Thread: Motorbikes on the Baie de Seine

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Motorbikes on the Baie de Seine

Anyone sailed on the Baie de Seine, Brittany Ferries?

I'm booked on it on the morning of the 18th September and just received the invoice etc. As a result I have a 'google' of the ship and noted that a lot of the car deck is on open decks......

Can anyone advise whether or not my pride and joy will be loaded inside the ship or will it dissolve after 30 hours on the sea swept desks??

Neil

Very unlikely, Brittany ferries have bike specific loading places, and usually you load first, and to the side of the trucks etc on the main deck. On the Spanish services you go down to the lowest deck.

Only 8 hours or so on the slow overnights

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They park the bikes underneath in the far corners, you can see it in the video below, at about 1ms 18 seconds

With a modern BMW, even if they put it into one of those storage cocoons, it'll only postpone the inevitable.

Don't you have salty air on Jersey, anyway ?

I too would prefer my bike under cover, but if it was outside and got a soaking, I'd just go to the nearest carwash station or garage and give it a good hose down.
    If you think about it, you're probably better off staying at home and looking at most places on Google Earth.

They have probably got a hose or two on the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Wapping View Post
    They have probably got a hose or two on the boat.

Yeah....go on.....hose the fecker down with seawater.
    If you think about it, you're probably better off staying at home and looking at most places on Google Earth.

Deadhead Member Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyNeil View Post
    Anyone sailed on the Baie de Seine, Brittany Ferries?

................l
    Is that the 'economy' boat down to N Spain?

If so, yes the bikes are under cover on a closed deck

I sailed on it for the first time back in June and have to say I much preferred it to the big posh boat I normally go on; the cabins are more spacious and just, well, nicer. The boat is smaller so when you're pissed at the end of the night you can actually find your cabin and, finally, as there are less people on it it just seems more relaxed without hundreds of people milling around, queueing for food/drinks etc

I did miss the spa though as I love to start my holiday with a good manicure and session in the steam room buy hey, we can't have everything.

Andres
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Martel View Post
    One of the five imbeciles of the vainglorious big swinging dick types of the Harley section

good manicure and session in the steam room

Thanks all for your input.

Yes it is the 'economy ferry' and yes I am on an island surrounded by salty sea but contrary to popular folk-law our vehicles do not disintegrate on a daily basis. I even ride past it (the sea) every day and every night on my commute and park yards away from it as I work at the Harbour.

I have found that generally speaking as long as you don't drive your vehicle into the sea or leave it in a coastal carpark during high tide and winds then there is little ill effect.

I was quietly confident that they would put the bikes under cover but all of your input (well most of it) has reassured me so I can stop fretting. Obviously my trip is just over a month away so my cherished GS may still disintegrate prior to the trip That said other folk-law suggests we are all millionaires here so I could just nip out and buy another one.........

Neil

Thanks all for your input.

Yes it is the 'economy ferry' and yes I am on an island surrounded by salty sea but contrary to popular folk-law our vehicles do not disintegrate on a daily basis. I even ride past it (the sea) every day and every night on my commute and park yards away from it as I work at the Harbour.

I have found that generally speaking as long as you don't drive your vehicle into the sea or leave it in a coastal carpark during high tide and winds then there is little ill effect.

I was quietly confident that they would put the bikes under cover but all of your input (well most of it) has reassured me so I can stop fretting. Obviously my trip is just over a month away so my cherished GS may still disintegrate prior to the trip That said other folk-law suggests we are all millionaires here so I could just nip out and buy another one.........

Neil
    Or private jet your bike across.............

Huntingdonshire (Cambridgeshire) & Bedfordshire
    When I went on that a couple of years ago the bike was put below deck - only cars, lorries and caravans on deck. It was good crossing, I liked that boat more than the big ones

Quote Originally Posted by Engineer View Post
    When I went on that a couple of years ago the bike was put below deck - only cars, lorries and caravans on deck. It was good crossing, I liked that boat more than the big ones
    Did you get a manicure also...........

Quote Originally Posted by Smogbob View Post
    Or private jet your bike across.............
    I have been on a private jet!
    I could tell you about it but would have to kill you after

Thanks all for the input. My mind is eased

Runny eggs and strangers, white lines and unmade beds.
    I have been on a private jet!
    I could tell you about it but would have to kill you after

Thanks all for the input. My mind is eased
    I've had the occasional need to board private jets, and a few more private yachts, but never actually undertaken any travel on either! (On the yachts a few of the more boat-proud skippers have tried to (a) demand we put on overshoes and (b) tell us where we can and can't go. If they ask nicely, we slip on the galoshes. If they're rude we scowl and scuff the carpets as much as possible. As for where we can and can't go... we're on the Queen's business, old love, and we'll go where we want!)

Back on topic: we were originally booked on the Baie de Seine this year but had to rebook onto the Cap Finistere. Interesting that the cabins are bigger on the economy boats, and worth bearing in mind!