with the low 6th. I did a 15hr straight run back from the Black Forest (1000KM) and it wasn't happy cruising above 75/80mph. Is a standard GS gearbox all that's needed for parts (excluding a load of skill) or am I missing something?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I have a GSA with the low 6th. I did a 15hr straight run back from the Black Forest (1000KM) and it wasn't happy cruising above 75/80mph. Is a standard GS gearbox all that's needed for parts (excluding a load of skill) or am I missing something?

All you need is 2 6th gears. One from the intermediate shaft (10 ton press required) and the other from the output shaft (easy to swap in any home shop)

I rode back 1800 miles from Morrocco alongside an ADV with the low 6th gearbox, i have a high overdrive 6th box.

The other bike was over 500 revs higher at the same top gear speed. Each time we filled up the low 6th put in £5 more fuel, and that was in 2009 with the lower fuel price.

Considering these bikes are around 15yrs old, I have learnt to live with it. I doubt now the cost of changing parts plus labour is beneficial.
Albeit, you can feel it at motorway speeds, on lesser roads it ain’t worth the hassle.

For 8yrs, my bike was used in the Middle East and the cost of fuel wasn’t a factor with my low 6th.

Sent from Steve's fancy iPad using Tapatalk

I just finished one. I had a std GS trans "GAE" and put the tall 6th from it into an EVO GSA "JAL"
The low 1st is really nice especially for two up loaded uphill starts. Not to mention offroad use.
so what sort of rpm you running at when doing 70mph now.

Got the bike over to me mates place this afternoon and made a start. Doing servosectomy aswell.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 235
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 231
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 230
Good work.

I had an 1150 with the high 6th and it was an absolute pleasure for long, fast motorway work..... this work will be worthwhile!

Done another couple hours this afternoon, nearly there

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 200
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 199
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 200
Build up box today after replacing 6th gear set, waiting on a clutch kit as I forgot to order on Monday so cleaned a few things, oh and the rear wheel.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 183
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 176
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 180
Bike all done, results where we'll worth it. Now running 3400 rpm at 70 mph and brakes are Beautiful without that servo.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 135
That's really excellent to get your bike to under 3500 at 70. I was really surprised when I first got mine and noticed how high the revs are at 70. For a tourer, I thought it would be much lower in 6th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom