R80 G/S Gear Conversion

RussT

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just returned from Spain where I met a German guy on a 1982 R80 GS . From what I could gather given my lack of German he had removed one of the gears and the starter motor . He said this made it a lot better . I understand you lose a bit of weight by dumping the e start but don't understand the removal of a gear . Anyone heard of this before ?

Just returned from Spain where I met a German guy on a 1982 R80 GS . From what I could gather given my lack of German he had removed one of the gears and the starter motor . He said this made it a lot better . I understand you lose a bit of weight by dumping the e start but don't understand the removal of a gear . Anyone heard of this before ?

I believe the very early G/S bikes only had a kick start. If you've ever tried to kick start a G/S you'll understand why all later models had an electric start fitted. The gears could be in relation to changing the final drive ratios - I think the R80ST had longer gearing IIRC or he could have been talking about changing the gearbox ratios as in the HPN and others 5th gear mod. HTH :thumb

Mine has a higher 5th on it, courtesy or Mikeyboy when I had my gearbox rebuilt last year. Makes a bit of difference, but just having the box rebuilt transformed it!

As for DrAlf's comments on the kickstart. I can start my bike by kickstart, but I'd rather not have to. It's sort of a party trick, and should be left at that unless you find yourself with a shagged starter motor. :thumby:

I read somewhere the kick start only bikes were only around so that BMW could claim low dry weight when the bikes were introduced, but it was always an option and few were sold that way.
Strange, as BMWs claimed dry weights seems to exclude things like tires and battery anyway, if you are going to match them!
My G/S came with a recent receipt for $2500 for a professional gearbox rebuild including a high 5 /low 1 conversion, but when it self destructed 20,000 km latter it was replaced with a stock box and on a well tuned bike there is not enough difference to justify the price of the gears, never mind the rebuild to install them.
FWIW The special gears were over width and should have has 30 thou machined off if the were to work.
Also read somewhere that the kick start only option included a different black box, which didnt turn off as quickly as the electric start one was reputed to do, so if you try kick starting a starter equipped bike it might be a good plan to kick it quick, and if it doeskin go switch it off for a few seconds and start again.
Only picture I ever saw of one being kick started the guy was off the bike and standing on the cylinder head, and the bike was being held up by two men in white coats-------.

The kick start only option did have a different black box, many use a replacement ( cheaper ) for electric start but you are pissing in the wind most times ! With the correct black box ( I posted on this about 20 years ago :eek: ) a simple prod/push down started the bike easily........but if not firing up after about three prods...hit that lecki starter !!:D

The kick start only option did have a different black box, many use a replacement ( cheaper ) for electric start but you are pissing in the wind most times ! With the correct black box ( I posted on this about 20 years ago :eek: ) a simple prod/push down started the bike easily........but if not firing up after about three prods...hit that lecki starter !!:D

What's a "black box" then? New one on me. My old G\S, which I still regret selling, had a kickstart. I managed to start it a couple of times but it was always a struggle.

What's a "black box" then? New one on me. My old G\S, which I still regret selling, had a kickstart. I managed to start it a couple of times but it was always a struggle.

The electronic ignition module, sits under the tank... Two types available, one for a kickstart bike the other for a non kickstart.

The kickstart module produced a spark at any crank speed however slow.
The non kickstart module needed a few RPM before it sparked.

The electronic ignition module, sits under the tank... Two types available, one for a kickstart bike the other for a non kickstart.

10/10 - thanks for the info. interesting:thumb

And there's an £84 difference (incl VAT) between the two black boxes from Motobins. Guess which one is more expensive?

How times change, I threw a tea chest full of parts away a few years ago:eek:...couldn't give the parts away. Know for a fact there were two of the kick-start ignition modules in that box !:tears

I only called it a black box because it is black and rectangular,and if I called it anything else someone would tell me I am wrong.
My read somewhere is that it is no more than a amplifier, with a thermal cut out, and the non kick start one had a higher cut out temperature.
RF might know a little more--------------
FWIW our local GMH / Holden cars of a similar vintage had the same unit that was fitted to my 75 G/S and my local auto electrician sold them for $16-, or less than three pints ( of beer) so I didn't ever feel the need to know any more than how to remove and replace them.

Never been able to start my '91 gs on its kickstart whatever I try so does anyone know why two black boxes and can the kickstart module be fitted to the later electric start with kickstart? ....sounds odd this, if so why make the newer module anyway, must be a reason? :confused:

I think I saw video of French cops kickstarting their bikes while sitting on them - pah!

One other thought crossed my mind regarding these things is that one designed for use on a kickstart only bike would reasonably be expected to always have full battery volts, whereas one for a starter equipped bike might be expected to perform with considerably less, particularly with a wet battery on a cold morning.
I have a vague recollection of my points equipped cars having coils designed to work on 8 volts,
and some sort of circuitry - ballast resistor? which reduced the voltage to them once the motor was running.

Back
Top Bottom