10,000 miles with the Anakee Wilds

Deleted account 200123001

Reaction score
I'm coming up for nearly 10K on the AW's now having gone through 2 rears and about 2/3 through the first front.
All this done in about a year.

They have been ridden in heavy rain, snow and on greasy trunk roads and crisp try tarmac.
They've driven the bike over a wide variety of surfaces off road bar deep sand.

So....conclusions.

The front is noisy! It howls at 60mph on my GSA LC, though someone I know on an F8GS reported it was worse at 80.
It's worse with an open face helmet but close the visor and it's okay, with ear plugs it's no bother at all.

Others have said they don't like the "tip in feeling" personally I don't notice it at all, tyre pressures perhaps?
A friend on an 1190 went through a rear in 3K,....yes you do need to be gentle with them to get over 5K.

Offroad their performance is excellent and they serve the big GSA well, running a 1.4/1.6bar pressures F&R is not really noticeable for when your darting between green lanes allowing you run the pressures low for either loose / muddy tracks or rocky trails that need a pliant tyre to contour. They seem to kick sideways less than say a karoo 3, having watched a hexhead with them try and get over the same rock slab its seemed to slide sideways more.

They got a proper battering at the weekend doing part of the peaks T.E.T, I dropped the front to 1.3bar and there were some big rocks to contend with going north-iish (especially cumberland cottage and three shires heads). only having a couple of mm of tread in the middle of the rear made getting up some some of the trails a bit difficult but I managed them all, though could have probably lost a bit more pressure from the rear.

As for on road performance, no qualms there either, the rear has only let go a couple of times both caught by the TC simply because I was being a ham-fisted goon with the throttle.
I've no qualms about learning the bike right over and in heavy rain they are brilliant, as the huge tread blocks easily displace the water.

However, I would not recommend these as a road tyre if that's all you ever ride on.
They are a 70/30 - 50/50 (depending on your view) offroad tyre so you need to always bare that in mind. If you don't go easy on the road you will burn through them, those blocks are soft to give you grip so hard acceleration will destroy them, you'd be better with a k60 or TKC70 if you want to just tackle light gravel lanes or shitty back lanes strewn with farm yard droppings.

I was going to try either an Mitas E10 or E07 dakar for the rear, but...I've gone with another AW better the devil you know I suppose. I've no issues with mixing tyres. 5k should now see me through till the new year.

I've heard a few people say when they are getting into riding these big bikes they will get a more aggressive tyre once they get better an do more.

IMHO, that's simply not the way it works.

If you don't have grip you have no confidence and with these big bikes you need both in bucket loads. You need an aggressive tyre to begin with to make up for a lack of skill. As you get better then you can go for a more road biased tyre once you have some skill. I may drop to a 50/50 tyre at some point such as the K60 scout or E07 dakar but for now I'm quite happy to live the with AW and its compromises as my commute means its only a few miles of motorway the rest is an urban environment with filtering, this may not work for everyone, so a second set of wheels might be a better set up.

There is a clip on here somewhere of user 'Pacific' riding a Rallye in wales with some fairly road oriented tyres. don't know him personally but I'd say quite skilled rider to get the bike up the tracks he did on those tyres.

Having ridden on TKC80's (though not extensively) I can't say there is much difference, but the rear seems to last longer. Offroad and on road performance seem as good.

3rd AW rear on its way and will be fitted at the weekend ready to go play in wales the weekend after.

Back
Top Bottom