r 60/5 drive shaft seal

centurion

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all, towards the end of my recent trip the seal between the drive shaft and bevel box failed dropping the oil from the shaft into the bevel box. I have drained off the excess oil and the level in the bevel box is stable. From what i can make out replacing the seal which is in the input end of the bevel box requires special tools and may not be easy in your own garage. I may do it or get someone else to do it in the winter.
BUT in the meantime does it have to run in oil. Is it possible to take the bevel box off and just grease the splines with a suitable lubricant (optimol) as per the dry shafts in paralevers etc and if not why not?. Any views???
regards Centurion

It’s certainly better for it to run in oil ,as you may have noticed,the bevel input gear/spline has a slight curve on it to allow for the single u/j and misalignment as the suspension moves.
I can’t see grease staying put very long.
It’s not a big job to replace the seal,I could do it while you waited if your in my neck of the woods in the near future.

UJ might be a Problem too - they are sealed and grease packed on the paralever, but yours might depend on the shaft oil for lube, and cooling, by now, even if they started life as grease packed too.

Hi, thanks for the responses, the matter is now resolved, I could go into detail but don,t want to bore you any further.

Well I suspect it was a case of yours truly not carrying out proper examination of the apparent problem and jumping the gun, So to give you all a snigger or be as puzzled as me here goes. I planned to do Lands end to John o groats and finish at the VMCC rally at Comrie near Crieff. I checked and topped up the transmission oils gearbox shaft and bevel box before setting off from Northumberland to Lands end. I then did most of the journey with no issues. We stayed near Wick and arranged the journey to JOG from there and return to the same B&B. After JOG I stopped near Thurso and noticed oil weeping from the drilling under the centre of the bevel box near the rear wheel spindle boss. When we got back to Wick I had a closer look The oil weep had not got any worse and the rear brake was working fine with no oil dripping fron the bottom edge of the drum. I took the filler plug out of the bevel box and found the oil level in it well above the bottom threads of the filler. so I drained some out and checked it again at the the correct level. I assumed probably wrongly that the excess oil had come from the drive shaft. I didn,t check it then because I thought if Its low there is no point in topping it up as it will just drain into the bevel box again. when i got home I posed the question in the thread without looking in the drive shaft (oops). Following the responses on here and research on the BMW owners site. I did what I should have done to begin with and checked all the levels again. the gearbox and bevel box were up to the correct levels. I drained the shaft and got about 105 ml out of it which from what I can make out from the BMW owners forum is about what you should expect to see. All I can conclude is that I may have slightly overfilled the bevel box before setting off. The day we went to JOG was the hottest day of the trip and the oil got hot and expanded out of the drilling. Whatever ,it all seems to have stabilised

Back
Top Bottom