tell me about hypermotards

Bloomers100

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have the space for a Ducati of some sort in the garage having passed on my lovely K1300R. I think I like the idea of a hypermotard, strong performance in an urban package but I have some questions:

1) Do they turn you into an imbecile as soon as you leave the drive?

2) What is there to choose between the different engine sizes ie 800,939, 1100 is the 800 enough and does it sound good or like a breathless mower.

3) I like exhaust character (noise), termis essential?

4) do they all come with rider aids

5) Anything else you think I should know? I have an 1150 gs so don't really want a multi strada. I like the idea of a diavel but they're a bit pricey.

Fill me in or make a suggestion. Ciao.

Righto

The 939 SP is the best and no arguments please

Termi is essential for 2 reasons. (1) because its a Termi and looks and sounds fantastic. (2) it comes with an up map that sorts out all the horrid fueling issues. I am a big believer in Hilltop and contacted geoff shortly after i got mine and had a long chat and he was of the opinion that the up map is as good as it gets and i would be wasting my money with him.

Plenty of rider aids ABS and traction which are fully customisable in the menus so you can set it up how you want. The SP has rain, sport a.d race modes ( with the up map) rain is way too intrusive on default settings. Race is a bit barking mad Sport is enough although as said customisable in each setting.

I came to mine from an XR because the XR was too much or only worked well at daft speeds the Hyper is IMO actually quicker on a decent B road blast than many many bikes as it just carries so much corner speed and fires out so quickly ( often on the back wheel) its just fucking brilliant.

I also have the lower journey seat and i find it as comfy as any bike i have ever owned and i do quite lengthy tours and trips. It is a bit of a drag on motorways but on anything else it just excels.

It can turn you into a bit of a slow speed loon. When i say slow speed the bike is capable of well over 130 MPH if you can hang on to it but you dont find yourself wanting to do that ( as I did on the XR) just explore the grip and precise wasp like handling at 80 90 and it is unbeatable for riding pleasure.

Dont get worried about reliability either as 8k in and the only issue i had was a dodgy sprocket carrier which was well sorted under warranty.

Build quality is excellent

I usually change my bikes like i change my underpants, every 18 months or so but there is nothing currently out there that i would swap it for.

Righto

The 939 SP is the best and no arguments please

Termi is essential for 2 reasons. (1) because its a Termi and looks and sounds fantastic. (2) it comes with an up map that sorts out all the horrid fueling issues. I am a big believer in Hilltop and contacted geoff shortly after i got mine and had a long chat and he was of the opinion that the up map is as good as it gets and i would be wasting my money with him.

Plenty of rider aids ABS and traction which are fully customisable in the menus so you can set it up how you want. The SP has rain, sport a.d race modes ( with the up map) rain is way too intrusive on default settings. Race is a bit barking mad Sport is enough although as said customisable in each setting.

I came to mine from an XR because the XR was too much or only worked well at daft speeds the Hyper is IMO actually quicker on a decent B road blast than many many bikes as it just carries so much corner speed and fires out so quickly ( often on the back wheel) its just fucking brilliant.

I also have the lower journey seat and i find it as comfy as any bike i have ever owned and i do quite lengthy tours and trips. It is a bit of a drag on motorways but on anything else it just excels.

It can turn you into a bit of a slow speed loon. When i say slow speed the bike is capable of well over 130 MPH if you can hang on to it but you dont find yourself wanting to do that ( as I did on the XR) just explore the grip and precise wasp like handling at 80 90 and it is unbeatable for riding pleasure.

Dont get worried about reliability either as 8k in and the only issue i had was a dodgy sprocket carrier which was well sorted under warranty.

Build quality is excellent

I usually change my bikes like i change my underpants, every 18 months or so but there is nothing currently out there that i would swap it for.

What Rick said....... mostly :thumb

For me it is a complete departure from my usual steed. I swapped my 2018 GSA for the 939SP and so far I have thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

Point 1) It can turn you a little imbecilic if you let it, so you might need to control the urges (or not).

Point 2 ) No knowledge, but it sounds bloody good!

Point 3) The bike sounds awesome with the full Termi on, pops and crackles with impunity, so that is a must.

Rick makes mention of the lower journey seat, but I went the other way with the taller race seat, and it is extremely comfortable and very grippy too.

My contrast (garage Queen) is the K16 GT Sport which is super smooth and all day comfortable (best bike on the planet by far :augie ) and my weapon of choice for any long distance, but for sheer out and out fun and the huge grin factor the fiesty 929SP ticks the boxes for me.

Like Ricks says above, gave one a test for fun, thought I was 16 again, it sends the wrong signal to the brain..........:D

I'd completely missed that there was a 950 coming out, the vid I watched on youtube where the project lead was interviewed said the standard 950 has high quality parts on it, the 950sp is boisterous and track orientated.

Any good as an only bike, Rick? How are 300 mile days on it?

How about a good old euro 3 899 :beer:

Fab bikes and unbelievably competent at scratching, touring or bimbling.

36473326236_647102b682_b.jpg

RBW.

Rick , what mileage are you getting to a full tank ?

I have never pushed it past 150
Thx

Any good as an only bike, Rick? How are 300 mile days on it?

I manage and did a good 2600 miles in 8 days Spain and Portugal Shit on motorways TBH but other than that try one you will be smitten

I'd completely missed that there was a 950 coming out, the vid I watched on youtube where the project lead was interviewed said the standard 950 has high quality parts on it, the 950sp is boisterous and track orientated.

The 950 does look really lovely but apart from a few more CCs brings nothing extra to the party as the Euro 4 malarkey has meant that the BHP and torque figures are pretty much the same as my SP

The under tail pipes look lovely though but would bugger up my ventura luggage solution until they sort that.

Maybe next year as i still can't find a bike i want to swap mine for and that is unusual

I manage and did a good 2600 miles in 8 days Spain and Portugal Shit on motorways TBH but other than that try one you will be smitten

Cheers Rick , and the tank mileage ?

I use Ventura too :rolleyes:

Cheers Rick , and the tank mileage ?

Sorry i thought i had done that

I have never pushed it beyond 150 miles on a full tank and at that i am getting panicky but i honestly think it would go to 200 if ridden steadily. It is a 16L tank but i am not certain how much of that 16L is useable if you know what i mean

Any way 150 is enough for me

I had 821sp

Dodgy standard seat with a ridge, swapped It out for a performance one
Tank range average
Brakes and handling very very good
Wind protection ok.
Comfort good (6’2)
Quality excellent
Tall bike

Wish id kept it they are a fun bike n polished performer with quality components, not really a 2 up bike though (surprise surprise!)

Back
Top Bottom