Overdrive 6th gear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nobby

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I know there's been loads of question on fitting low ratio 1st gear in 1150 gearboxes but can I just fit a overdrive 6th gear in my endro box?

Or is there a better route like fitting an rt final drive with a higher ratio? I know that will alter all the gears and not just 6th. But I would a taller 6th Gear.

My old 1150GSA was the the same low 6th, but my last 1150Gs was an overdrive 6th which seemed to suit me a lot better. Now having bought a real nice 1150 GSA again I'm finding hard to gel with it as it is, to the point where I might fuck it off for a Rt.
My gsa also has the lower 6fh gear and after 15 yrs have learnt to live with it.
I just let the 1200’s overtake me.

Sent from Steve's fancy iPad using Tapatalk

I have an 1150 gearbox with overdrive 6th which will be up for sale for a reasonable price once I have replaced the bearings and seals. PM me if interested.

I'm running a sport gearbox from a Rockster - low first and low 6th with an R1100S final drive. With a bit of mild tuning the bike will just rev out in top. Makes for much more relaxed motorway work or fast A road hooning:augie:thumby:

My old 1150GSA was the the same low 6th, but my last 1150Gs was an overdrive 6th which seemed to suit me a lot better. Now having bought a real nice 1150 GSA again I'm finding hard to gel with it as it is, to the point where I might fuck it off for a Rt.

The higher 6th gear also uses £6 less in fuel per full adv tank than the lower 6th ( proved over an 1800 miles ride back from morrocco through Spain and France with the two bikes riding together) .

4000 rpm on the higher geared 6th is equal to 4600 rpm on the lower geared 6th.

The higher 6th gear also uses £6 less in fuel per full adv tank than the lower 6th ( proved over an 1800 miles ride back from morrocco through Spain and France with the two bikes riding together) .

4000 rpm on the higher geared 6th is equal to 4600 rpm on the lower geared 6th.

Seem to remember my old gs being better on fuel then my old gsa which my brother how has. So I would win both ways in the long run.

Seem to remember my old gs being better on fuel then my old gsa which my brother how has. So I would win both ways in the long run.

I have a standard 1150 GS with an ADV tank.. :D

I have a standard 1150 GS with an ADV tank.. :D

I went the same way, then added an R1100S final drive which has dropped the revs even further in 6th. It also means it won't hit the rev limiter in 5th, which it did before the swap.

I know there's been loads of question on fitting low ratio 1st gear in 1150 gearboxes but can I just fit a overdrive 6th gear in my endro box?

Or is there a better route like fitting an rt final drive with a higher ratio? I know that will alter all the gears and not just 6th. But I would a taller 6th Gear.

If the bike has a non evo box the conversion is fairly easy.,I’ve done a few conversions on both evo/ non evo but would need to reference my notes
Get the code off the box,rh side stamped on the case.

If the bike has a non evo box the conversion is fairly easy.,I’ve done a few conversions on both evo/ non evo but would need to reference my notes
Get the code off the box,rh side stamped on the case.
Bikes at the lockup but pretty sure it's JAM.

If it’s a jam it’s an evo box,it gets more complicated
You need the parts from another box,with standard 6th,
I’ve done a few,it’s costly cos you are combining parts from two boxes and no one will want the hybrid box you have left over

If it’s a jam it’s an evo box,it gets more complicated
You need the parts from another box,with standard 6th,
I’ve done a few,it’s costly cos you are combining parts from two boxes and no one will want the hybrid box you have left over
so standard as in thicker gear but fits evo shaft ok? Not bothered one bit about trying to sell other box after.

So a Jah or Jas evo box is needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom